Nuchal cord and vaginal birth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
~LaNa~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello ladies
I'm Lana,new to the board but not to JM.I'm due on the 12th of Feb.

I was wondering what's ur opinion on vaginal birth with already dx nuchal cord.I was told that my girl might have her cord around her neck or the shoulder.They checked for the blood flow once at 33 weeks (i'm 37 now) and it was normal...
Recently someone told me that it might choke my baby when she will engage her head in the pelvis and that i need to ask for induction or C-section at once.

My doctors aren't concerned at all but i've heard MANY horor stories
Is it true that it causes troubles when the baby engages?Mine still isn't but she's pretty low.

Should i talk to my doctor about having any kind of intervention coz of the cord placement or it's something that happens very often?

What would u suggest?Has anyone here ever had experience with nuchal cord or cord loops?

Thank you
January 22nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it's rarely a problem unless it's combined with a short cord or a true knot. Cord around the neck is very very common and not a big deal the majority of the time. Honestly its one of my biggest pet peeves to hear people talk about how the cord was around their neck and a c/s "saved" the baby. My first had the cord around her neck, no biggie, second had it wrapped around her shoulders, again no problem.

Technically the cord can't "choke" the baby as that indicates cutting off the airway, in utero babies don't breathe that way. The true culprit is pinching of the cord and stopping the blood flow and it would have to be pretty tightly pulled for that to happen.

Yes, problems can occur, just not as common as people make it out to be.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
it's rarely a problem unless it's combined with a short cord or a true knot. Cord around the neck is very very common and not a big deal the majority of the time. Honestly its one of my biggest pet peeves to hear people talk about how the cord was around their neck and a c/s "saved" the baby. My first had the cord around her neck, no biggie, second had it wrapped around her shoulders, again no problem.

Technically the cord can't "choke" the baby as that indicates cutting off the airway, in utero babies don't breathe that way. The true culprit is pinching of the cord and stopping the blood flow and it would have to be pretty tightly pulled for that to happen.

Ditto that.

DS' cord was wrapped around his neck. The midwife just slipped it over his head and then I pushed the rest of him out.
Unless the cord is short or pinched off it's normally okay.

January 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the replay
I don't know if it's tight or not.I guess the doctor would be able to see on the doppler u/s?The blood flow would be restricted right?
I have no idea about the true knot as well.But no one , except me don't seem to worry about it.
I was told few times that it's unacceptable that they didn't keep me for monitoring but again,no one think i need one.
I was also told that fetal hiccups more then 4 times a day indicates that the baby is in trouble coz of it's cord.
During the 20 weeks u/s i was told that the cord is long enough,no idea what's happening down now.
January 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
noworries
Like the other ladies said, the cord being wrapped around the neck or shoulders is actually very common and the midwife or doctor should just be able to unwrap it once baby's head comes out without any problems.
January 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my DD had the cord wrapped loosely around her neck - which my midwife explained as more dangerous because it can kind of hang the baby as they descend - which it did to my DD. She was out in 5 pushes, rushed away, given some O2 and pinked right up though. It's really common, and rarely an issue. I haven't even heard of it being as common as our situation - usually once the head is out, the doctor or midwife can just take the cord and lift it off the neck. stay away from google, and don't listen to people tell you you "need" an induction or a c/s! GOod luck!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
my DD had the cord wrapped loosely around her neck - which my midwife explained as more dangerous because it can kind of hang the baby as they descend - which it did to my DD. She was out in 5 pushes, rushed away, given some O2 and pinked right up though. It's really common, and rarely an issue. I haven't even heard of it being as common as our situation - usually once the head is out, the doctor or midwife can just take the cord and lift it off the neck. stay away from google, and don't listen to people tell you you "need" an induction or a c/s! GOod luck!
Thanks
U mean it can become tight when the baby descends to be born or engages before birth?
I know that the hr will be monitored while in labor but i fear the few weeks left before this.
January 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
totally not a concern, and cord position now means nothing about how labor cord position will be. my LO was born safely and easily with a nuchal cord.

January 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As everyone else has said it's very common. I know several of my babies had a cord around the neck at birth. My last baby was born with a true knot in her cord and was perfectly fine. I know it's hard not to worry but trust your body and baby and try to relax
January 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:

This. Nuchal cords are not associated with adverse perinatal outcomes. Cord stricture and entanglement are extremely rare and cases where a nuchal cord was present in a stillbirth can be mere coincidence. Correlation does not mean causation. Current studies do not support the idea that nuchal cords cause issues before or during birth.

Umbilical cord abnormalities (wharton's jelly defect and short cord) can be underlying causes, but nuchal cords themselves are benign and very common.

Pax, Aeon

January 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree what everyone else has said. My DD had the cord around her neck and it was just pulled over her head n i pushed her out after that. I think I read somewhere that if the cord is to tight around the neck or shoulders and causing distress while giving birth and the midwife can cut it still.

January 23rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I read it happens in up to 1 in 4 births! So don't worry too much! As far as right now - do your kick counts. If you feel baby isn't moving around right (or too much) Call you doctor right away! You know how your baby is doing

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 23rd, 2010, 06:35 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I agree with the other ladies. 5 of my 6 kids were born with the cord around their neck and it never caused any problems. My youngest even had a short cord - I remember this because I got to help "catch" him and as I started bringing him up to my chest my midwife stopped me and I couldn't bring him past my belly because of the cord length. That baby Was in the NICU for 8 days but the cord had nothing to do with it at all, just prematurity.

Even monitoring right now is not going to predict anything during labor. I would suggest just doing your own monitoring at home by doing daily kickcounts. More than once a day if that will make you more comfortable.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

January 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the replays.
I've never did kick counts coz i the baby's moving well,let say enough.
She has hyperactive periods when i get more than 100 movements in one hour and those period last up to 3-4 days.
Never,ever anyone told me to be concern or worried coz of those increases of activity even tho i've heard it has something to do with the cord.
I've been 4 times for monitoring coz of this and each time I had to invent another reason why im there coz they weren't willing to check coz of "too much movements".However each time the NST proved that she's pretty active but the HR was fine so were the accelerations.I assue if it had something to do with the cord,it would show.
Thanks again for the replays.I'm hoping that no one will push C-S on me coz of this.I really wanted to try all natural..Hopefully i will.Wish me luck
January 23rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
my daughter had the cord around her neck too, I didn't even know until much later, my midwife just quietly unwrapped it.

Good luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search