Accepting Antibiotics - GBS

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Life is good!
Hi All,

I found out yesterday that I'm GBS +. I was disappointed but know it's not the end of the world.

I'm going to a free-standing birthcenter and work only with midwives. They suggest using the IV during labor to administer penicillin for 20 min. every 4 hours. They say it won't hinder the natural labor process and I believe them since all they do is natural births.

I know there is a lot of controversy out there over the antibiotic use. As much as I don't want to use them, I'm leaning towards accepting them simply because the contraction of GBS has such awful implications for baby.

So my question isn't about whether to accept the drug or not, I've read up on previous posts in the NCB section and have read both arguments.

I'm more curious about how many of you NCB btdt moms DID accept antibiotics and how it was to work with the IV during labor.

Thanks!
January 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I've never been GBS+ but with my 5th delivery my water broke before I had the GBS test so they really preferred I be on the antibiotics just in case. In my case, I already had an IV because labor never started after my water broke and I had to have pitocin. So adding the antibiotics wasnt all that big a deal.

However, 2 weeks later my daughter and I got horrible thrush. She was my 5th breastfed baby and that is the first time I had ever dealt with thrush and it makes me wonder if the antibiotics played any part in that. Guess I'll never know for sure. In my last pregnancy as well as this one I had the GBS test done at 34 weeks instead just to avoid the possibility of the antibiotics for not being tested.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

January 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was at a freestanding birth center and got the antibiotics for GBS. They put a small lock on my hand and every 4 hours, they pushed a bag thru the IV, then I was good to go on my way back to my laboring. It really was not that bad, but after about 20+ hours, the lock started to hurt, so I had them move it to the other hand even though it required getting another IV in. Once you are off the bag, you do not even really know it is there.

January 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an emergency induction so I was hooked up to Vancomyocin amongst other things . (I'm very allergic to Penicillin, so that's why I was on Vanco). I was in labor for 30 hours and suffered no ill effects after! I think of all the crap I was on, the vanco was the easiest

I would see if they can do the IV in your forearm. My friend from Bradley class had her IV in her forearm and it was much easier on her than it was for me (Mine was in my wrist)...I didn't want it in my hand because I thought it would make getting in hands and knees really uncomfortable...but my wrist was also really uncomfortable. That was my only issue with it! To this day, my wrist still really hurts at the IV site

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I have no experience myself, but the biggest reason why I would be nervous to take antibiotics is because of thrush. I always get yeast infections with antibiotics, and thrush is yeast. It is not something any new mom wants or needs to deal with. We had it when my daughter was a year old (not sure how) and it was AWFUL. I would cry nursing her. I can't imagine having to go through that as I was establishing a nursing relationship.

I have a lot in the subforum here on the subject- http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...trep-info.html (Group B Strep info).
January 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
frugality=reality
I tested GBS+ with my second, but I didn't have time for the antibiotics to work during labor (They take four hours to get to baby, and I was there to be induced in the AM, but went on my own and only had a 1 hour 45 minute labor). They did one injection into the IV I had in place for fluids. It was just enough to give me a nice yeast infection a few days later that I had to suffer through because you can't use those meds right after giving birth!

I had them with my third, for a long time, and suffered an even worse yeast infection and thrush (for both of us-my breasts and her mouth)! I've had an IV three times, and while it's not the most comfortable thing, there are other uncomfortable aspects of labor as well.

My midwife was going to give me the antibiotics with my fourth (at a stand alone birth center), but there wasn't time. I was already dilated to 7 and well on my way to 8 when I got there, and she said it would do no good since you need them at least four hours before the baby comes for them to do any good.

My best advice is to start taking daily acidophilus now, and don't stop until a good week after the antibiotics. I don't blame you for opting for the meds-GBS and babies is a scary thing. My friend's baby was born GBS+, and she spent a week in the NICU.

Good luck!!

PS-thrush DOES suck. And I can tell you now: the only thing that worked for us was Gentian violet. The Nystatin from the doc didn't work at all. I suffered with it for weeks with my second daughter, and again with my third. It is excruciating. Trust me: take the acidophilus!!
January 20th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was GBS+ with my first, but I got continuous antibiotics through an IV because I was in the hospital when I had her.

If you accept the antibiotics, I strongly encourage you to start probiotics before the birth. You can take the recommended dosage now, but at least double that as soon as you have your baby to help counteract the effects of the antibiotics. Thrush sucks, I've had it a handful of times, including after I had my first DD. It's even worse to get then because you dont' know if the soreness is normal or if it's because of thrush.
kellymom.com :: Q&A: Preventing Thrush

Expecting baby #4!

January 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Life is good!
Thank you all for your help and advice and thanks for the info on thrush!
January 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I got the IV in my hand and it was no problem to labor on my hands and knees and any other positions I tried. I had 4 or 5 bags of antibiotics and no issues with thrush.

January 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was on antibiotics for 30h 30 m and never had any issues with thrush

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
frugality=reality
You ladies are so lucky! Antibiotics kill off all the good stuff too that usually keep the yeast at bay! Every single time I go on them, I get a yeast infection.
January 21st, 2010, 06:17 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Current studies do not support abx for GBS (Cochrane review). Not sure if I was positive or not since the lab couldn't process the swab, but I did the hibiclens vag wash (supposed to be done in labor). It's the European protocol. Not many European countries routinely test for GBS.

January 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Life is good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAeterna View Post
Current studies do not support abx for GBS (Cochrane review). Not sure if I was positive or not since the lab couldn't process the swab, but I did the hibiclens vag wash (supposed to be done in labor). It's the European protocol. Not many European countries routinely test for GBS.
Chances of baby contracting GBS bacteria without antibiotics - 1 in 200

Chances of baby contracting GBS bacteria with antibiotics - 1 in 4000

Seems like the antibiotics do have some effect. I know there is conflicting info but my midwives advise it and I trust them so I'll follow their lead.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search