BTDT Moms - doubts

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
During your natural birth(s), was there a certain time when you thought you couldn't do it or started having doubts?

Right before Callum's head popped out the thought ran through my head, "I don't know if I am really prepared for this! Can this baby come out another way?" Luckily that thought only lasted a moment and of course once his head was out I felt like a super hero. LOL

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 31st, 2010, 11:30 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had 2 moments of weakness when in labor and pushing with Nate.

the first was in transition, I got the shakes really bad and my midwife wanted me to lay on my side because the nurses were breathing down her neck.

I told Mike I wasn't sure I could do it anymore, and as soon I muttered those words I knew I was in transition then I new It was going to be over soon!

Once when pushing, I thought to myself "why didn't I just have the RECS. I'd be done by now" the next push I pushed his head out.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't doubt at all when I was in labor with Lily, but I did have a few doubts in the weeks before. But her labor was really easy for me and I never once thought I needed an epi or anything else.

January 31st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I definitely had those moments during transition... we had a homebirth so by the time I uttered the words "I don't think I can do this" it was far too late to do anything about it LOL 15 minutes later my baby girl was born. I sort of felt embarrassed about it afterwards and my m/w assured me MOST people say the exact. same. thing. and it's usually her que to set up what she needs ready for the birth because she knows she's about to catch a baby LOL

So... YES... had the moment and like PP when it was all said and done felt like a super hero

January 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a few moments- once when I was checked the second time- just before it I was so sure 'd still be 4, so much so that I almost didn't want to be checked. I even accused my midwife of possibly lying to me about being more progressed then that! lol.

and once more durring pushing. I had a small lip and was trying to push it away b/c I really needed Noah to come out soon as there were decels to the 80's-90's that were recovering slowly.... I was terrified, nad had some flashes to a birth I had assisted at where the mom transfered for a similar situation and had a section. but my midwife was so intuned to my needs- she remided me this was NOT that birth without me even voicing my feelings, and I was able to feel all the progress happening with his head moving down.

January 31st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
no doubts once labor started. At most I had to remind myself WHY I was doing it. I do get to a point where I just want it to be over, but I've never had the "i can't do this" feeling.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; January 31st, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
January 31st, 2010, 12:52 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only had doubts twenty-ish hours in because my husband was spending far too much time fretting and worrying aloud that something was wrong and that I had gone too far overdue and that I should transfer to a hospital and get induced. Had it not been for that, my resolve was very strong and I knew that I could do it. I know that he was only worried and cares for me and our baby, but next time around if he does the same thing, I may have to slap him.

January 31st, 2010, 03:42 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not during labor itself - I never hit that "I can't do this" phase. But, I had a lot of doubt before labor began, especially for my first natural home birth.

January 31st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Oh I did, during transition, about 20-30 minutes before Kate was born, I was telling my midwives I changed my mind, I was ready to go to the hospital and I wanted an epidural right then. I told my DH the same thing during transition with Julia's birth too. I am really really hoping that this time I have more confidence in myself and my body.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 31st, 2010, 04:34 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
The whole time with Katelynn lol. I wanted something the whole time after I got to the hospital. But after it was over I felt so amazing and would do it again in a heartbeat.

January 31st, 2010, 05:34 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I did- I had horrible back spasms in my lower back from my fibromyalgia (that is where it "lives") and they were similar to being hit in the lower spine with a battering ram with every contraction. I started to get really worried because I expected that things could be going on for much much longer since it was my first baby. This was about 8 hours in. Turns out I was actually in transition! Started pushing an hour later.
January 31st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did, in the beginning of my labor before I left the house, I knew that if I wasn't going to the birth center, I would have asked for an epidural. Luckily, I regained my confidence once I got there and I felt pretty confident after that.

Expecting baby #4!

January 31st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Nope. I had a very easy relatively pain-free labor/birth with my first. I was convinced I would not have the same luxury again so I did the Hypnobabies course. I had hope it would be another easy experience, but was prepared if it wasn't exactly the same or very similar.

I was surprised in some ways but not in others when I had yet another pain-free birth. Didn't use the hypnoanesthesia. It was very, very fast (47 minutes), so it's not like there was much to it. I wasn't even contracting at 7 cm. I didn't start until transition and the contractions didn't get stronger until 30 minutes before her birth.

With DS1. Totally different event/story. Per the OB's request/suggestion I got numbed with the epidural *before* he even gave me a vaginal exam. He didn't want to cause me anymore pain than I was already in and I didn't want to fight the issue so I consented. Internally, though, I hated it. Hated everything about being at the hospital. I wish we would have gone home after Dr. confirmation, but I'm not sure how that would have worked out as we lived on base and I'm not sure about home [still]birth in that instance.

My labor with DS2 was practically nonexistent. One moment I'm having relatively mild menstrual type cramps. Talking, walking, chit-chatting, impatient, etc., and the next I'm having contractions every 15 seconds or less and he's out. Things happened way too fast for me to really register what all had happened. The only part that was intense was where I had to lay on my side through four or five contractions. All I kept thinking was, "So that's what the maternal fetal ejection reflex is like." My cervix and pelvic floor muscles just melted away and my uterus just heaved him out.

January 31st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When labor started - just piddly little contractions - my first thought was, "What on earth did I sign myself up for?" But it never crossed my mind again. Even after pushing for 6 hours (9 hours total by time of the spinal/section) with contractions less than a minute apart and needing to transfer, I never regretted my decisions. I am all set to do it again next time.

I was just at the marathon homebirth transfer of my best friend. She did transfer after 7 hours stuck at 7 after we tried literally everything (including the midwife literally sticking her hand up there during a contraction and attempting to turn the baby to make him properly apply his head to the cervix.) My poor friend went through transition, baby turned the wrong way and moved back up into the uterus, she un-dilated, and then went into transition again and got stuck there. It was awful! Then she had involuntary pushing and was swelling. We transferred for an epi and she was able to rest for 2 hours and dilate the last 2 cms. Then they took it out and she pushed her baby out.

All that to say, she is ready to try again too. Even when the worst happens, labor is really not that terrible.

February 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't allow negative thoughts to cross my mind.... I stayed pretty positive and in the moment throughout my entire birthing time. At one point though I said to DH "I want an epidural" and within the same breath "anddd I'm going to throw up!" I then threw up all over the both of us and knew I had to be in transition and it was almost pushing time... and it was!

February 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel also that I didn't allow myself to think about not being able to do it once labor started. I knew that was where I would loose it is if I allowed the epi to even BE an option. During labor I never felt like I couldn't do it, but when I hit transition I had such intense contractions that though I never said it out loud I thought, 'I don't know how many more of those I can take' and then I was pushing and it was over.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I hit that point every time I hit transition. I go into the whole "I can't do this anymore" and "Why didn't I just get the epidural like Normal people do!!" Then BAM, it's over lol.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

February 2nd, 2010, 08:31 AM
noworries
Yep, during transition I had a "I can't do this anymore" moment. But, it was just a moment and then it was over.
February 2nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My whole labor I had those thoughts - because I was perfectly healthy, and then I wasn't. Like I was so scared when they induced me because it was such chaos to get everything started, I just knew I was going to have a c-section (I didn't, thankfully)....but transition was really rough on me. I was at 6cm for 9 hours and at some point I started going through transition but no one really realized it because I was at 6cm - like I got checked and I was at 6cm/70% effaced, and 5 minutes later I was pushing. My midwife even thought it would be at least 2-3 more hours until I was pushing because I had progressed so slowly on such a high dose of pitocin. But I was moments away from getting stadol because I was exhausted - physically and emotionally and I knew I couldn't do it. I never once really believed I could do it until I had done it if that makes sense. I had such a picture of my birth in my head and that Friday it all went to hell and so did my confidence in myself..but I did it and I felt amazing after!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
nak....

i KNEW i go do it all natural... i was sooo prepared knew i would have a MW wasnt scared of the pain nothing was causing me to have doubts..... until i was told that there was no MW on after noon on the day i went into labor and then was told that the OB i butted heads with was on... i think my body shutdown after that...

i was dilating like a champ until noon when my MW came in and told me she was leaving and they didnt have another MW on call after that and my care was going to be turned over to the OB... lets just say I didn't dilate at all after that... when he came on is when i started with the doubting because he is the one that told me I wouldn't go into labor on my own, I would have a HUGE baby, I will be pushing for 2-3 hours, and would most likely need a section because I had GD..... he was such a pessimistic OB....

Although I showed him up on a couple things... ie. baby's size she was 7.1lbs, pushing I pushed for only roughly 20mins, and my water broke on my own, and O I DIDN'T need a c-section... Boo-ya!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search