Log In Sign Up

the clock is now running...


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
January 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,786
Well, as of yesterday evening, I have a date set for induction.

I had my NST and AFI (non stress test and fluid level check) and though my BP is great and baby is moving around and getting heart rate accelerations just as he/she should, my fluid levels were REALLY low (5.68!!!) and baby is measuring a little on the small side. I'm lucky they didn't send me up to L&D right after my appointment! I went over to my OB's office after I left the Perinatal unit, and she checked me and I'm only at 1cm and 30% effaced, and baby is still way up high, not at all engaged. So between that and the fluid levels, she isn't convinced I'm going to go into labor on my own or that baby's head will fit in my pelvis, and also feels she can't let me get past 41 weeks, so I am on the books for going in sometime on Monday to get IV pitocin, with C-section as a distinct possibility if I don't have good contractions.

I know I should keep things in perspective and be happy...the end is in sight and we'll get to meet our LO soon...but I have worked so hard for a natural birth, and been doing everything in my power to be healthy and to bring on labor, and it just all seems to be falling apart in front of my eyes, and I can't help but be terribly frustrated, scared and depressed...

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
January 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 17,089
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
((((hugs)))) try to stay relaxed and focussed and do some imagery on the baby engaging, contractions starting, cervix dialating, etc
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #3  
January 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: south eastern Mass
Posts: 13,088
I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
January 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Shore of Boston
Posts: 1,075
That is what happened to me, almost exactly... except I did get sent right over to L&D. Fluids were a 3.5, he couldn't handle contractions... but no matter what... he got here safe and sound and yours will too! And that is a big difference in fluid levels so hopefully you'll have enough to protect the cord... they were still debating me, granted mine went way of a section, it probably wouldn't have w/just a little more fluid!!!
I'm sending you all my ELV's I never used, so you should have plenty!
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #5  
January 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,796
I'm having flashbacks to my labor as well. I'm so so sorry that you're going through this. I was in full labor for 2 days but my cervix stopped dilating at 4cm so they did a NST on Devan and my fluids were at a 3. They induced me with pitocin since I was already in labor but it was the worst decision ever. I was scared that if I walked away, my insurance wouldn't cover me since I would be going against medical advice. Next time, I'll have the guts to actually speak up for myself and my baby before getting pitocin. I really hope that you can get the NCB that you worked really hard for but just know that if it doesn't happen, you're not a bad mama at all. Hugs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
January 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,687
There is no way you could have them check the levels again before induction? Your levels are low, but still within the normal range. Did they give you information on how to get the fluid levels up?

If you and baby are both fine, the NST is good and you can get the fluid levels to increase, then is there really a need for the induction and all the risks associated with it?
__________________

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
  #7  
January 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #8  
January 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
There is no way you could have them check the levels again before induction? Your levels are low, but still within the normal range. Did they give you information on how to get the fluid levels up?

If you and baby are both fine, the NST is good and you can get the fluid levels to increase, then is there really a need for the induction and all the risks associated with it?
I have a follow-up NST and fluid level check Friday morning. If things are significantly improved, I'm probably going to call OB and try to talk her out of the induction. I had ALREADY been drinking water like a fish (my urine has been basically clear for weeks now and I have basically no swelling at all, both signs that dehydration is NOT the problem) but on the advice of my Doula, I'm upping water even more (seriously going to float away...) and I also am upping my dosage of blue and black cohosh and starting to use EPO internally as well as just swallowing the gel caps 3x daily. Got my THIRD labor induction treatment from my acupuncturist this afternoon, too, and continue to walk on the treadmill and stay on my feet as much as possible. I feel like there isn't a whole lot else I can do at this point other than keep my fingers crossed and hope that a) my levels are much better on Friday and/or b) I go into labor on my own sometime before Monday morning.

It doesn't help things that my OB is going out of town Wed-Friday of next week. I know that's why she is pushing for induction on Monday. So, I do certainly have the option of saying thanks but no thanks, and risking it with the other OB in this practice (who I haven't ever met but have heard doesn't have nearly as good a rep for natural births) if I end up needing an induction sometime later in the week. I am very torn about that and think I'll probably put off making a final decision until I know how my fluids are looking on Friday.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
January 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM
sassytiff's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,853
Hello, I have been a lurker on this board for several months now. When I was pregnant with my 3rd my fluid levels were low and I had to be induced at 39 wks. They gave me the cervadil "tea bag" instead of starting me on pitocin right away and I ended up going into labor on my own just 5 hrs after they put the cervadil in. They removed the cervadil and about 5 hrs later she was born with no other meds necessary. In my book I still consider it to be an NCB. Just wanted to share with you that not all inductions end in non natural outcomes. Good Luck!
__________________
mommy of 4




Click on the photo to visit my website!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
January 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgirl View Post
Well, as of yesterday evening, I have a date set for induction.


I had my NST and AFI (non stress test and fluid level check) and though my BP is great and baby is moving around and getting heart rate accelerations just as he/she should, my fluid levels were REALLY low (5.68!!!) and baby is measuring a little on the small side. I'm lucky they didn't send me up to L&D right after my appointment! I went over to my OB's office after I left the Perinatal unit, and she checked me and I'm only at 1cm and 30% effaced, and baby is still way up high, not at all engaged. So between that and the fluid levels, she isn't convinced I'm going to go into labor on my own or that baby's head will fit in my pelvis, and also feels she can't let me get past 41 weeks, so I am on the books for going in sometime on Monday to get IV pitocin, with C-section as a distinct possibility if I don't have good contractions.


I know I should keep things in perspective and be happy...the end is in sight and we'll get to meet our LO soon...but I have worked so hard for a natural birth, and been doing everything in my power to be healthy and to bring on labor, and it just all seems to be falling apart in front of my eyes, and I can't help but be terribly frustrated, scared and depressed...


I am sorry you are going through this but as the ladies have said as long as your LO gets here safely and you two are healthy thats all that matters. I had such high high hopes for my NCB that when I got my epidural all I could do was cry and repeat "I failed Noelle" it was such an emotional labor for me and still to this day is very emotional for me...

I can't remember who said it here, but I have NCB in my heart no matter what and so do you! And remember "Trust Birth" trust your body, heart, mind, and soul and you will have a wonderful labor and healthy baby no matter what. I remind myself everyday that yet I didn't get my complete NCB I got most of it as natural as possible and a healthy baby and it has made me a stronger person.

Going through labor and delivery the way I did has given me such an experience I will never forget it. I too didn't want Pitocin and ended up getting it, I wasn't producing contractions but my water had broken... I went over 12 hours on Pitocin with pain meds and was maxed out on it for several hours... I got an epidural for roughly 2hrs and had Noelle... No matter what happens we are here for you as a shoulder to cry or vent on... but remember you can do this and have faith.

I don't know what your dosage is for EPO but the week of my water breaking I upped my oral dosage to 3000mg, was doing squatting on birthing ball, vaccuming, treadmill, and walking stairs. I had also started with eating fresh pineapple, mango, and papaya like they were going out of business....
__________________
*9 weeks * 4/11/13
*5 weeks * 6/22/13
Reply With Quote
  #11  
January 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 6,085
I hope your fluid levels are good on Friday or that baby decides to be born before Monday (or both!).
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #12  
January 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 0
Big Big Big hugs!! I agree - even if you have to be induced you could still have a NCB. I would totally ask about the cervadil first before starting pitocin. I also don't understand why they are worried you baby won't fit through your pelvis - I mean from what I have read unless you suffered some pelvic trauma or childhood bone stunting disease the chance of the baby not fitting is super super low! Honestly I think it's a dumb doctor theory for why stuff doesn't work exactly how they expect it too. You aren't going to grow a baby your body can't birth - your body know what it's doing!!!
Ok - sending happy labour vibes and big hugs. Follow your instincts - you have your natural birth in your heart - give yourself the permission to do whatever you need to do to have a good labour - be it all natural , part natural or more medical.
__________________

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
Reply With Quote
  #13  
January 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 35,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgirl View Post
I have a follow-up NST and fluid level check Friday morning. If things are significantly improved, I'm probably going to call OB and try to talk her out of the induction. I had ALREADY been drinking water like a fish (my urine has been basically clear for weeks now and I have basically no swelling at all, both signs that dehydration is NOT the problem) but on the advice of my Doula, I'm upping water even more (seriously going to float away...) and I also am upping my dosage of blue and black cohosh and starting to use EPO internally as well as just swallowing the gel caps 3x daily. Got my THIRD labor induction treatment from my acupuncturist this afternoon, too, and continue to walk on the treadmill and stay on my feet as much as possible. I feel like there isn't a whole lot else I can do at this point other than keep my fingers crossed and hope that a) my levels are much better on Friday and/or b) I go into labor on my own sometime before Monday morning.

It doesn't help things that my OB is going out of town Wed-Friday of next week. I know that's why she is pushing for induction on Monday. So, I do certainly have the option of saying thanks but no thanks, and risking it with the other OB in this practice (who I haven't ever met but have heard doesn't have nearly as good a rep for natural births) if I end up needing an induction sometime later in the week. I am very torn about that and think I'll probably put off making a final decision until I know how my fluids are looking on Friday.

I totally feel for you, you're in a tough spot. You certainly seem to be doing everything you can to help your body get ready for your birthing time. I hope that your fluids go up on Friday AND that you go into your birthing time over the weekend before Monday's possible induction. It sucks your OB is going out of town, I can understand why you'd be concerned with going with someone else... if you're going to wind up with an induction either way - it may as well be with YOUR doctor. *sigh* Tough spot. It really sucks when we get down to crunch time and have to make these kind of decisions that our body should just make naturally. It's hard to know what the right thing is to do. Hang in there.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0