Length of labor question for those with multiple kids

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My first labor was also an induction so it's hard to say but my 2nd was only 3 hours of active/transition and pushing with mild irregular contractions for about 12 hours before that (which I had been having for weeks!)

January 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Regular
My first was exactly 24 hours from first contraction to her birth, with 2.5 hours of that pushing.

My second was 4 hours total, pushing for about 20 minutes of it. Only about the last hour was serious labor though.

Wondering if this baby is just going to fall out??
January 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingpeachfish View Post
My first was exactly 24 hours from first contraction to her birth, with 2.5 hours of that pushing.

My second was 4 hours total, pushing for about 20 minutes of it. Only about the last hour was serious labor though.

You are scaring me. My first was exactly like yours. This will be my second, and we live 3.5 hours from my midwife and the nearest hospital.

January 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
frugality=reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingpeachfish View Post

After my kind of short for a first-time labor and then my 1 hour 45 minute labor for my second, I wondered the same thing! Then I had my little sunny side up girl that's been nothin' but trouble ever since, and it was a crazy 30 hours+ labor.

We just never know... you could have a one hour labor, or you could get a little stubborn third baby like I've heard so many other moms talk about.
January 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
My 3rd was actually the longest. From water breaking to delivery was 34hrs with 20min of that pushing. Ana was 18hrs from 1st contrax but had a c/s for FTP (only 12hrs after AROM). Noah was 17hrs from water breaking and I was ready to push (another c/s because they found out I had a prior c/s). No idea why my 3rd was the longest. Hopefully the next one will be MUCH shorter.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

Last edited by The Purple Butterfly; January 20th, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
January 20th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality=reality View Post
You moms with hours of pushing are amazing. I pushed for about half hour with my sunny side up baby (third), and that was the longest. My others were minutes. 4 pushes with my first, 3 pushes with my second, and the last was 6 or 7 pushes, I think-I know it's listed on my paperwork as a 7 minute pushing phase... I was a little apprehensive with him because of my third baby being so tiring, but also there was a hangup after his head was out. I lost my contractions, so I finally just pushed without one-that took a couple minutes. It may have been only 5 pushes, I guess...

At any rate... I don't know how I would take 3 hours of pushing.
I feel the same way! In fact, a long pushing phase is one of my biggest birth fears weirdly enough. But, my longest pushing (with my first) was roughly 3 minutes, my second was 60 seconds, and my third about 30 seconds so the thought of pushing for hours scares the CRAP out of me!!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 20th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My first was 10 hours long with 1/2 an hour of pushing and that was with epidural.

My second natural baby my water broke and I had her 2 hours later with ONE push.

I am nervous too that this baby will be born in my car on the way to the hospital. lol I have told DH he needs to be prepared in case he delivers the baby. The midwife says "Oh, don't worry, you'll make it. Just come sooner when the first contraction hits." With the last one my first contraction was already active labor. We'll see how this goes.

My cousin's first birth was 3 hours long and she now has 8 kids, her last one was 15 minutes and the midwife completely missed it. lol Oh and in our state there is a funny story about a mom who had her baby on the hospital lawn and she was saying how embarrassed she was. The nurse told her "Don't worry, a couple years ago there was a lady who had her baby in the elevator." The mom said "That was ME TOO!"

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

Last edited by LuvEmm; January 20th, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
January 20th, 2010, 11:37 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I was induced for my first two pregnancies so it isn't exactly a realistic comparison.

Birth daughter: 33 hour labor from when pitocin was started to delivery. No idea when active labor began...I was 17 and scared out of my mind!

Leila: Less than 12 hours from starting pitocin to delivery. I'd say 8 hours of active labor although her labor never was painful until transition even without any pain medication so it is hard to say.

Owen: Water broke at 7:47 am. Active labor after Leila nursed at around 2-4...can't remember right now! He was born at 10:15 PM.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

January 21st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
I was very nervous about the second stage with my first. I remember the nurse saying primips push on average for 1 1/2 hours and sometimes up to 3 hours. Yikes. Since she was LGA they all expected longer pushing time, but I only ended up pushing through 3-4 contractions in about 2-3 minutes.

My others were a classic case of maternal fetal ejection reflex.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search