Help please!!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2010, 09:57 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't usually post here because I do get epidurls. But I LOVE lurking and learning from you ladies and reading your stories. I was wondering if any of you could advise me on an issue. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to belong here more than anywhere else.
I am due in April. My daughter who is now 13 months old, is still nursing and we have no plans to wean her at all. I can't be in the hospital and away from her for 2 days. She NEEDS to nurse. I know she doesn't need it nutritionally but she NEEDS it comfort wise. I feel it would be mean and cruel to just dissapear for two days and expect her not to have problems. So, I was thinking of leaving the hosptial a few hours after the baby was born and taking her(the newborn) to the pediatrician's office to be checked out again the next morning to make sure everything was fine. However, I now have come to learn that in some states this isn't possible - that you can check yourself out AMA but not your baby. I called the pediatrician's office to see if see if they could advise me on the legality of checking out my newborn AMA after birth and the nurse said she'd talk to the doc and call me back. She called back a short while later and said "Dr. Young feels its far too dangerous for you to leave the hospital with the baby before 24 hours post partum. She is willing to discharge her at 24 hours if everything looks good but not before."
Okay, now that wasn't what I was asking. Respectfully, I wasn't asking the doctor's opinoin, I already knew what she would THINK, I wanted to know about the legality of the issue- as in is it my right in IL to discharge my newborn or do they require the baby to stay.
So, does anyone know the law in IL regarding this issue? IL is not a homebirth friendly state so midwife attended homebirth isn't possible here unless you do it "undercover" and then it wouldn't be covered by my insurance. Plus, honestly (and I know this isn't popular here, so my apologies in advance) I like the option of pain relief though I wish I were able to do without it. It's the stuff that occurs after the birth that drives me insane- all the unwanted intrusions from hospital staff. I'd really rather just go home and be able to be with all my children. I really am angry at having to pick between getting the birth I want or giving the hospital control of my newborn and my life. So, anyone know anything?

Thanks ladies, I do really enjoy reading your stories and have learne a lot from you. I admire your strength.
angela

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
noworries
I'm not sure. Can you call the hospital you are planning to birth at and see if you can get any answers from them?
January 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it could be tough. I had my daughter in a hospital and we checked out a day and a half later. We were ready to leave early the second morning but it took forever for them to get everything all set for us to go. For a hospital that is probably the best you will be able to do.

Can your daughter come to you and nurse in the hospital? I still nurse my 2 year old but we have spent a few weekends apart and she does ok.

at a birth center, you *have* to leave by 12 hours after the birth, but they don't so epidurals.

I'm sure someone else will have more helpful info for you than I do.
January 11th, 2010, 11:33 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I dont really have any advice with our son he had an extremely low blood sugar and was an antibiotics for an infection after birth so we had to stay for 48 hours. Well he did I didnt but was nursing so they let me stay as well. With our daughter we were discharged before 24 hours. I hope you can find someone to answer your questions hun. I agree about calling the hospital and see what their policy is about children being there. It may be a little difficult because some hospitals have changed their policies because of H1N1 and the flu but I think calling them is a great idea.

January 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
At our birth center (no meds) you can leave 4 hours after birth if you feel up to it. The hospital wanted to keep me for a while, but i left 1.5 days later.

January 11th, 2010, 03:26 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you absolutley can sign you baby out ama. it's your kid, and you have the right to cgoose to take them out of the hospital. however it may be hard.... they can be real manipulitive- like getting dcf involved, making threats, scare tactics, or being discharged from care by your pedi......

even tho you'd prefer pain meds (and i understand that! my clients do sometimes, and i personally do see the appeal) a free standing birth center may be better, b/c they'll discharge you 4-8 hr postpartum. you can learn lots of good tactics for minimizing/coping with pain.

hth. if not- maybe practice 1 night before the birth, so you can see how it will be on both of you........

January 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I got a similar line from the midwives at the hospital I was considering using for this birth. Not that it was against the law to check out, but that my insurance wouldn't pay if I checked myself or my baby out AMA. I have also heard the horror stories about hospital staff calling in CPS and whatnot. It's terrible that they use these intimidation tactics.

Try calling the hospital directly, maybe there is someone in a patient advocacy role who can help you get the real answers?

January 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Angela!

The first thing I would be worried about in checking you and your baby out AMA would be your insurance covering the delivery. If they're not going to cover it, you want to know that in advance.

I have no idea if it would be legal to check your baby out AMA. Did you check with the hospital?

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

January 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's your baby, you make the medical decisions for her/him so you CAN sign AMA... The hospital or state is not responsible for your kid...

I know we weren't able to leave until 24hrs after delivery cuz they did a 24hr birth check-up but I don't see why you can't deliver, leave when you feel ready and call your pedi to do a check of your newborn at 24hrs...

Why can't your DD come to the hospital to nurse?? Sorry if I missed something
January 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Will they not let you have your older nursing child there? my hospital's policy is if you're breastfeeding, that child can be there 100% of the time as long as there is another adult (such as the father) to tend to him/her. My hospital is very pro bf'ing though...my midwife bf all 6 of her kids past 3 years, and the OB she works with is still bf'ing her 4 year old, 2 year old and 18 month old

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for all the answers
I would consider a birth center- but here in IL it is so darn midwife unfriendly that to my knowledge there are not any birth centers in my area. Homebirth is legal or course, but illegal for a midwife to attend. Dh nor I would be comfortable going unassisted.
I would love to try again for a natural childbirth (which would make it even sooner that I felt ready to leave the hospital) but I am afraid of failing again. Last time I made it to 7 centimeters and then caved. So I'm not totally confident in my ability to go without the epi- espicially in the hospital where I know its available.
If CPS gets called, is there anything they can actually do about me checking my baby out?

I did learn good news- the hospital lifted the swine flu restrictions so I could have Bree come up to nurse! Still not super convienent (we are almost an hour from the hospital ) but much better than being told she can't come up, or having to nurse her in the parking lot!
Thanks so much for all the input ladies!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 12th, 2010, 07:04 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well that's good!
January 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad your little girl can come!
By the way - I do think you belong on this board You say you want a natural child birth but at 7 cm you 'caved'. First of all - don't be so hard on yourself. You want it - so come here and talk about it and be supported! We will all still love you even if you end up needing the epi (at least that's the vibe I get! LOL). A woman does the best she can in the situation she is in!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search