Jumping in with two feet! NCB!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Let me give a little background. My first pregnancy I went with a regular dr, was convinced my son wasn't growing at my 37 week u/s and was induced at 38 weeks. Had a 12 hr labor, with an epidural from 2cm on, and gave birth to my son who was suprisingly 2lbs larger than they had convinced me he would be.

My 2nd labor I had trouble getting the anesthesiologist so had Stadol in my IV, then my epidural, which stalled me labor. I had a birth that while pretty much painfree (except on my lower right quadrant, where the epi didn't work), I felt disconnected from the whole process, and they had to use the vacuum to get my daughter out.

I am pregnant with number three, and my automatic response to people has been "yes, hospital birth, with an epi". But now I REALLY REALLY want to try natural. I've had uncomplicated labors, and healthy babies.

While I wouldn't enjoy giving birth in my HOME, I'd love to go to a birthing center. However I can't seem to find ANY within an hour or two of me. And they expect my labor to go fast this time. This is my last baby and I want it to be a good experience, and different from my last two hospital births. I feel I am a good candidate for natural labor at a birth center setting, low blood pressure, easy labors, etc.

The doctor I have right now never says more than 2 words to me and won't answer any questions I have. He has an AWFUL bedside manner. I want somebody who cares and will DISCUSS things with me! Not just "Hear the heartbeat? Great! See you in four weeks!"

I am 18 weeks along right now, and don't know where to start! Also do they take insurance? I can only use a birthing center if they accept Aetna or Aetna accepts them. Thanks girls!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

February 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi! Thanks for joining us. We have a pretty sweet DDC!

I had my daughter in a hospital, I lived in NJ then and there are zero birth centers. I originally was seeing an OB practice that had a whopping 9 OB's, I always waited over an hour for every appointment, felt rushed once I finally saw someone, and no one knew who I was. It was awful!!!

I switched at 18 weeks to a midwife office, I chose them specifically because they delivered at a small, quiet, NCB friendly hospital. They had a tub you could labor in, they let you walk around in labor, much looser rules regarding IV's and how you could push. The midwives were so much more personable, I never had to wait long, felt cared for and listened to.

It was a pretty positive experience overall- no one ever pushed drugs on me, we roomed in with Cadie and they didn't harass us when we declined 90% of the afterare procedures for her. We left after only one night.

I am sure there is something like that near you, you usually just have to search for it a bit more. It is never too late to change providers either!

What area of Florida are you in? We have another Cheryl on the board here who lives in Florida, she is a Doula and knows a lot about the birthing climate down there. I'm sure she could help steer you in the right direction!
February 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am between Orlando and Ocala. I work in Ocala but live about 45 minutes north of Orlando.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

February 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure she is in Orlando. She works at a Birth Center there.
February 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where do you live in Florida? I use to live in Orlando and in the Panhandle (DeFuniak Springs, north of Destin)

If the birth center is an hour or two away from you, I would go for it! They usually take insurance. I commend you for wanting the natural birth, it will be one of the most amazing experiences you'll ever have. I can't believe your OB is like that, well, n/m I can actually, but you definitely deserve respect from your caregiver! That really makes me mad!

As for where to start, contact the birthing center and they are usually very thorough with you and they WILL take the time to answer every single question you have! Next step, start reading everything about natural births that you can to build your confidence and so that you can retrain your mind on what giving birth can really be about. It's easier when it comes down to it, to have all the facts you can possibly have so that your mind set is, "I AM going to have a natural birth". KWIM? I'm glad your here! Keep us updated!

**Sorry it took me awhile to post this reply because of distractions. I see now where you live. LOL**

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

Last edited by Tiff802; February 4th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
February 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
That's a pretty long drive though while you are in labor. I had to go half an hour and I practically jumped out of the car when I got there.
February 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!
Even if you can't find a birth center, you may be able to find a practice of midwives who deliver in a hospital. I had a hospital birth with OBs for my first and a birth center birth with midwives for the my second. The midwives won, hands down! Even if it was only for my prenatal care, it was worth it, I loved the care I got from my midwives. The birth center was also a wonderful experience, just being in that environment was really helpful to me in achieving a NCB.
My birth center did take insurance, however we had to pay out of pocket for the expenses and submit to our insurance company for reimbursement. They provided us with all of the paperwork we needed though, we just sent it in and recieved our check a few weeks later. They ended up covering about 2/3 of the cost, which was great!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

February 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! It is nice to have a DDC so full of natural child birth mommies. When I had my first NCB there was me and one other girl in my DDC. It was difficult to feel alone. Good luck on finding someone that can really give you the care you need. I had a midwife group with my daughter that I hated! The women were all mini-OBs with horrible bedside manners. Thankfully my insurance changed and I ended up at a different hospital-amazing experience- and with another group who was wonderful. This time I am seeing 2 midwives who are supposed to be pretty good. I don't know about the one, she strikes me as a little pushy. The hospital I know is new and claims to be NCB friendly. I wish I could do a birth center too, but my insurance won't touch it. It would be twice what I am paying for the hospital.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hey! I'm the cheryl who works at a birthing center in florida. I'm in sarasota, but am pretty familiar with your area... Jennie Josephs is an AMAZING midwife, and she has a birthing center in orlando/winter park.

The Birth Place | Florida's Unique Birthing Center & Midwifery Practice

I am actually hoping to study under her someday in the not too distant future- she has a school and is just phenomenal- such a great midwife, person and woman! You'd have to meet her to understand- she's just so vibrant, safe, no-nonsence but super empathetic...

I don't know how they are on insurance, but florida has laws about it, and most birth centers accept insurance of all kinds. Honestly, the quality of care is so high that I would literally bend over backwards to birth in a supportive way like a BC.

I hope that helps! And altho it may seem like a drive, it's well worth it, for sure. You sound like a perfect candidate for a BC/NCB. It is so wonderful.

nak- my sweet little nursling, born at home!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search