When should I do my classes?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am nineteen weeks and am wondering when I should take the birthing classes.

I really want a unmedicated birth and I know there are birthing classes to help prepare you for that.
Right? Or am I completely wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.
January 26th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with Lily I took Bradley Method classes which is usually a 12 week course. I started it at 24 weeks and finished at 36. I would definitely start looking into something now.

January 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
I would start looking now. Even if it's a short course, if you find that it didn't provide you the info you were hoping you'd still have time to search for another class.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

January 26th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
you want a class that will be completed within a few weeks before your due date ideally. Too early and you forget, too late and you might not get to finish before baby arrives.

Hopefully you can find a good class, I don't recommend a hospital "birth class" though. They typically are focused only on what to expect from the hospital and going over hospital protocols, not necessarily how to prepare for a natural childbirth.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 27th, 2010, 06:47 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
It all just depends on how long the course takes to complete (some last 12 weeks, while others are only 4 or so). As the other ladies said, I'd start looking into them now, so you have ample time to prepare.

I'd highly recommend the Bradley series to anyone! Also known as- Husband coached childbirth, they do a fantastic job including, and preparing your DH to be your labor companion/coach!

January 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I personally think early is good, I don't think you will forget
January 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't say enough great things about Bradley. I loved it so much, I am taking the steps to become an instructor this year! I started Bradley at 26w and finished at 38w...but my dd was already born (Emergency induction, otherwise she wouldn't have been)...it was nice that she was born though because we actually went to the last class because it was all about breastfeeding, and I got TONS of help from our teacher!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 27th, 2010, 09:55 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I plan on taking mine no earlier than 20 weeks. I don't want to wait till the end when I'm more uncomfortable, but I don't want to take them early either.

Figuring out which classes you want to take will play a big part - some are longer than others.

January 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
noworries
Definitely start looking now. You might want to look into Bradley or something like Hypnobabies.
January 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thank you so much ladies! That was very helpful. I will definitly start looking now!
January 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Super Mommy
My class was 7 wks and we finished at 39wks (there was only 1 session at a time, didn't overlap so it was either that or we'd finish too early). The session ended with a breastfeeding class which we took first (hooked on the session before ours) and we actually stopped by OUR classes breastfeeding class with our 2 day old son! That was so fun!

I would definitely research now because as others said length of classes vary. Definitely do something that is at least several weeks...NOT a hospital class lol. Birthing classes are so fun because you really bond with the other students...our class was all 1st time parents and we ALL still keep in touch almost 6yrs later!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Kathryn that is awesome!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search