What to pack for a waterbirth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm planning a birth center water birth. I hope to pack my bag in the next week or so and was wondering if I could get input from those of you who have had a water birth. I imagine I will be in and out a few times, not sure what I'll feel like wearing in the tub or when I get out. I'm thinking a bikini top and bathrobe for sure, maybe a long sleeved night gown or something? Were you cold or warm when you got out of the tub? Should I overpack and have both options? Anything tips? Thanks!
January 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I labored some in the tub and had planned a waterbirth (wasn't pushing effectively in the water so I got out on the birthing stool).

I packed a nightgown, two complete outfits for me (both very loose and comfortable), eight options for the baby (wasn't sure what would fit or what I'd want to put him in), completely stocked diaper bag, one spare outfit for Daddy, two pairs of warm socks, chux pads, overnight heavy flow pads, Depends, toiletries, I-Pod, receiving blankets, nursing pads. I had no idea what I might want/ need when I got there.

Turned out that I didn't really use much of anything that I brought. I labored and birthed nude and my midwives kept the room really toasty, so I was not cold at all. They used mostly their own supplies and I wore the same clothes back home as I had worn when I came in. We only stayed four and a half hours after the birth, so I didn't really need to use the toiletries. Daddy didn't get wet or dirty, so his spare clothes were unnecessary. The baby only wore two outfits, so six were excess. But it was only two bags, so it was really no harm done to have all the extra. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Talking about this is making me excited to have another baby! Ack! The baby fever!!!

January 30th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^I know! I hear ya! The baby fever is overpowering sometimes! LOL

I packed a long handled fishnet for floaters requested by the midwife
I just wore a black sports bra in the tub and no bottoms. The midwife told me that it would actually be best if I were in the tub with nothing on so that the water could create some nipple stimulation therefore helping labor along, but I am too modest for that.
I was really hot in the tub so getting out felt really good temperature wise.
I also packed some floats that was recommended by some nurses, but I never used them. They said some people liked to use them for support because the tub I was in was pretty deep, so she suggested 2 small ring floats that you could put an arm through to lie on your side and one that was about the size of a boogie board to rest your upper body on if need be. But, like I said I didn't use them.
That's all I packed for the actual birthing tub I think. Then, came all the other stuff, socks, pjs, outfits (for me and baby), birthing ball, tennis ball for back massages, unscented lotion for massages, hair bands, toiletries, oh my goodness, you name it we brought it, lol! Did we use it? Maybe 15% of it, but like pp said, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I'll just agree with everyone else... I'm no help. I had packed 2 big bags full of stuff and never even unzipped them! By the time I got there I was 7cm, got in the tub, had him an hour later, got out and since I had showered and changed clothes 2 hours earlier I Just put my clothes back on and went home 4 hours later and unpacked those bags I had stressed over for 2 months LOL!

Facebook
January 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I ended up wearing the tanktop I already had on in the tub, and that was it. When I got out during my labor, I just wrapped a towel around me, but they also kept the room really warm, so I didn't have a problem staying warm. After the birth, I got out and right into the bed and they had warmed blankets on it for me. When I changed, I Just put on comfortable pants and a tanktop. We packed swim trunks for DH but he never got in. A robe might have been nice though.

Expecting baby #4!

January 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
especially since you get to go home so quickly, and that you are at a birthing center where they will have birthing balls and stuff, you probably don't need much. Maybe Cindy can give you a better idea, she had Emory there last spring. So exciting!!!!!!
January 30th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a home birth so I didn't have to pack but I can tell you what I used. I wore a sports bra and yoga type pants during labor until I got in the tub. Afterwards I changed into a comfortable top and maternity pants. Having a short sleeved shirt and something to wear over it if you are cold should be plenty.

January 31st, 2010, 06:12 AM
This is very helpful, thank you! I may be back with more questions as I'm packing.
January 31st, 2010, 07:02 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I was nekkid. LOL!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I've had two waterbirths, and with both of them, once I was in the tub, I actually didn't get out until after my baby was born. With my first, I wore a tankini top and with my second I wore a sports bra.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM
Super Mommy
a bathing suit for dh. my midwife's words were "Its not like I've never seen a naked guy before, but I'd prefer not to" lol. Otherwise I was naked in the tub but was kinda chilly when i got out so I would have liked to have a longer sleeved shirt. I was freezing in April when I gave birth to #2, but that hospital was a lot colder than the birth center I had ds1 at.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 1st, 2010, 05:59 PM
^^ @ your midwife.
February 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
When I was in the tub I just wore like a halter top. Out of the tub I wore some comfy lounge pants and a tshirt. If I got cold they gave me a warm blanket. At the very end though I ended up just stripping everything off. I was on IV's because of the pitocin (PPROM and no labor) so the halter top was perfect since it didnt have to go over my arms at all and could be taken off easily without having to maneuver around the IV.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

February 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM
The idea of wearing pants during labor is so foreign to me. So is that just because you didn't want your midwife checking you until you felt the urge to push? That sounds way more comfy, I don't like being naked, especially around other people. I feel like that would hinder my ability to relax and let loose. I hated wearing the hospital gown when I had my son, and I hated laying in the bed with everyone staring at my privates under the bright lights. I am so looking forward to the option of pushing under the water and wearing what I want to wear while I labor!
February 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I wore a shelf tank top in the water with nothing for bottoms. At first I had on some cotton shorts but after she checked my towards the end they stayed off. I felt comfortable since I was under the water.

I packed two shelf tank tops, the cotton shorts, a robe, nursing bras, some comfy tee shirts, my extra clothes, pads, underwear, his going home outfits, extra clothes for Leila and Ryan, Ipod dock, Ipod, snacks, etc. It was in the 90's if you remember then so I definitely was not cold. It might be a lot different for you now!

Are you still delivering at the NSBC?? I am so excited that you are so close to delivering!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I hated the gown too- I still can't believe I put it on! I was so prepared not to- then when the time came I was much more complacent than I thought I would be!

They sell birth skirts I saw somewhere online....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search