Home birth vs Freestanding Birth Center?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We haven't really been telling people we are doing a home birth this time because I just don't want to deal with people's negative reactions. But one of my friends that we did tell mentioned it to some other moms in our playgroup. One of them said "I would never do a home birth" but then she said she'd do a freestanding birth center. Isn't it basically the same thing? I mean you have midwives and not OBs, you would still need to transfer if there was an emergency, and my midwives carry tons of meds/oxygen that the birth center would have. So, am I missing some other key difference besides that one is at your home and one you drive to? I never really researched birth centers so I have no idea really, but I thought there really weren't any big differences between it and a home birth.

January 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't think so either, but like you I have never researched birth centers, mainly because there aren't any around here.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I think that people just have it ingrained into their heads that you have to GO somewhere to give birth. I've come across plenty of people who's husbands are absolutely against home births, bu will do a freestanding birth center without a problem.

My first birth was at a freestanding birth center. This one is planned to be a home. My midwife (the same one that I had last time) doesn't even charge any differently because she brings all of the emergency stuff that's at the birth center to your home for a home birth. My bill is only less this time because I'm a repeat client, so I get a discount.

January 31st, 2010, 12:35 PM
lilflower
I don't see a difference, except that me doing it at home means that 6 hours after the baby is born I don't have to dress him and put him in a carseat and take him out in the elements to bring him home!
January 31st, 2010, 12:47 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucius was born at a freestanding birth center. The key difference between that and our home at that time was that the birth center was ten minutes from the hospital (in the event of a necessary transfer) and our house was forty minutes or more. I consider them to be pretty similar in all other aspects. I chose the birth center for our firstborn because I didn't know what labor and birth would be like and I was worried about the possibility of a transfer, so we wanted to be closer to the hospital. Because I now know what birth is like and have no fear of the process, we plan to have homebirths from here on out.

January 31st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
actually right after Nola was born (freestanding birth center) all I could think was "why did I bother to go somewhere instead of staying home". Really the only difference for me was that I had to get in a car and drive somewhere in the middle of labor, which I don't see as a positive thing! The birth center was EXACTLY the same distance from the hospital as my house. Wish I would have just done the homebirth then.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 31st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, glad I wasn't missing anything big! I read on another board that someone posted that homebirth is "irresponsible" but they had no issue with a freestanding birth center, so I think it is more the idea of people thinking they *need* to go somewhere to have a "safe" birth or something. I'm pretty sure that is what my friend believes as well.

January 31st, 2010, 02:54 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I ditto the other ladies... from everything I know, a freestanding birth center offers the same emergency equipment that a home birth midwife would bring to my house.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 31st, 2010, 04:17 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Unless it's a situation as mentioned where the birth center is much closer to a hospital in case of emergency, it is the same thing!
January 31st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yup, it seems to be the same thing to me. There's other differences, but not anything that makes a birth center safer than home. I think some people just assume that since you are going somwhere, it's safer because they must have more equipment there to handle an emergency.

Expecting baby #4!

January 31st, 2010, 06:50 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
actually right after Nola was born (freestanding birth center) all I could think was "why did I bother to go somewhere instead of staying home". Really the only difference for me was that I had to get in a car and drive somewhere in the middle of labor, which I don't see as a positive thing! The birth center was EXACTLY the same distance from the hospital as my house. Wish I would have just done the homebirth then.
This is exactly how I felt!

January 31st, 2010, 07:16 PM
I guess there are some people who don't have the best space for a homebirth, although my midwife said she attended a birth in an apartment the size of her office- which is pretty small really.

Sorry that woman said that to you Shelly. It kind of bugs me when people say stuff like that....guess what, just because I am having a homebirth doesn't mean you have to. Or doesn't mean you have to make any comment at all - why do you need to know if she would have one or not? Kinda rude.
January 31st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
I guess there are some people who don't have the best space for a homebirth, although my midwife said she attended a birth in an apartment the size of her office- which is pretty small really.

Sorry that woman said that to you Shelly. It kind of bugs me when people say stuff like that....guess what, just because I am having a homebirth doesn't mean you have to. Or doesn't mean you have to make any comment at all - why do you need to know if she would have one or not? Kinda rude.
Yeah, she also told me that she finds it "intimidating" that I had an NCB with Lily and am having a home birth this time. Why does it matter to her how I choose to deliver my children? I don't get how that is intimidating at all.

January 31st, 2010, 10:45 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't see a huge difference in homebirthing and free standing BC's, but I personally wouldn't do a homebirth...mostly because the closest hospital with a NICU would be 30 minutes by helicopter, over an hour by vehicle. we don't have any free standing birth centers around, and my hospital is very ncb friendly so i dont mind going there

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM
I guess she is one of those women who think Motherhood is a competition. That drives me nuts. Who has time for that? Believe me, if it WERE a competition, none of us would be winning it with our "off the wall" parenting! With reactions like that, we're not winning any thing except our own self satisfaction in doing what we think is best for our families. Not for anyone else!
February 1st, 2010, 07:03 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
It's essentially the same. I'm right across the street from a hospital so.. does that make it safer to be home than to drive to the birth center? LOL!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Yeah, she also told me that she finds it "intimidating" that I had an NCB with Lily and am having a home birth this time. Why does it matter to her how I choose to deliver my children? I don't get how that is intimidating at all.
I've gotten responses like that. I finally just decided to stop talking about it to people who don't understand why it is important to me.
February 1st, 2010, 08:16 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilflower View Post
I've gotten responses like that. I finally just decided to stop talking about it to people who don't understand why it is important to me.
exactly

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search