Hypnobabies vs. Bradley?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've researched both and from what I read online was that HypnoBabies (Not to be mistaken with HypnoBIRTHING) basically includes a lot of Bradley information?

I would be willing to take both, but just wanted a little input

Also...
My best friend is flying in about two weeks before my due date (I live in Oregon, I'm FROM Texas!) and is staying until I deliver. My DD is July 5th, so my parents are flying in the 9th.

Originally I had planned to have a Doula, but do I really need one with my best friend (and husband) being in the delivery room? I mean that just "seems" like a lot of people...so I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to do.
January 31st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did Bradley, but I didn't look into Hypnobabies at all so I'm no help there.

But I did have my best friend and DH in the room when I delivered and my best friend acted as a doula. She actually attended all the Bradley classes with me since DH's work schedule wouldn't allow him to. It worked out great.

January 31st, 2010, 12:01 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I am doing Hypnobabies now. They actually tell you not to do Bradley with it, because they say it covers a lot of the same info but that Bradley teaches pain control, while Hypnobabies tries to change your perspective that childbirth will even be painful at all. So Bradley class can hinder your Hypnobabies effectiveness.
January 31st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree^only using one or the other. I did Hypnobabies and loved it! The founder actually used to be a Bradley instructor and incorporated a lot in the Hypnobabies. I took the home study course and my dh was my birth partner. I didn't have a doula and I had quite a few people in the room as well (we were only "allowed" 3, but I had 4, dh, mom, step mom and MIL). I think what you choose really depends on your personality and what you feel more of a connection with. I loved the concept of Hypnobabies. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Thank you Claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!!!
Click HERE to see my belly pics!

January 31st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Another vote for hypnobabies!

January 31st, 2010, 04:20 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
ditto to what Kristen said, you don't really want to combine anything else with Hypnobabies.

I thought I read in our DDC that your doc was suggesting the epi because of your AVM? What's the status on that?
January 31st, 2010, 05:00 PM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've just finished the Bradley courses with my husband. They were wonderful and we feel really well prepared. This will be our first baby though, due Mar 15, so I guess I'll have to tell you on the other side how effective the preparation was. I also read the book Hypnobirthing (not hypnobabies) and have been listening to the relaxation cd which came in the mail. Bradley covered a whole lot: from nutrition, to labor, to baby care, and tons of relaxation techniques along the way. We had a good experience with it.
Psalm 139:13-14 "For you [God] created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."

January 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
ditto to what Kristen said, you don't really want to combine anything else with Hypnobabies.

I thought I read in our DDC that your doc was suggesting the epi because of your AVM? What's the status on that?

No, that's only if I have high blood pressure at the end of the pregnancy. I think he actually meant from being in labor? That's why I really liked the idea of Hypnobabies, hopefully something that could keep me calm as well as my BP down.

The epidural with no pushing is what he said would be my alternative to a c-section, but since my blood pressure (and everything else) is staying good and I'm not having any problems with the AVM, I can continue seeing my midwives. I actually have my next appointment on Tuesday!

The OB/GYN consult was just a one-time thing, the midwives wanted me to talk to him about my AVM and then my blood pressure at the previous appointment was borderline high, but I think I just had white coat syndrome because my BP has really been doing good this whole pregnancy (knock on wood)

I really want to meet with my neurosurgeon again to see what is necessary and what isn't as far as my delivery goes. Can't they give me some sort of medication for high blood pressure? I mean I hate to argue with the doctors, especially since I DO have something that could be potentially dangerous...but at the same time I don't want them "jumping the gun" and forcing me into an epidural or a c-section.

If all goes well this delivery, I doubt I'd do it in a hospital again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search