Birthing Classes-Advice

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2010, 08:25 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! I have been lurking on and off here for awhile and maybe have already introduced myself awhile back, but I can't remember for sure. I have a situation I kind of wanted advice on, so here it is...

This is my third pregnancy, second with my DH. He is now my oldest DD's step-dad. When we got pregnant with our DS we decided to forgo birthing classes since I had taken Bradley with my DD and we were broke! He read the Bradley book, as did I. And then went ahead with the natural birth. We both did great and I was really surprised at how well he did! I was actually induced wtih DS. It was totally my choice, not something I would choose to do again though. My mom who lives out of state from us, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had to have surgery soon after my due date and therefore could only be with us for a short time. I couldn't have imagined birth without her at that point since she was my labor coach with my first DD! Hence the induction! Luckily everything turned out fine and I still had a birth epi-free!

So fast forward to today. I am really wanting to take a "refresher" NCB class since my last memory of labor was pitocin induce and VERY intense. I wanted to get re-focused and maybe even taught some new techniques! I told DH this several months ago and he agreed, although he would still rather read a book, but that's just how he is about everything! He is one of those annoying people who could probably read a book about brain surgery and pull it off in real life! I have got a referral to this gal who is doing a NCB class starting in March. She was a Bradley teachers for years but for several reasons decided to step down and actually write her own curriculum that is shorter in length but still heavily based in Bradley.

So here I am chatting it up with this lady about signing up for her class. DH now decides to tell me we can't afford it! We recently came up with this strict budget for paying off debt, saving up for a house and paying to send me to finish my degree after baby is born. BUT since I had told him about this class well before the budget, silly me I assumed he had included the cost of it in his budget! Especially since we have a column labeled "baby" with money in it for the months leading up to it's birth!

I am just really upset because I thought this was a done deal. I really want to stick to our budget and half of me feels that I can just re-learn NCB methods by reading, especially since I did it with DS and that went well. But I really feel actually taking the class would be really beneficial! I am also meeting with a midwife today for the first time to discuss a home birth. So to get re-focused and feel confident going into labor I feel would make a huge difference. I know I can get through labor no matter what I choose to do, it's just a matter of HOW I get through labor. The purpose of a home birth is to be more relaxed and comfortable, so I don't want to be on the brink of hysterics because I didn't get that re-focus.

Am I putting too much weight on the importance of the class, especially since I have already taken one (and also have the materials still)? Should I trust myself more? Or is taking the class a good idea?

Thanks for any advice or wisdom! Sorry this turned out so long! =)

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I totally get where you are coming from! How much is the class? if you really feel you need it, I say try to work something out. I usually always recommend doing as much as you possibly can- but since you already have succeeded, you probably could be fine with just lots of reading.

at least with a homebirth you wouldn't have the option of pain meds, and there wouldn't be a lot of interventions, so there is that safe guard. Also you could rent a tub, the water is a huge help. Of course you would need money to do that, money you could use for a class....so.....I dunno I guess.

stick around!
January 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
You might check around with local midwives, I know mine offers a 'refresher' class for free that's just a one-day thing.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say find a way to take a class! It really sounds like you want to and I think it will be fun for you guys! I know you can do it without it, but taking the class could make your experience that much better. Like the others have asked, how much are the classes, are there some less expensive classes out there?

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Are you still living in the same area as you where with your fist? I know a lot of the Bradley instructors around here allow you to come back and attend the series again for free with other babies.

If that's not the case, and you can afford it, I don't think the class is a bad idea....But if not, Trust yourself! Your body knows what it's doing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search