What made you...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
want to have a natural birth/passionate about NCB?

My first pregnancy I went into it thinking that I would like to give birth naturally, but I wouldn't feel guilty about getting the epidural. (We all know how that usually ends up, LOL) I did no real research on giving birth, other than taking my free birthing class at the hospital. Come my edd my OB decides that my baby was getting too big and if I waited much longer I would have to have a c-section. So, of course totally relying on my ignorant, mischievous OB I have an induction on my edd, the very first thing he did was break my water and start the pit, 6 hours later Epidural (which I had a "hot spot" so I still felt the contractions on my right side btw), 6 hours later the nurse had to tell me that I was ready to push the baby out because I felt no pressure whatsoever. I pushed a couple of times, doc came in saw me push one time and said I was doing great, gave me an episiotomy and grabbed a vacuum for the next time I pushed. He extracted my son with a vacuum after I had only pushed a handful of times without my consent or my knowledge for that matter, until after the fact. Kieron had a temperature when he came out and had to be put on antibiotics for the first 48 hours of his life. Thinking back, it makes me so incredibly mad. I felt completely violated as a mother and as a woman. BTW, he was only 7 lbs, 14 oz. So, after that horrid experience I knew that I was going to find someone that believed in me and believed in the natural birth process. I did and had a wonderful, healing experience with my second son weighing 9 oz 3 oz. I can't wait to do it again!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Research and reading. I had a lot of friends in various parenting communities that were 'crunchy.' The first place that shed light on crunchy choices and parenting was breastfeeding.com. Given the nature of the site it makes sense there were mothers that followed such philosophy. I absorbed a lot of views and passions expressed by many there and that led me to do my own research and develop my views on various birthing choices and parenting matters.

That was my first exposure to extended breastfeeding and other 'crunchy' choices. This was some 5 years ago. I wanted to have a med-free birth because I knew I could do it. I was never strongly opposed to NCB/med-free birth, homebirth, UC and everything else under AP philosophy. It didn't take much for me to get on board. I was pretty crunchy from the start before learning about AP. Everything else regarding birth choices seemed to come naturally.

January 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I really wanted to try a natural birth with Lily, but I didn't do any research on it. Once I started having real contractions, I chickened out and decided to go for the epidural. Lily's birth was perfectly normal except I couldn't feel anything. I had no idea when to push because I couldn't feel contractions or an urge to push.

A bunch of the ladies in my PR chose natural births and were really passionate about it. I think it was last summer before I got pregnant, one posted a trailer of the movie Born in the USA. After that, I was shocked at the statistics our country has when it comes to c-section rates, infant mortality, etc. I made up my mind then to have a med free birth with a midwife instead of an OB.
January 29th, 2010, 07:14 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I kind of stumbled onto it. I didn't know anyone in real life who'd had a baby naturally except my mom and even she said if they'd had epis back then she would've gotten one. The whole birth process seemed over-medicalized to me I was looking into ways to avoid a cesarean (I've always been scared to death of having one). Which led me to read how much the interventions are responsible many times. So I researched the interventions, which led me to research NCB, and I was all about it from there.

With DS I did end up with some interventions I didn't want but in the end I was still fortunate enough to have him vaginally (which made me feel somewhat better about the way things went). This time I know what to expect at the hospital and I've realized I'll be most likely to get what I need/want by staying out of there.

January 29th, 2010, 07:32 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since I was a child I never even considered anything else. I wrote my first paper on the subject in 8th grade and have continued to learn more since then. I can't imagine doing it any other way. I was a weirdo and played midwife with my barbies and instead of Ken being the loving boyfriend he was the scary OB who was going to cut the baby out of barbie's belly unless she went to see a midwife and I honestly don't know where any of that stemmed from. My mom had NCB with me, but wasn't passionate about it and didn't go to a midwife.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I first decided to stop relaxing my hair, I joined a natural hair care website. There is a childcare and parenting section on that website, and even though I didn't have kids yet, I loved lurking in that area. A lot of women there were having natural child births/home births, and from there I started researching NCB a bit. When I found out I was pregnant, I started researching a lot more about NCB and realized how much safer it is to have a NCB. It also seems like the right thing for me since I HATE needles and really want to avoid a c-section if possible.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy
January 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Two previous inductions did it for me!

Facebook
January 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
As soon as I went into labor with my first, I decided I wanted an epidural, so I asked for it as soon as I was admitted. They told it would be a few hours, so I made up my mind to get through the contractions the best I could until then. Of course I was in a hospital, strapped to a bed with monitors and an IV with antibiotics pumping through my system. Honestly, I was miserable, but convinced that I would get the epidural any minute and have relief. They came in, inserted the epi and before I was even on my side, I realized I had the urge to push! They checked me and I was completely dilated and ready to push. I looked back on it afterwords and realized that I really regretted getting the epidural, I had already gotten through the hard part and I could have gotten through pushing without one too if I would have known.
I ended up falling into a very natural style of parenting and when I got pregnant with my second, I knew I wanted a different birth. I figured if I had labored naturally once before, I could do it again! I'm not sure when I made up my mind to have a midwife, but I know I was looking up information on the local birth center as soon as I became pregnant. I ended up doing a lot of research during my pregnancy and became really passionate about natural birth. I ended up having Anna at a freestanding birth center with my midwives and it was an amazing experience. I hope to have a home birth if we have another child.

January 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I never really considered any other way. I just always knew I wanted to have a NCB and when I was pregnant with Lily I did a ton of reading/research and took Bradley classes to help prepare.

January 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a really bad experience with DS. I decided to have an epi and I had a bad reaction and so did DS. It wore off before pushing so I know what that feels. Even though it wore off I was still unable to walk or do anything fro almost 7 hrs after. DS was so sleepy that we wasn't eating that we almost had to put a tub to help him eat. In all I think natural is better and safer.

January 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
I never really considered any other way. I just always knew I wanted to have a NCB and when I was pregnant with Lily I did a ton of reading/research and took Bradley classes to help prepare.
ditto - except I read the book

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .

January 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Once I was pregnant with our first child I just knew that a NCB was something I wanted. I had never thought of it before getting pregnant but after doing my research and realizing how much safer a NCB was I knew I would do everything in my power to achieve it.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom had totally natural childbirths with my brother and I - so it's just how you do it to me.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 30th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Super Mommy
I was afraid of an epidural lol. The only time I'd ever been in the hospital was my own birth and the thought of a needle going into my back gave me the heebie jeebies. I was due in july 2004 and in that february a friend had a beautiful waterbirth in the local birth center. We went to teh same practice of doc's except she saw the midwives...So i talked with and convinced dh and we had a tour of the birth center, signed up for the same birthing class our friends took and switched to the midwives. It was an absolutely amazing experience. We were the only ones at the birth center so we could walk around as we chose. Our whole family came (me, dh, my mom and dad, mil, fil, two bil's and my 2 aunts). The midwife was a little ticked at first, i guess with so many people she didn't think we were taking it seriously enough. But 7 hrs after arrival with periodic visits with the family laughing and enjoying ourselves our ds was born in a quiet room, into warm water with dim lighting. It was just so cool. Made me want to do it again!

So here we are, prego with #3 hoping for the waterbirth again (#2 was hospital induction).
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 31st, 2010, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It just fit with the rest of my lifestyle/parenting style. I was trying for a NCB with DS in 2008 but being GBS+ and choosing to birth in the hospital made me the perfect cantidate for Pitocin, abx, and finally the epi I was begging for to help with the pit. contractions LOL
With DD I had a lovely homebirth and NEVER (okay maybe at the very end) felt the pain of the pit contractions LOL

January 31st, 2010, 10:38 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With our son I had a lot of complications and I was just going with the flow. With our daughter she came so fast there was no time for anything. Im hoping that with future pregnancies that things will go just like Katelynn's birth but if not Im planning natural anyways.

February 2nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first I was just told by everyone that it was too painful and just to get the epi. My mom did, my sis did, my MIL did and stupidly I had everyone and their dog in the room with me while I labored. So what did I do but get the epi because it was expected. I hated the recovery and had a horrible tear because I couldn't feel to push and was in a bad position anyway.

Before I got pregnant with my second one I got sick for about 8 months or more and lost 60 lbs. It was horrible. I saw a bunch of doctors who didn't help me and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. Even had them telling me at 112 lbs that I 'looked GREAT!' Never mind loosing muscle mass, not being able to throw out my own garbage and having pain when I ate almost everything. I took my health in my own hands and found out what was wrong with me. I tried a lot of natural remedies and suddenly after almost a year of ttc we got pregnant and my health returned. I felt so empowered by taking my health into my own hands with the help of God, I felt He was giving me a special gift. I wanted to know what it was like to really feel His power and my own strength as a woman to birth how it was intended. I researched and became passionate. I loved the experience and am on my way to do it again in July!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to know how it felt. Then after doing research it seemed like such an empowering and wonderful thing to do.

February 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband.

See, I am originally from Southeast Texas and the c-section rate there is currently over 48%.

I don't know many women who haven't had c-sections. I was born by c-section, my best friend had a c-section. I guess I really started to notice a little more when I was doing my L&D clinicals in nursing school. People would have epidurals that wouldn't "take" and it seemed like all of these all-day labors from inductions ended up in c-sections.

However, I had the mentality that the technology is there so why not utilize it. "Of COURSE I want to be drugged!" Also, in 2005 a CT scan revealed I had a Brain AVM so at the time it was thought that a natural childbirth could have killed me. From then on my doctor was all like c-section c-section c-section.

Fast Forward to 2009. DH & I moved to Oregon (he is from there) and it's just a whole different lifestyle up here! I had my 4th brain embolization (probably the best one ever) in July 2009 and the doctor here said "Of course you can try to have a natural delivery..." The only real issue would be my blood pressure. He even was against having an epidural because that could trigger my AVM headaches again, which I haven't had ANY since my last surgery! (Thank goodness)

We watched The Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America together. DH read a lot of stuff and we started having discussions about it. We read about all the risks and scary things that have happened as a result of scheduled c-sections, inductions, etc. He constantly reassures me that I am a strong woman and that I am definitely capable of doing what I want to do, I just have to fully convince myself as well.

SO I finally came to the realization that childbirth isn't something to be afraid of. It's not a sickness or a a disease, and millions of women before me have had babies with no problem.

It also didn't hurt that Michelle Duggar said her natural deliveries were the easiest! I mean she SHOULD know

So now that I have done my research, I can't imagine NOT doing it this way. If it wasn't for DH (and moving to Oregon) I probably wouldn't have thought twice about the way I was going to deliver. I wouldn't have known what to fight for.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search