Length of labor question for those with multiple kids

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
blue daisy's post about her birth got me thinking about length of labor. She said she had a 12 hour labor and the hospital told her to come in earlier for her next.

With Lily I was in labor from first contraction to delivery for about 6.5 hours total. I got to the hospital at 4.5cm and delivered her 3 hours later. My OB told me this time around that she'd head to the hospital first thing since usually 2nd babies come faster. My midwives (since I'm doing a home birth) have already said that the second I call (whether it is for water breaking or contractions or just thinking labor is starting) they will head over because they're pretty sure I'm going to go faster than with Lily.

So, just curious, those with more than one child was your 2nd labor faster?

January 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first labor was 32 hours (induction). The rest of them, inductions and spontaneous were all 12 hours on the dot from first contraction to baby being born.
January 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's hard to say for me because I was induced (for no reason ) with my first so it probably doesn't count. But after I was induced it took 12 hours for me to have my son. Second son my contractions started at noon on the 24th of August, but they were like 30 minutes apart, kept getting closer and closer, by 9 that night they were 10 minutes apart, 3am 5 minutes apart and I had my second son at 10:49am, so that was a really long labor. However, I really wasn't moving around that much, I was at home trying to sleep, so I think if I was up and doing things it might have progressed quicker, who knows.

Thank you Claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!!!
Click HERE to see my belly pics!

January 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My first labor was 8 hours and my second was 6 hours. So for me, yes, it was true that my second labor was shorter than my first.

January 18th, 2010, 06:09 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I wonder about this too! I showed up last time at 10cm, I'm worried this time I'll be having the car detailed after an oopsie car delivery.

Come visit my blog!
January 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every labor is different. My first two natural births were both about 4 hours. The third was induced and took about 12 hours.

My mom had 6 vaginal deliveries with her 4th child being the longest labor and her 2nd and 5th being pretty short.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
DD1: 3 hours
DD2: 47 minutes
DS1: 1 hour 40 minutes (a little slow to start due to polyhydramnios issues -- uterus had to decompress and it took some time to get into a labor pattern.)
DS2: 15 minutes

Pax, Aeon

January 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
#1 15 hours
#2 6.5 hours
#3 7.5 hours plus another 15 or so of early labor (which I didn't have with the first two)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
For me it was: (I count my hours from the time of the first Painful contraction to the time of the birth, in my 4 births that my water broke I don't count the time before contrax started).

Baby #1 - 29 hours
Baby #2 - about 8 hours
Baby #3 - about 6 hours
Baby #4 - 22 minutes (luckily I was already there, water broke at home, pit started 12 hours later at 2 a.m., felt first contraction at 2:10 a.m., he was born at 2:32 a.m.)
Baby #5 - about 6 1/2 hours
Baby #6 - about 5 hours.

I'm have a feeling this one will be under 3 hours.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

January 18th, 2010, 08:40 PM
frugality=reality
My first was about 9 hours from the time I got steady contractions. I was progressing and contracting prior to that, but they were irregular and all over the charts. They hydrated me, and they got better. 9 hours after hydration.

#2 was 1 hour 45 minutes-after crossing my legs for a while waiting on my mom and sister. I was already at the hospital because they were going to induce me in the AM.

#3 was a really unenjoyable 30+ hours of excruciating labor with a sunny side up, stubborn little girl. I ended up getting pitocin for the last 10 or so hours of labor.

#4 was about 7 hours 45 minutes. Pretty easy labor. Went super fast at the end.
January 19th, 2010, 06:22 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First labor: 17 hours.

Second labor: 6.5 hours.

So yes, it was true for me. And my second was close to 10 pounds, so it might have been even quicker if he was smaller.

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

January 19th, 2010, 07:33 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm so nervous about this- with Cadie it was 12 hours on the dot, 3 hours of pushing. That was about as fast as I could handle. This time I am prepared for it to be faster, but hoping it won't be. I'm hoping the water will help with that a bit....I dunno.
January 19th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My 3rd was my longest. I was induced with my first, but from when my water broke till she was born, it was 20 hours, with my second from the time early labor started till I delivered, it was 21 hours.. and with my third it was kinda broken up. I had early labor for 16 hours, got to 5cm, then it stopped.... the following day the same things started and after 10 hours it finally kicked into high gear and she was born 3 hours later.

Who knows what will happen this time.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
tasheroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first labor started with my water breaking at 6am, Kaylee was born 5 hours later.

My 2nd labor started right before my 38 week checkup around 10am. I didn't actually start hard labor until around 4pm that day when I went into the hospital, James was born around 5-6am. So about 13 hours.

My 3rd labor started with my water breaking at 6am, Aubree was born just minutes after 5pm. 11 hours.

So my labor didn't get shorter with each baby, however the delivery was easier with each one. Kaylee took like 15 minutes of pushing, James took 3 good pushes and Aubree kinda slid out after 1 good push. I am expecting this one to slide out without much effort on my part!! LOL

January 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I was induced with my first and that labor was about 12 hours from the first contraction. With my second labor started around 4:00 a.m. and he was born at 10:02 a.m.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
frugality=reality
You moms with hours of pushing are amazing. I pushed for about half hour with my sunny side up baby (third), and that was the longest. My others were minutes. 4 pushes with my first, 3 pushes with my second, and the last was 6 or 7 pushes, I think-I know it's listed on my paperwork as a 7 minute pushing phase... I was a little apprehensive with him because of my third baby being so tiring, but also there was a hangup after his head was out. I lost my contractions, so I finally just pushed without one-that took a couple minutes. It may have been only 5 pushes, I guess...

At any rate... I don't know how I would take 3 hours of pushing.
January 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I pushed for three hours with Bryson and it was sooooo long. I guess he was pretty big though for a first baby.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With David it was about 14 hours of labor. And about 45 minutes or so of pushing.

With Katelynn it was about 3 hours and 40 minutes. My water broke at home at 4am and she was born at 740 am.

So for me it was true. My mom had me in an hour and a 1/2 (first child) and with my sister was 40 minutes my sister was born in the hallway of a hospital lol.

January 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man, 3 hours or more of pushing scares me. I only pushed for about 30 minutes with Lily and that seemed like a long time!!

I had another midwife appt today and we discussed this again. I'm kind of scared of having a super fast labor and baby having trouble breathing. But I'm also scared of a longer labor because I'll feel like something is wrong if it takes longer than Lily's. I'm just psyching myself out.

January 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm kinda nervous about this same thing. My labor with Lily was 8 hours (from when I finally figured out I was having real contractions) and I pushed for about an hour. My midwives think that it will be a shorter labor and want me coming to the hospital when contractions are 6-7 minutes apart since I have a long drive.

My sister's first was 4 hours with 20 minutes of pushing. Her second, which was induced, was 3.5 hours from start of Pit with 15 minutes of pushing. I wish I had her labors.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search