What Would You Do???

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Regular
This might end up kind of long- but I want to make sure everything gets in here. I also put this over in the homebirth section, and I'm not sure if that was ok to do...
I'm just confused, and can't hear what my intuition is saying... wondered what you all would do in my situation.

I'm only two days past due, but my original due date was the 13th, so emotionally, I feel way more post term than I am. I don't do pregnancy gracefully- I've never really liked the feeling of having a person growing in me (forgive me, but to me, the feeling is more "leechlike"). This is also my third baby, and it's been a rough pregnancy. I feel done. Like I can't do anymore. Actually I feel a lot the way Frodo must have felt trying to get up that last bit of mountain with the ring.

As of last check, I am 4-5cm's, 60%, -2, and somewhere between posterior and anterior, and very soft. This is normal for the way I labor- I was 4cm's for close to a month with both my other two before I went into labor. But until today, I wasn't experiencing much for other signs of impending labor. Just today I've started passing some bits of plug and my bh's have changed- still very infrequent and irregular, but at least more "real contraction" in feeling. Makes me think that I have made some more progress from my last check.

Other pertinent bits of info--- I haven't been able to sleep all day today or last night. My heartburn is awful and I keep choking on stomach acid whenever I drift off to sleep. I am exhausted, and I fear going into labor more exhausted than I am now.

There is a storm on the way- already twice this winter we have had storms that have shut down the interstates. I don't think I need to fear this happening with this storm, but the possibility is there, and it will at least make travel slower for my midwife, and for us if for some reason we'd have to transfer.

My midwife has two other women due NOW, like me. Between the weather and these women, she's concerned about not being able to make it to all the births.

My last labor was 4 hours total, and only about an hour of it was serious enough to make me believe it was actually labor. My midwife at the time was coming from 4 blocks away and still only made it with 20 minutes to spare. My midwife this time is coming from 10-30 miles away. I'm a bit worried about this, as well as having time for doulas to get here, and my older kids to get to where they need to be.

OK- so to the actual point. My midwife called tonight, and said that with all things considered, she'd like to come tomorrow, check me and make sure it's safe, and then break my water and get this thing going. She is quite sure it will put me into labor with no problems, and no risk. I'm not so sure I believe this-- I've always been pretty non-interventionist--and to me, there's always risks when intervening in childbirth, especially when there's not a good medical reason to do so. I fear these risks, that she is telling me aren't there. Besides something going wrong, I fear how much faster and intense the labor is likely to be. Balancing out this fear from the other side is the fear of being pregnant, getting more exhausted for another week (or two), starting labor in the middle of a storm, or when my husband is at work, having no one to take my kids, etc... There is something attractive about being able to know when it will start and being prepared for it.

The one thought that is really bothering me, that I can't figure out is this-- If I agree to this, have I somehow failed? It's still a natural homebirth. I don't understand why I feel like I might have failed somehow. But the feeling is there. I'm confused by it.

Also, I'm bothered by the pressure I'm feeling from my midwife to do this. She's leaving it up to dh and me, it's ultimately our choice. But she's made her preferences clear, and I'm a little blown away that I'm having to consider this with a homebirth midwife at all.

So there it is, and like I said, I'm just plain confused. I don't know what is the right thing to do- and I feel like I have equal amounts of fear either way. I can't quiet myself enough to hear what I am telling myself to do!

-Low risk "induction" for mostly convenience, and not for anything medically necessary?
OR
-Hang out and wait, despite the cons that come with that?

Like I said, I'm sorry this is so long- just wanted to get it all out there. I'd love any input you all have- What would you do if you were in my shoes?
January 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is clear as day reading your post what your intuition is telling you! You are clearly not comfortable with induction! Go with what you are feeling! Hang out and wait!

Thank you Claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!!!
Click HERE to see my belly pics!

January 23rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I vote hang out and wait, or use a different induction method that doesn't put you on any type of timeline.

Ruptured membranes poses risk, like infection if you don't go into labor, etc. Maybe talk to her about something else like blue/black cohosh or even castor oil. At least with those if it doesn't work you aren't forced to transfer for pitocin and all the risk involved with that.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree - I don't think you want her to rupture your membranes. There are risks - if baby is still to high up the fluid can pull the chord or a hand though - and then you might need a c section, you also have a higher risk of infection - if labour takes a while, and there is a greater risk of the umbilical chord getting squished because the water is gone. Still I expect your midwife would check to see baby was down far enough - and most likely everything would be just fine! There is the risk of getting stuck in the snow! If two of you are in labour at the same time can one of you go to the others house? It's not ideal - but babies come when they want to. I would gladly let another woman labour here - or go to her house if it came to it. Just an idea.
I guess if you decide against breaking your waters - make sure you call as soon as you think you might be in labour - given your history! And - from what I have read - babies that come fast (like in snow storms ) usually don't actually need any help at all - you would probably be fine all on your own. Do ask your midwife what to do 'just in case'.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 23rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with asking for other induction methods. Can you try nipple stim during your contractions? Sex, or just plain ol orgasms? Acupuncture or acupressure (which you can do yourself) I would try castrol oil before letting her break your bag - I don't know anything about blue or black cohosh though. It's really screaming loud and clear to me that you are really uncomfortable with the idea of an unnecessary induction.

I will keep you in my thoughts! I hope the baby comes before you even have to make a decision <<hugs>>

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 24th, 2010, 05:49 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think you have your answer! It does seem more than reasonable to try to get things going another way that you feel more comfortable with. I agree with the orgasms, have DH give you a nice foot massage- or heck, have the midwife come over and do it. Did you try spicy food and a beer or glass of wine?
January 24th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the others. I would not feel comfortable being induced that way because of the significant chance that medical intervention would be needed. You can use the other methods of stimulating labor, while knowing that if it doesn't work, you can easily continue to hang out until baby is truly ready. Once she breaks your water, it's a done deal. Good luck and keep us posted!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Regular
Thank you all! That really helped!

We've decided to wait the storm out, she's going to check me tomorrow, and if there's been progress since my last check, I'm going to try the breast pump. Maybe castor oil-- eeek.... But I'm really not ok with the amniotomy idea- which I think is a bit frustrating for her. But she's respecting it for now.

But I did learn some scary stuff about my midwife in our conversation today:

1) When I mentioned my concern about contractions not starting after my water was broken and having to transfer for pitocin, she said "Nah, we'd just put some cytotec up there!"

2) I guess she NEVER allows anyone to go past 42 weeks, even with monitoring, even if everyone is still doing fine. So my clock is ticking...

3) But we have no idea how much time is left. I have "due dates" ranging from the 13th to the 24th. She has no idea which one to use.

This lady is starting to scare the crud out of me....
January 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^Whoa! I don't know how it works with midwives, but is there another person you can go to? Does she have a backup she works with?

January 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
lilflower
I would have never thought a midwife would think to perform an amniotomy or use cytotec...eek. It's clear that you aren't comfortable with either though, so hang out and wait. As long as you aren't completely alone when you go into labor you probably wouldn't need her there. I hope you go into labor safely and easily
January 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Regular
I wouldn't have thought a midwife would consider those things either! Unfortunately, she's the only midwife not only in town, but on this half of the state. I would have to travel over three hours to get to another one (which is where her backup is) and the doc's in this town are notoriously horrible. So I guess I'm stuck. I just don't want to fight with her about this- and really don't feel like I should have to!
January 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
W T F cytotec? for real? Here we can go to the hospital get induced with a cervix ripener (preferable not Cytotec!!!! - maybe cervadil) and then get released back to our midwife once we are in labour. I would fight tooth and nail about Cytotec. - please don't let her do that. No matter what you don't have to consent to anything you don't want - and that drug is not safe for labour. Pitocin is much better.
Ok that said - it's illegal here for midwives to deliver past 42 weeks. So I'll be stuck with that time frame too. I'd say use your latest due date to give you the most time - and do some non stress tests if you can. Once you get near 42 weeks - try natural induction, break the waters or even a drug that isn't cytotec - and if you have to go to the hospital - such is life. Big big hugs and I wish I could help!

January 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What do the earliest ultrasounds have as your due date? Where are the other EDD coming from (besides your last period).

I agree with you, I would feel very uncomfortable if my midwife starting mentioning those options. Hopefull you go into labor soon though and everythign goes very smoothly!

January 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Regular
By my LMP my due date is the 13th. By "modified" LMP it's the 16th. By the first ultrasound my midwife did at 13 weeks, it's the 18th, and my first ultrasound which was done at a pregnancy center for "confirmation" purposes only by a fairly inexperienced tech, I got the 21st and 24th.
With both of my other pregnancies, I was a week behind my LMP date (I guess I ovulate a week late?), which would put me at the 20th.

Anyway you slice it, I don't think I'm past due enough to need to be considering AROM to induce!

I really do hope this is a non issue-- I've been losing plug and having some contractions, so hopefully this thing gets going and she'll leave me alone. I'm really dreading going in tomorrow...
January 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ooo - losing the plug and contractions! Sounds good! I am sure you will go into labour naturally!!! Big hugs!
"With both of my other pregnancies, I was a week behind my LMP date (I guess I ovulate a week late?), which would put me at the 20th."
- makes sense to go with that then - since an U/S said something similar - then you are only 4 days past due - which as you know - is no biggy

January 25th, 2010, 11:48 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Stay away from cytotec! It can cause hyperstuimulation, fetal distress and uterine rupture, even in an unscarred uterus. It is dangerous!!!!

Since you are having some contractions, go have sex, make sure you orgasm, so if DH finishes before you do, well find another way to finish Then after the sex do some nipple stim. I bet you will go into labor!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search