using the bathroom

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this is going to sound stupid but I can't get a good answer on this. While you are going through the stages of labor do you go to the bathroom? I know about the pushing stages but Before that while you are contracting. With my first I had and epi and the put in a catheter. Is there something i need to do to prepare for this or something. Please any advice would be great.

January 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I went into labor with my DD the first hour of it was me going to the bathroom! Typically your body will rid itself of most of the waste as a part of labor that way when you are ready to push, it will only be baby your pushing. But it doesn't happen to all women. As for peeing... I don't remember. Maybe that first hour I peed? But I don't remember peeing or having to pee once in labor.

By then you really don't care! =)

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
The only time I remember peeing with Katelynn is when I gave the initial urine sample. Other than that I didnt pee until afterwards.

January 27th, 2010, 10:50 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I pooped after my water broke and then the midwives gave me castor oil,so i spent many hours pooping I peed a lot too, as i was drinking water and gatorade.

January 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife encouraged me to pee at least once an hour and would remind me to try. She told me the reason at the time but of course I can't remember it now. I think she also made sure I could go after the baby was born too.

January 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
My MW had me pee once an hour. I was also in a birth tub so I think I peed in there a little bit too (which is ok), I don't remember the end was kinda fuzzy.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you should still go to the bathroom, even if you don't think you need to. a full bladder will stop descent if it gets too big. 1x per hour is about right.

January 27th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
with Courtney I know I went to the bathroom a few times, I remember at least twice getting out of the tub to go. Pretty sure I did go once or twice with Nola though - just dont' remember for sure. With Kya there was no need. Once active labor started I never felt a need to go to the bathroom and she descended super fast (I was at like +2 at 5cm!)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; January 27th, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
January 27th, 2010, 01:41 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
With my first I woke up in labor, so didn't have time to ingest anything. Never went to the bathroom until I made myself afterward so I could go home! With my second I peed pretty often. I went the last time only a couple minutes before starting to push. I think I might have pooped once at the beginning with both, but I don't really remember. Either way, I didn't poop while pushing.

January 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My early labor was like period cramps that was accompanied by period-like poos! I was up and in the bathroom every few minutes pooing. When I got to the hospital I had to be on mag and stay on my left side cause of the pre-e so they put a catheter in since they didn't want me getting up at all.

January 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies this has helped my a lot. I'm just trying to be prepared for what ever.

January 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With Lily I had diarrhea for the first hour or so of labor and it cleared me out. I peed about 1x an hour as well since I was drinking lots of water. I also peed while I was pushing a few times.

January 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I went to the bathroom several times while I was in labor. My body was clearing itself out, like they say, so I spent the first few hours of my labor in and out of hte bathroom.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 27th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Veteran
The nurses encouraged me to use the restroom as much as I needed to up until they put the catheter in. I was also in labor at the hospital for over 31 hours since my water broke.

My Little Man

Isaiah
January 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yeah, I was in the bathroom a lot for about 2 hours before my water broke. I peed like 500 times when I was pushing (3 hours) also.
January 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't poo the whole time I was in labor... almost a full day. It sucked. I pretty much resigned myself to pooing while pushing. I just couldn't beforehand (declined enema). I pretty much lived on the toilet while in labor. I felt the need to pee constantly. I did start throwing up about an hour after I went into labor, which I think was my body's way of getting everything out.

January 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had to be induced due to HELLP and so I had to be on CFM. The best way to get off CFM? Live on the toilet I peed probably 4x/hr. I was on saline though and drinking insane amounts of ice water! I really did need to pee that much! And being on the toilet was the best relief as I had horrible HORRIBLE back labor! I started pooping without even trying right before I started pushing...I sat down on the toilet to pee and the poop literally just fell out of my butt I was grateful because I didn't poo while pushing! hehe

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM
frugality=reality
I was able to use the bathroom during labor... in fact, with my fourth, my water broke on the potty while I was 8 cm. I jumped up and said, "she just got done telling me the bag of water was the only thing holding the baby in! I don't want him to come in the bathroom!" I got back into bed, and told her my water had just broken, and she said something along the lines of, "how is it possible that he didn't start crowning?" He was born VERY shortly after...
January 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I know with my first two (induced, pitocin, epdurals) until I had the epidural I was needing to hit the bathroom a lot lol. For both reasons. With Hunter, it was early morning and I had pee'd several times but once I had showered and we were getting ready to go the center I suddenly couldn't pee anymore. I felt like I needed to but couldn't. Before I got in the tub I sat on the potty for probably 10 minutes and between contractions (which were about 1 minute apart) I could get out a little but not much. He was born less than an hour later and then I had to pee LOL! DH did say that "something" came out while pushing, he was soo grossed out... lol, I was like oh I pushed out a 10 1/2lb baby you THINK something else might have happened?! Let's see you do it without putting pressure there too lol! Men!

Facebook
January 28th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My m/w made me go to the washroom! LOL (pee)
I was on the toilet peeing when my water broke, and my baby girl was born 45 minutes later, so I was well into active labor and still peeing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search