Weird O/T Question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
I am so passionate about NCB I want to be involved somehow! I had started the birth doula certification process right before I got pregnant with #3, but around that time I got diagnosed with RA as well and I'm thinking I won't be able to handle the physical aspect of being a doula. And that rules out becoming a midwife as well, although I don't think I could handle all of that responsibility anyway! I wanted to open a birth center (I mentioned that here) and after you lovely ladies responded I did more research and that is probably not going to happen either. I don't want to be a pp doula, I want to be a part of birth. So what other ways are there to be involved? Besides a child birth educator I can't find anything! I'm bummed! But I need this! I am so passionate about NCB, I have never been this way about anything before! I watch birth videos on youtube for crying out loud!!!

*OK you can all point and laugh at the freak now lol*
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

January 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
what about being a birth photographer/videographer??
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
January 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm not sure what you could do either but I don't think you are a freak. I think it's wonderful that you are so passionate. Keep thinking and I bet something will come to you!

January 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
being a childbirth educator would be great- although you wouldn't be present for the births themselves. But part of the big issue with being present for the births is that you need to be on call 24 hours a day, and able to leave your house for any amount of time needed, the middle of the night especially. Is this possible for you? Who would watch all your J's?
January 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
being a childbirth educator would be great- although you wouldn't be present for the births themselves. But part of the big issue with being present for the births is that you need to be on call 24 hours a day, and able to leave your house for any amount of time needed, the middle of the night especially. Is this possible for you? Who would watch all your J's?
I literally LOL at that! I would be able to leave at the drop of a dime, my DH is always available, although he would probably cry if he was left alone with all 3 while they are awake lol. I just want to be there you know, a CBE talks about the birth and helps prepare- which is awesome I think- but I want in on the actual miracle, you know?!

Kelli- that is a really good idea, but I have NO TALENT what so ever. I can't even figure out how to turn the flash off of my camera, even after reading the manuel .

Thank you Cindy! I have been thinking about this for a LONG time, and I'm still waiting haha...

January 21st, 2010, 03:11 PM
the thing about photo/video is its mostly the editing which you can learn!
January 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't tell you how much I relate to your passion! I was reading your post like YES! YES! YES!!! However, my problem is that I can't leave the house whenever because my dh travels half the week. So, my plan is to become a Hypnobabies Instructor until all of my kids are grown up and out of the house and then I will eventually become a doula, and ultimately a midwife I think. Who knows, but I've gotta do something or else I'm going to drive my friends and family crazy talking about it all of the time! LOL! I, too, watch Youtube birth videos on a daily basis. My last birth montage is on there, I wonder if you've seen mine? LOL! It's more of a family oriented one though.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 21st, 2010, 04:36 PM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What about becoming an LC. I guess its not as much in the birth process but immed. after. Mine were sooo helpful and reassuring, I want to do it too.

January 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff802 View Post
I can't tell you how much I relate to your passion! I was reading your post like YES! YES! YES!!! However, my problem is that I can't leave the house whenever because my dh travels half the week. So, my plan is to become a Hypnobabies Instructor until all of my kids are grown up and out of the house and then I will eventually become a doula, and ultimately a midwife I think. Who knows, but I've gotta do something or else I'm going to drive my friends and family crazy talking about it all of the time! LOL! I, too, watch Youtube birth videos on a daily basis. My last birth montage is on there, I wonder if you've seen mine? LOL! It's more of a family oriented one though.
Can you PM me the link to your video? I probably have seen it lol! I was talking about it with my DH and I decided I will do the child birth educator certification FIRST, then the birth doula. That would help me ease my way out into the birthing world! I have a mild case of social anxiety I think. Once I actually get out there I will be unstoppable though! It would be easier to get work as a doula that way too, students equal potential clients. I'm also doing the BF counselor course as well.I do all of the reading anyway, so I may as well as get certified while I do it lol. I think that once I start attending births I will get over this 'fear' that I have and I will make my way over to becoming a midwife or even a midwife's assistant. I LOVE the idea of being a doula, I am just scared of the responsibility and the what ifs, if that makes any sense. My doula was so AMAZING I guess I kind of started to doubt myself!

SO thats my plan! Thanks for the help ladies!

January 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
The video from Nola's birth is on youtube too, but I need to redo it, they deleted the sound cause I used a song that I didn't have "right" to you can probably find it by searching "Nola's waterbirth"
January 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I understand your passion completely. I have so many passions I know I can't follow them all so that is why I have never pursued something in NCB, but ever since my last natural birth it is so exciting thinking about doing it again. Are there no birth centers in your area? My doula friend never got certified and she is applying for a job as the receptionist at the birth center, which isn't quite IN the birthing room, but she is still quite present there. Good luck!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

January 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEmm View Post
I understand your passion completely. I have so many passions I know I can't follow them all so that is why I have never pursued something in NCB, but ever since my last natural birth it is so exciting thinking about doing it again. Are there no birth centers in your area? My doula friend never got certified and she is applying for a job as the receptionist at the birth center, which isn't quite IN the birthing room, but she is still quite present there. Good luck!
Seriously that would be ideal for me, BUT the closest BC is over an hour train ride away . This is one of the main reasons I had hoped to open up a BC by me. Maybe when my kids are in school full time I will be able to travel the distance to do so, but for now I can't be away from them that long and put that much responsibility on DH.

January 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Regular
Don't worry-- I watch Youtube birth videos all the time.

What about getting involved in advocacy or the political spectrum? Can you write letters to the folks on the hill or letters to the editor- organize rallies or birth fairs or movie nights, give speeches or start things in motion to change laws? What about working to change hospital policies? Could you start a pregnancy or mom's support group? I know of one woman who has a car seat safety club, and another that runs a babywearing group-- what about picking one aspect of pregnancy or mommyhood and focusing on that?
If there's a pregnancy center in your area could you volunteer? What about a baby clothes and equipment exchange for mom's in need? You could become an LC or birth photographer, or get involved with placenta encapsulation or art? Hmmm.... I don't know if any of this is useful- just running off ideas from the top of my head.

I'm a little bit in the same boat-- I'm a student doula and CBE, and hope to be a midwife someday. But with three kids and my dh's new schedule, I might need to back away from the doula portion of things a bit. I've thought about becoming an LC, and I would like to organize baby fairs/movie nights, or a mom's support group.
January 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingpeachfish View Post
If there's a pregnancy center in your area could you volunteer?
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I just looked into this, thanks to you , and I came across a pregnancy center! I feel really good about this! I will have to wait a couple of years, but I feel content with that. I was so iffy about my other plans and I feel at peace with this, like this is what I was looking for! SO THANK YOU!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search