waterbirth questions :) x posted in homebirth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
did anyone have or is planning on having a waterbirth?? We're planning one, but I do have some concerns/questions. I think we'll be using the Birth Pool in a Box.

which tub did you use? How did the water stay warm? When did you get out? after the baby is born or after the placenta is birthed? What if the water gets too hot? Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"? Did you tear? How did you fill it and drain it? what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)? was it nasty sitting in the bloody water? weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed?

ok thats all. lol.

Mama to Valley, Lyric
Levi 9/2009 & Mara 9/2013

My Ovulation Chart

Cycle 7: trying that "relax and let it happen" method again

January 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a waterbirth, but I can't answer most of those questions. My birth center had big tubs in each room, so they simply drained them and filled them up as they needed.

The water never was too hot, we always tested it when we turned it on to make sure it was the right temp. I did think it helped, I chose to spend most of my labor in the tub and I only got out because I was worried that it was slowing my labor down because I was too relaxed (that was an hour before she was born, so I was wrong ) I didn't tear at all and she was born in her sac, so that may have helped too. I never thought twice about sitting in the tub after she was born, even though it was a little dirty. I was holding my new baby, it didn't bother me one bit After I got out, I dont' remember being freezing, probably a little cold, but I got right into a warm bed.

January 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
We planned one, but things happened too fast so I didn't make it to the birth pool.

Quote:
which tub did you use?
Midwife has Aquadoulas.

Quote:
How did the water stay warm?
It comes with a heating system. It keeps it at the temperature of the water you put in.

Quote:
When did you get out?
N/A.

Quote:
What if the water gets too hot?
If the water isn't hot enough you can add boiling water and if it's too hot you can just add cold water.

Quote:
Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"? Did you tear?
N/A.

Quote:
How did you fill it and drain it?
Hers came with a fill and drain pump. Fill the bathtub with water and stick the pump in it. It transfers the water from the tub to the birth pool.

Quote:
what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)?
The blood will just drain with the water and you take the sac/placenta out.

Quote:
was it nasty sitting in the bloody water? weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed?
N/A. But if the heater is turned up there may not be a big temperature difference.

Pax, Aeon

January 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
that's a lot of questions!! lol

I've had two waterbirths and one waterlabor/land birth. I'll use my home waterbirth to answer your questions though since its more pertinent information

which tub did you use?
The La Bassine pool, my MW provided it. I liked it a lot!

How did the water stay warm?
we filled the tub with straight hot water until it ran out and then cold water until it was a good temperature. Ever half hour or so we'd add a bit of hot water so it stayed at a good temperature for the whole time I was in (about 2.5 hours)

When did you get out? after the baby is born or after the placenta is birthed?
I stayed in the tub about 20 minutes after she was born, placenta was birthed after about 10 minutes

What if the water gets too hot?
We didn't have that problem, but you can just add some cold water to cool it down.

Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"?
Yes it did, intially the change is dramatic, but as you get into transition it hurts not matter where you are!! LOL I've never gone through transition out of the water so I'm not sure if it would be more or less painful.

Did you tear?
no. I only tore a teeny tiny bit with my second baby (also a waterbirth) but it wasn't even worth stitching, no tearing with my other two

How did you fill it and drain it?
We had the tub really close to our kitchen sink, so we bought a "leader hose" that was 6' long and attached it to our faucet and filled it that way. Draining, I'm not entirely sure because I wasn't there but I believe they used a longer garden hose and siphoned the water out into the yard.

what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)? was it nasty sitting in the bloody water?
There wasn't really any blood in any of my waterbirths. With Kya there was a ton of vernix, but it actually was kinda cool, felt like I'd had a spa treatment afterwards! It didn't bother me at all.

weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed?
Nope, by the time I got out my house was over 80 degrees because of the hot water and tub so I didn't really get cold. I went straight to the bathroom and took a shower and then climbed in bed right after, so I never felt cold.

All three of my birth stories are posted in the subforum if you want to check them out Welcome!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had two waterbirths and plan for this one to as well. I had my waterbirths at a hospital, so they set it up, kept the heat contant with a heater, and did all the work. I delivered the placenta after moving back to the bed, but don't remember lots of blood in the pool, just a little. I also don't remember being cold, but with just delivering, there is so much adreniline, I didn't notice. I also didn't tear when I waterbirthed, the only times I didn't. Hope that helps!

January 13th, 2010, 06:20 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
you use a fishtank net to scoop up anything that is floating around.

otherwise, I plan on having one but I am still early in pregnancy so I don't know any details yet. With my daughter I spent some time in the bathtub at home and it helped me tremendously. I had horrible back spasms from Fibromyalgia and it really really helped with those.
January 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I was going to add was that we used a fishnet to scoop up floaters too. I tend to poop while pushing. I delivered the placenta in the water and the midwife cleaned everything so I don't really know about the cleaning. I wasn't cold when I got out. I was too pumped up to even think about it! Like kellilee, the water felt extremely great when you first get in, but things pick back up pretty quickly. The dirty water didn't bother me, but dh thought it was yuck, LOL! I don't think he will ever get in the tub with me while birthing after seeing it.

Thank you Claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!!!
Click HERE to see my belly pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search