Probiotics for babies?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was doing some reading and have read that it is a good idea to give infants on up probiotic supplements to help with their gastrointestinal tract....

Anyone have any input on this subject? Or where I might be able to get infant probiotics?
January 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
buy at a health foods store. or get reg ones and open capsules.

January 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are ther any you recommend?
January 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used Baby Jarro, it works great. We used it a few times to help battle thursh while breast feeding. It was the only thing that worked and it only took 1 day to heal the baby.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Would probiotics help with baby gas?
January 9th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I started giving them to Kya because she seemed to be having problems when I ate dairy. After a few days those problems went away completely. She rarely has painful gassy episodes now, though she does pass gas a lot (but that's mostly normal for babies). I just got capsules and opened them, put a little on my finger and let her suck on my finger. They do sell baby ones, I heard target has a liquid infant probiotic...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 9th, 2010, 06:44 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I peronally would not give my very young infant probiotics on a regular basis, but that is just me. Maybe occasionally but not everyday.

Does Noelle have stomach pains type of gas? Gripe water works really well for that.
January 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I second gripe water for gas it works great. We only used the probiotics when we had thrush, and then occasionally after that to help keep thrush at bay.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I don't give them on a regular basis either, just when she seems to have an upset tummy

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Oliver is on probiotics until Feb. The pedi wanted all the kids on them and vit D through the flu season.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

January 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I went and bought Gripe Water but was hesitant to give it to Noelle fearing a allergic reaction... I was too afraid but gave her some finally today because she gets the hiccups all the time and they are painful... it helped the hiccups...

I also went and bought Udo's Infant Probiotics and gave her that today just one dose and probably won't do it everyday because you get a small amount and they are expensive. But it just seemed the Mylicon wasn't cutting it for her gas and I found that dairy was a culprit of her gas but she still has it so I am trying to give her relief while I figure out what I am eating that is giving her gas so bad...

I had read so many articles on Probiotics for helping infants with gas and figured I might as well try it, I hate seeing her in pain....
January 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yes, by all means! I was just saying at her age she probably doesn't need it everyday- give it to her as much as you think she needs but once that is all set, then just once in a while.

If you get the baby's bliss brand gripe water it has no alcohol or preservatives or anything else yucky. I hesitated to give it to Cadie for a while too but then kicked myself once I did because it helped so much. Her belly was HUGE and I didn't know it was the gas doing it. I cut out dairy and also figured out onions gave her horrible painful stomach pains. That was actually much harder for me to give up than the dairy.
January 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
yes, by all means! I was just saying at her age she probably doesn't need it everyday- give it to her as much as you think she needs but once that is all set, then just once in a while.

If you get the baby's bliss brand gripe water it has no alcohol or preservatives or anything else yucky. I hesitated to give it to Cadie for a while too but then kicked myself once I did because it helped so much. Her belly was HUGE and I didn't know it was the gas doing it. I cut out dairy and also figured out onions gave her horrible painful stomach pains. That was actually much harder for me to give up than the dairy.

I only plan on using the Probiotics on days that she seems really gassy... it seemed to help her the other day, and I have given the Gripe water but it didn't seem to help her gas but has helped her hiccups tremendously. Noelle gets hiccups at least 3-4 times a day!!! And they cause her pain... or so it seems she cries out after every hiccup and you can tell its one of those inwards, taking in air hiccup... so I give her the gripe water and it pretty much ceases her hiccups...

I have cut out dairy for a week now, and her gas has subsided sum... I am on to drinking soy milk and not eating any cheeses or yogurts. She got gas bad last night because I just HAD to have a chicken ceasar salad and I am thinking salad does not agree with her... but the Probiotics seem to help IMO for gas, and the gripe water for hiccups... I just hate seeing her in pain
January 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Some babies that have a problem with dairy also have a problem with soy, so pay attention to how she reacts to that too.

Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search