Big Decision

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
danischmell's Avatar Regular
Hi Everybody,
I've never been here before, but I really wanted a place to talk about this without being treated like I'm crazy. So Hi .

I'm preg with #2. I did first naturally w/ a midwife at a birth center and had a great experience.
We moved far away from the center and are now signed up for additional insurance that only pays out if we deliver in a hospital so I was planning on delivering at a hospital this time, but still naturally and with a midwife. Well today we just found out that our insurance doesn't cover the hospital that allows midwives to deliver there. It does cover one, but it's almost a two hour drive from here and I can't even imagine trying to drive that far in labor, besides the fact that I have quick labors and dont' want to give birth in the car.

Anyway, so now I'm going to have to switch from the midwife I've been seeing (I'm 21 weeks now), and my choices are to pick a doctor that delivers at the hospital they do cover (which I've heard isn't super supportive of natural births). Or to do a home birth with a midwife.

I hadn't planned on doing a water birth the first time, but once I got in that water it felt so much better and I didn't want to get out and now I can't imagine giving birth another way. The hospitals will not allow a water birth... but I'm still a little nervous about doing a home birth...

Anyone have any experience? advice? I'm so torn about what to do... I'm scared of the hospital, and I'm scared of something going wrong at home.

Almost all my friends think I'm nuts to try it naturally, so I can't even imagine what they'd say if I tried to get advice on this. Thanks for listening..
Danielle
February 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I have nuts for you...
I am going for a hba3c. I know what happens in a hospital. They give an IV and stick you in a bed tell you, you can't get up and then they add things to your IV. Well it is there for their convenience. Then after they give you the pit that most likely you didn't need in the first place you are in sooo much pain that is completely unnatural you get the epi which will slow down the labor and you will need more pit, and after this lovely cycle you get a c/s!
My SIL has fast labors and I mean really fast like 40 minutes for her 3rd baby with the 4th they messed with her so much that she labored for 3 days! So even women that have fast labors and quick births can actually be slowed down with all of the interventions that a hospital can throw at you!
I am going with a home birth but that is my choice after being put through the mill of the OB's and hospitals making!

February 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I dont have any advice as I have had 2 hospital births. But I did want to say welcome to the board!

February 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I dont have any advice as I have had 2 hospital births. But I did want to say welcome to the board!
Thanks!! It's nice to find a place where people don't think I'm nuts!
were you able to go naturally in the hospital? did you have a supportive doctor? did they try and force drugs on you and make you be tied to the bed??
February 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
noworries
I had a natural birth in a hospital and am planning on it again this time. But, it is a very natural birth friendly hospital and I have a very natural birth friendly doctor. Whatever you decide, I hope you get the birth experience that you want.
February 3rd, 2010, 05:09 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it totally depends on the hospital, the doctor and the nurses you get while laboring. My first son, bad experience at the hospital, tied to the bed, given tons of meds, blah. My doctor wasn't at all supportive of natural births. My second son, we moved out of state and before moving I researched all of the hospitals around the area I was moving to and found one an hour and a half away that allows water births and had a couple of awesome midwives that delivered there. It was an awesome birth. Next time I will go for a home birth even though my insurance doesn't cover it, I just really feel like I will be much more comfortable at home and I just really want that experience. Good luck with whatever you choose! Keep us updated.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 3rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I've had 6 hospital births - first 3 with ob's, last 3 with a midwife. All at the same hosp. except the first baby.

The OB's were constantly trying to talk me into the epidural (2 of those 3 were pitocin induced). Telling me that I couldn't do it without one, etc etc. I proved them wrong. I was however stuck in bed - they wouldn't let me move around, eat, drink, etc.

The 3 midwife births at the hospital were Wonderful. All 3 of those were pitocin induced due to PPROM. I labored in the tub most of the time. Moved as much as I wanted, ate/drank, and they did not once offer me any form of pain relief drugs. They followed my birth wished to a T.

I think that if you already know that the hospital is not natural birth friendly, and you really want a midwife, you start looking for one now, plan a homebirth, and have a clear back up plan in case of a hospital transfer. Is this non-birth friendly hospital close to you? I've never had a homebirth so I definitely don't know all the in's and out's. But to Me personally, I view homebirth as a very similar experience as that of a freestanding birth center. A homebirth midwife will bring all the same tools with her that you would expect to find at a freestanding birth center right?

I say go with your gut.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

February 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I had a natural birth at a hospital, and it was a very good experience. But, I had an amazing midwife that stayed with me as if she were in my home. Next, I will have a home birth. I would have done it last time, too, but it was a VBA2C, and everyone was too afraid for me to try.

If you're thinking about a homebirth, then you're obviously open to the possibility. Some women wouldn't even consider it. So, that's one point in your favor. I think you should go ahead and look into it. It can't hurt, and you may end up with the most amazing experience of your life.

February 3rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think it's really important for a woman to be 100% comfortable with a homebirth - it doesn't sound like you are. Fear and tension are the enemy in labor, and if you are stressed, worried, nervous, that could be a big problem!

I say go meet this doctor, find out his stats. Really listen to his answers to your DIRECT questions about natural birth. Find out the hospitals policies.

I had a successful NCB at a hospital, but it was very natural friendly. I chose it specifically for that reason.
February 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first three births were in the hospital, last two were at home and I am planning another home birth this summer. My midwife has all the same equipment that a birth center does, she just brings it to your home instead. I'd definitely look into both options and maybe schedule some interviews with home birth midwives in your area and talk about your concerns. I asked my midwife what happens in an emergency and I was comfortable with her knowledge and answers.

February 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by danischmell View Post
Thanks!! It's nice to find a place where people don't think I'm nuts!
were you able to go naturally in the hospital? did you have a supportive doctor? did they try and force drugs on you and make you be tied to the bed??
My first was a medicated birth along with mag pit and an internal fetal monitor. But I had pre-e and David's heart rate was dropping before we started any meds (well the pit) I had to be on mag because my BP was so high they did want me to seizure. I had very friendly nurses I wasnt a fan of the doctor but at that point in my pregnancy things were so stressful I was just happy that David was happy and healthy.

With our 2nd I was planning on an epi. But she came so fast it wasnt an option nothing was. I was at the hospital less than an hour and she was born. The nurses were very friendly telling me I could do it and just very supportive.

With our next I plan on planning a completely natural birth. We will be living somewhere else so we shall see how they are with my wishes. I have learned a lot about myself since my first experience and how strong I truly am with my 2nd. Im looking forward to doing it again.

February 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I've had a homebirth with my 3rd and am planning on another with my 4th. I have had 2 waterbirths already and actually haven't had a natural birth outside of water. My midwives carry the same equipment as a birth center would have.. complete with oxygen, stuff for IVs, pitocin, etc. For us, knowing that our midwives are equipped to handle emergency situations and that we have a back up plan/transfer plan is important.

Good luck to whatever you decide. If you'd like to look more into homebirth, please feel free to visit the homebirth board too. There is a link in my signature!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
lilflower
It is SUCH a big decision! I've had 2 hospital births. Neither were very pleasant experiences, but I know it could have been worse. I am having a homebirth (as long as I make it to 37 weeks) because I feel it is safer for my son. I know the experience will be close to life altering for me, but I want him to have a happy, safe, relaxing, and gentle entrance to the world...without fear of infection and unnecessary testing and medication. Come join us on the Homebirth Board and look around! Everyone is friendly!

But Cheryl is right...you have to be 100% comfortable for a homebirth to work...Good Luck!
February 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks everybody, I took your advice and posted on the homebirths board. I didn't even see it there before.

I made an appointment with the homebirth midwife and the hospital doctor and I'm going to tour the facility and get more info on home births and try and figure out what feels right. Wish I could have a magic mirror that I could see what each one would look like so I could decide, lol. But it makes a big difference to have you guys to talk to.
Thanks!!
February 4th, 2010, 06:41 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
another thing to strongly consider if you chose the hospital is a doula. Let us know what you decide!
February 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
if we decide to do a hospital birth we will DEFINITELY need a doula. Its the only thing that makes me not want to cry when I think about doing it there, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search