What do you friends/family think?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 06:01 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
When you told them you were planning a NCB, what kinds of responses did you get?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Most of my friends follow a crunchy parenting philosophy so I was around like-minded people in that respect. I didn't discuss my birthing plans with anyone except my mom and dad (in passing). My mom was fully supportive of our homebirth plans. She knew we were planning one with DS1, but couldn't really be involved in the whole excitement/planning process because we were in NC at the time. She was very excited this time because I moved (temporarily) to ATL while my husband is deployed. She could now be more involved in the planning process. She missed the birth, though.

She had a NCB with me.

January 21st, 2010, 07:51 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
Pretty much everyone around me IRL just asks "Why would you want to do that?". That's why I'm thankful for my online communities - there's people that actually understand me.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

January 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I didn't really get any negative comments. When I was pg with my first I got some comments from people at work, but since then I haven't really. My sister didn't really understand why I would want a homebirth, but was still supportive of the decision.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 21st, 2010, 09:00 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I got a range, everything from "that's great" to "yeah everyone wants to go natural for their first" and "you'll be begging for an epi when the ctx hit". The people who made those last comments are people I don't talk to anymore about pregnancy or parenting.

This time around I'm keeping our plans to myself unless specifically asked. Even then I don't bring up homebirth because I don't feel like debating a choice that doesn't concern anyone else. My family are the only ones who know (DH isn't telling his till after) and all but my dad have been supportive or at least neutral enough not to say negative things.

January 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM
frugality=reality
My family has always been supportive. I don't really talk to my friends about it... I actually don't have a lot of IRL friends. Most are online. So I don't honestly know.
January 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My family is totally supportive, my sisters and mom all went natural, and my mom had four of us at home. My parents both pushed for a homebirth, which I would love, but it is not supported in MO at all, and the one dr who did them passed away this year.

My friends have been ok about it. The only person who seems to think its just horrible is MIL. Even though she had NCB's, so I don't know why. I pretty much had to tell her to quit telling me I needed an epidural. That was a few months ago and she hasn't mentioned it again!

January 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very supportive. I birth at home and my Mom was a little concerned about that at first but after she attended my first home birth she is 100% on board. I have never received negative comments from friends but a lot of my friends have had a NCB so it's a good support system.

January 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Since Katelynn was an "accidental" natural birth I didnt discuss it with anyone. My mom was very proud of me and said now thats the way you have a baby. She had both myself and sister natural.

January 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
star shaped's Avatar Regular
Almost everyone I know thinks I'm absolutely insane. My mom says things like, "You are such a baby when it comes to pain, you'll be begging for drugs!" Thanks for the vote of confidence, mom!
Even my boyfriend thinks I'm nuts, but he's trying to support my decision. Sometimes I start to worry about it and he does his best to try to convince me it won't be that bad (even though, like me mom, he said I cry for an hour when I get a paper cut, so he doesn't know how I'll make it through this).

My best friend is completely supportive. We used to talk about having natural births when we were children (we were very weird kids, I guess). My boyfriend's mother is also really supportive. Thank goodness for them because they've really been my main support through all of it. Everyone else is still trying to persuade me to change my mind. What do they care? I'm the one who will have to endure the pain, not them. Most of them won't even be in the room to hear all my cries and complaints!
January 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I live 10 minutes from a hospital with a 58% c-section rate......and a 76% induction rate....i don't know anyone who was supportive, other than my online friends, and the people i met in my bradley class and and my midwife. everyone else pretty much told me i was stupid, ignorant, etc.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
noworries
Most of my friends and family are supportive or just don't care one way or another. I have one sister who thinks it crazy just because she could never do it and my in-laws weren't crazy about us planning a home birth last time but they only brought it up once and we talked and then they never said anything about it again.
January 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With Lily I got a lot of "oh, that's what all first-timers say, blah blah" but then when I had a successful NCB they all shut up.

A lot of mom friends I've met after having Lily always think it is crazy that I had a NCB though. And with this baby being a planned homebirth we've gotten a few negative comments. I just ignore it.

January 21st, 2010, 01:24 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
who cares?

Even with a homebirth, I could care less what anyone thinks. Most people in my life are slightly afraid to give me any crap, and that's the way I like it! Works perfectly that way.
January 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
Pretty much everyone told me I was crazy and I couldn't do it. Which, unfortunately, they were right, but I plan on doing it with #2! I really wish my mother was still alive, I know she would have been supportive. My boyfriend was supportive, though, and he was the only 1 that mattered. Like someone else said, so many people would try to persuade me to get an epi and I don't get why. They weren't going to be there, why are they so determined to make me get an epi? I don't plan on really discussing it next time around.
January 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
DH said, "well what hospital do you want to go to when you can't take the pain anymore?" My mom was pretty supportive -she did it twice and seen no reason why I couldn't. Friends and other family gave me the "that's just stupid when you could just get an epidural" or "why would you want to be pregnant so long (because I am known for going overdue a lot) when you could just get induced?"

Once I had went the 42 weeks and 3 days and had the natural childbirth people, my husband especially, were rather impressed. And now I can kind of rub it in that I did it even though they doubted me lol. And I remind people being pregnant for 40 weeks isn't that bad.. I went longer than that and survived! And my husband is pretty proud/impressed and has bragged to many about how his wife had a 10 1/2 lb baby naturally lol!

Facebook
January 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
After I hada talk with my mom and aunt I didn't bother to tell anyone else because of the response I got from them...

They pretty much had no faith in me, and told me I would break down and get an epidural...

Well I did get an epidural but not because of the pain, I couldn't get my body to relax enough to dilate and I was counting down to a c/section so I chose to try and epi... and it worked...

For my next pregnancies, no one but you ladies and DH will know my wants of a NCB...

I think alot of the stress from my family and hurtful things from them were also on my mind that day during labor....
January 21st, 2010, 04:46 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom had a NCB with me so she was supportive to an extent. She did make some comments about hypnobabies that rubbed me the wrong way. She also made a couple comments about how I'd be like screaming in pain or blaming my husband or something during my birthing time and that always annoyed me. So she was supportive of going drug free but still made it sound like it would be kind of awful, if that makes sense. Everyone else, literally, thought I was crazy. I was constantly told I was being a martyr. Even my doctor told me I was being a martyr while in my birthing time! My best friend wanted to know when I would go to the hospital to get my epidural... like she thought I would go get one before I even went into labor, just in case. People also asked if I would be having an elective section - which wasn't even an option for me... but seriously, why would I do that? So yeah, I didn't feel very supported... but I did it, and one of the first things I said after Lily was born was "Now I can tell everyone to SUCK IT!"

January 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most people were supportive, of course I got the occasional people that were kind of like, good luck, but doubtful, and some that were "why would u do that?" But, I just laughed it off and avoided talking to them about it any further.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 21st, 2010, 07:39 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My family and friends have always been supportive because they are all naturally minded when it comes to childbirth as well (I don't know anyone in my immediate family who's ever had an episiotomy, elective induction, etc).
My colleagues at work all think that I'm insane. They can't figure out how you could be a doctor, and Anesthesiologist at that, would purposely have a natural childbirth, especially one outside of the hospital. I just avoid talking to them about it. None of their business anyhow.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search