I need help.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM
RawrDiino's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to RawrDiino Send a message via Yahoo to RawrDiino
I'll try to make my very long story short, but I do need your help ladies.
My name is Monica, I'm 27weeks 6 days pregnant with my second child. This is our daugher.

My first I suffered from moderate-severe Hyperemesis Gravidarum, (excessive puking and weightloss during pregnancy) and went into labor with him the day before his due date. My intentions were on a natural delievery.

It went kind of like this.

Aug 25th, 9 am Doc stripps membranes at office. DING DING DING contractions.

Aug 25th, 5 pm I go to the hopistal for the contractions.

Aug 25th, Around 9 pm they break my waters. - no pitocin thank goodness.

Aug 26th *DUEDATE*, around 2 am, the continuous "Are you sure you dont want an epidrual" "Maybe you should get an epidural" from my mother, and from the staff finally bullied me into my epidural. They came, they did the epidural, they left.

15 minutes later. "I need to push....John....John I need to push..." was all I could say. Then the room was a mess, and I was pushing, and two pushes later, here he was. 3:09 am No problems for him, a minor tear for me. But my goal, dreams, shattered. I didnt make it. I was 15-30 minutes away from making it on my own.

I would KILL for a home birth but the doing it at home is not a possibility. However, I need advice, suggestions, things to read and research, anything I can push in my moms face, things to help her understand how I need her to help me, and things to help me understand how to get what I WANT out of labor.

I can still have my natural childbirth...in a hospital right? Is this obtainable? Please ladies, I need your help.
мα∂єℓуи 4.8.10
вєвє вєαи є∂∂ 7.30.11
ωιfєу тσ נσни 9.25.10
February 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
You should have her read the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer. It discusses the risks of interventions and is really upfront about them. Definitely it is possible to have NCB in a hospital. Have you discussed it with your OB? I would make it clear the minute you get to the hospital that these are your wishes. Also having your family support you will help. One last thought, is to labor at home as long as you can.

February 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would suggest not allowing your mother in teh delivery room. If she isn't there to push it on you, your husabnd may be more liely to let you do what you need to do. Obviously you CAN do it, you basically did it last time!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yes, you can have a natural delivery in a hospital - but it depends on the hospital in how supportive they will be. You can be totally clear right from the moment you get there that you DO NOT want to be offered any meds. At all. Some hospitals are better at respecting this than others. You can always change providers and hospitals to something more friendly for your needs. I did!

When reading your post it also crossed my mind to have mom sit this birth out. If she is not going to be able to support her how YOU need her to, then she is just hindering you, not helping. Sit her down and talk to her honestly, and see what she says. You need people there to respect your wishes.

They got you in transition last time, when almost every woman doubts she can do it, that is the nature of transition.

we have lots of good info in our subforum you can check out. I also suggest the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, and also Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin.

You could consider a doula instead of your mom as well.
February 5th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would suggest not allowing your mother in teh delivery room. If she isn't there to push it on you, your husabnd may be more liely to let you do what you need to do. Obviously you CAN do it, you basically did it last time!
That was the first thing to come to my mind too. This is YOUR birth, your birth experience, and you are not obligated to have anyone there. If she wants to "support" you then she needs to fully support your decisions. I know it may be hard to tell your mother that, but I had to do the same thing with the birth of my last daughter. I chose to use a birth center and midwives and my mom kept bringing up these horror stories and worst-case scenarios of what could go wrong. I finally told her "If you can't support this and stop questioning my decisions, then I do not want you there." She ended up being there, supportive and it really opened her eyes to what childbirth can be like!

My first birth was similiar, but I had asked for the epidural and it took them forever to get in there. I had just my DH there and no support from the nurses or doctors. They came in and put the epidural in and I had to push before I was even laying down. It's really discouraging when you realize that you are fully dilated and the hard part is over! With my second, I was able to have a fully natural birth at the birth center with the only pain relief being a big, warm tub. It was wonderful though and I wouldn't do it any other way again!

"The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" is a great book with a lot of good information. Also, have you ever seen "The Business of Being Born"?

Last edited by andi2284; February 5th, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
February 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everyone pretty much posted what I thought as well. Another book I loved is "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May Gaskin. I have to say Hypnobabies is AWESOME too! They have an at home course you can take that is great. You are listening to CDs everyday that just make you so confident about your birthing experience. If you don't want to take the whole course you can get the Birthing Affirmations CD that's great to listen to everyday while driving, cleaning, etc... YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 5th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everyone else. I did have a great NCB in a hospital with Lily, but we're going the homebirth route this time. My hospital is somewhat NCB friendly and they have a lot of CNMs that deliver there. The OBs only come in mainly for the c-sections or other complications. Still, I was the first NCB they had seen in a few weeks.

February 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had 7 pain med free births, all in the hospital. It sure can be done. I wouldn't have your mom with you, just DH. I would give her a call after the baby is born. That way, she can't pressure you and you can have the birth you want.

February 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Super Mommy
Yes. I had a hospital induced labor and I had no pain meds. I agree with everyone who said do not allow anyone in your birthing room who does not support your decision. If needed, have a doula...doulas are great protectors to women in labor. Also have a talk with your husband about being vocal for you while you are in the throes of labor if a nurse tries to talk you into an epi.

you can do it!!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search