Anyone that knows about how to become a LC???

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am soooo confused on this website about how to become a lactation consultant...

IBLCE | How to Become a Lactation Consultant

I will hopefully have my RN degree here within the next 1-2yrs, so then what classes would I need then? Or is there a course I can take while waiting to get into my RN clinicals? And how can I find courses in Michigan?
(Sorry I am totally confused about this website)

I am so passionate about BFing that I really want to help spread the word of BFing and help ladies who think they can't.
January 25th, 2010, 05:52 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too want to become an LC, and am working on becoming an RN. After talking with my LC a little bit about it, it's my understanding that the classes I have taken for Nursing school will carry over to LC, and then I just have to find somewhere to do my hours. THe conversation was very vague though. I think my best advice would be to get into contract with an LC in your area and she if she will kind of guide you through the process in the beginning. My LC is going to once I'm ready to start, but I have so much going on with getting all my stuff together to teach Bradley, and school that I'm probably going to wait until 2012 to do LC

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 25th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I figured I might as well start getting my ducks in a row right now since hopefully by the fall or winter I will be in my RN clinicals... and then I am specializing in L&D...

I became friends with one of the nurses I had during my labor and she is going to be my mentor I guess you could say... I haven't been to an LC so I will have to probably contact one when the time comes...

I did find a doula/MW assistant/LC school in MI here, I ended up getting a course catalog just need to wait for it in the mail...

I was also considering a doula/MW assistant but not sure of the popularity of it in my area... but something else to look into...
January 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great. I too plan on working in L&D, but the hospital I'm going to work at (Where I delivered) prefers experience in Med Surg first. Lame. I'm taking my doula course in the fall (I think it's in Nov)..another reason why I'm putting the LC thing on hold. I kind of took on a lot at once...the doula thing was supossed to be this spring, but they moved it to the fall. SIGH

That's awesome they have a school for midwife asst..what a sweet job!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 25th, 2010, 10:23 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I too have been interested in this. I didn't understand exactly what it was meaning. I probably should contact a LC in this area and see if they could help me figure out what my first steps should be.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

January 26th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was looking at another website at one point that seemed to have better information, I'll see if I can dig it up again.

Quote:
I did find a doula/MW assistant/LC school in MI here, I ended up getting a course catalog just need to wait for it in the mail...
Care to share?
January 26th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Here's the site, it breaks it down a lot better: Becoming a Lactation Consultant

Here's another program I was looking at to get me started: Breastfeeding Counselor Training
January 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here is the site I found for a class in doula/MW assistant, LC...

Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery Questions

I emailed them a couple questions last night (still haven't heard back.. hope they are legit) and I ordered their informational catalog...
January 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I could ask my midwife and see if she has any information on it. There were several midwives are the birth center, I'm sure someone knows the program.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search