Breaking News! Eating and Drinking during labor OK!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Life is good!
Amazing how long it's taken the medical community to figure out what so many of us already know.

Study: Eating, drinking during labor is OK :: WRAL.com

Seems so obvious.
January 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*forehead slap* lol

January 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Well duh.....
I totally posted it on my facebook too!

January 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
too funny, it took a stupid study to tell that.
January 27th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's sad it's taken them this long! How many hospitals do you think will actually change thier policy though?

Expecting baby #4!

January 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
that was my thought too... we all know how resistant hospitals and doctors are to change, especially if it takes away a measure of control so it'll probably take another 10 years before most hospitals change their policies!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What's ridiculous is that this isn't the first study to say that. I read an article referring to a British Study that said the same thing over 6 months ago. Any time something hits mainstream news the info has been out in the medical journals for months (sometimes years) beforehand.

January 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
You know, for such a smart group of people, doctors can be so dumb sometimes! They can't possibly just be realizing this. I posted it to my FB, too
January 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish this would actually change something!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

January 27th, 2010, 08:37 PM
frugality=reality
Oh yes. I love my birth center. Funny how midwives have KNOWN that it isn't harmful. And I am sorry, but I do think it's HELPFUL-against what the article and "research" says. I was much more comfortable and able to push more effectively when I was able to drink than I was when I was deprived of drink. I felt totally sapped and just... awful... when I wasn't allowed to have a drink in labor.
January 28th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Life is good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttle_one View Post
You know, for such a smart group of people, doctors can be so dumb sometimes!
That's for sure!
January 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was shocked when I went to the hospital to have my daughter and they brought me juices to drink, I didn't even have to ask!

January 28th, 2010, 06:00 AM
frugality=reality
Actually, when I got to the hospital with my first and the contractions were about 4 minutes apart but I was in no pain, they refused to check me, told me I was just dehydrated, and hooked me up for fluids and gave me LOTS of juice to drink. She was going to send me home after a bag of fluids and my contractions slowing down to about 8 minutes apart. Without checking me. I told her if she didn't check me, that she'd have to call security to take me out of the hospital. She finally "relented," and checked me just to "prove I wasn't in labor." SURPRISE! I was dilated to 4 and well on my way to 5. I was admitted and had my daughter about 9 hours later. I definitely didn't get anything else to drink after she "proved I wasn't in labor."

It's a good thing she admitted me too... stupid lady. I lived over an hour from the hospital at that point.
January 28th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have all my births in a hospital and have always been allowed to eat and drink. I guess I just didn't ask them. Usually I labor alone with my DH and call the nurse when it's time to push. I don't have them check me periodically. There's really no point, I know my body. I'll tell you when it's time. So I guess I never knew you couldn't eat or drink during labor. How are you suppose to have any energy to get through NCB?

January 28th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Why does it take a study to prove common sense? silly dr.'s...

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 28th, 2010, 08:10 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It was always explained to me that I couldn't have anything to eat or drink was because if I did end up with a c-section then it was dangerous to have that food in my stomach because of the risk of vomitting. But if it's true what this article is saying that that is only true when you go under general anesthesia, then that's lame because who goes under general anymore? I have only heard of it when the woman choose to because she is scared of the epi or something. I didn't think they liked to use general because having the mom awake was safer and quicker, they don't have to wait until she's out.

I am glad I am gonna go a home birth this time around! =)

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Do you think a birth center will allow one to drink and eat during labor?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
frugality=reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
Do you think a birth center will allow one to drink and eat during labor?

What kind of birth center? Stand alone or connected (ie: controlled by) a hospital?

My stand alone birth center not only allows it, but makes it a requirement to drink during labor. They made me have a drink between every push in addition to drinking plenty during contractions. I'd finished off one and a half 32 oz. powerades in the less than one hour of labor (I got there with not much time left).
January 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobittyBoo View Post
It was always explained to me that I couldn't have anything to eat or drink was because if I did end up with a c-section then it was dangerous to have that food in my stomach because of the risk of vomitting. But if it's true what this article is saying that that is only true when you go under general anesthesia, then that's lame because who goes under general anymore? I have only heard of it when the woman choose to because she is scared of the epi or something. I didn't think they liked to use general because having the mom awake was safer and quicker, they don't have to wait until she's out.

I am glad I am gonna go a home birth this time around! =)
It's just a scare tactic.

What happens to all the ppl going into the ER and straight into surgery? Do they pump their stomach before they do surgery?

Yay for homebirth

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Duh. I'm glad my hospital at least allows clear liquids- water, some sodas, jello, and popsicles during labor. When I was in labor with Lily, I hadn't eaten in hours before I got to the hospital. I totally chowed down on jello before pushing! It was the most delicious jello I've ever eaten

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search