Why did you choose a natural birth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
danischmell's Avatar Regular
My friends are constantly asking me "why would you feel pain when you don't have to"
so I'm trying to come up with a list of benefits or reasons for doing it naturally..

so I thought I'd ask you ladies.. what were the reasons that convinced you?
February 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never even thought about using drugs honestly. It just never crossed my mind. For me the benefits are:

I feel like a gave birth, not someone just telling me "it's time to push". already know that.

I feel a special connection to each of my kids. Going through birth prepared me for them. I never felt "unconnected" to them as I've heard others talk about.

I have been blessed with 7 ncb and think it's because I've always refused interventions. Now, if there really was trouble, I would do whatever was needed, but I feel doctors AND Moms interfere to much.

I have been able to be up, showered, and taking care of my new baby right away.

I have never had any post partum depression. I believe this has to do with the way the kids were birthed.

My body was made to do this. It may hurt terriblily, but it's short, and I did it.

The thought of just laying there while I suppose to be in labor hooked up to an epideral is depressing to me. I (me personally), wouldn't feel like much of a woman at that point.

I have a hard time hearing the same old saga. Induced, pit, epi, baby distress, c/s. This was usually brought on by an impatient mama, and if she would have waited could have had a terrific experience.

Those are some of the benefits that I have noticed. As far as convincing people, good luck. Some people don't want that experience of a ncb. For that I feel bad for them. They missed something amazing.

February 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an unnatural experience with my first, induced on my EDD, the doc said my baby was too big and if I waited much more I would have to have a c/s, I hadn't really researched about a NCB so I guess I was uneducated so the induction went like this - AROM, Stadol, Epidural, episiotomy (w/o consent), and vacuum to extract my son (also w/o consent and only after I had pushed less than a handful of times). That experience made me angry and I knew my body could birth a baby on it's own. I just NEEDED that experience, I wanted to have a natural birth because I wanted to be fully present for every second of the most amazing experience I'll ever have in life. I wanted to do what I felt was best for my baby. I would not admit this anywhere else - I had an immediate, wonderful connection with my first son, but I can't tell you how intense the immediate connection with my second son was!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A few reasons that stick out to me:

My recovery after having the epidural was slow. I knew the epidural contributed to that a lot and now when I compare my two births, I realize how much quicker I recovered from my NCB.

DD #1 was not given to me after she was born, where as I caught DD #2 after she was born. She was also never taken from me until I handed her over. Part of that is how the birth center I used does things, but it also has a lot to do with having a natural birth and having control of my own birth.

I had full control of my birth, there wasn't anyone who told me what to do and when to do it. I knew, because I could feel everything and was full aware of what was going on. Don't get me wrong, there are circumstances that are beyond our control that prevent a NCB sometimes, but with a normal labor and delivery, it helps to be able to do things on your terms.

I liked feeling everything, I was much more effective in my labor and pushing when I could feel everything. It's pain, but it's pain for a purpose, which makes it productive pain.

When I had an epidural I did feel unconnected from the whole birth process. When you add to that the fact that I wasn't given my daughter right away, it made it more difficult to bond with her after birth.

The risk of complications from a NCB are much lower than the risks of complications from an epidural or a c-section.

My first birth felt like a medical procedure. My second birth felt like a birth.

I was able to use midwives for my prenatal care, and that alone made it worth it.

I was able to labor and give birth in the water, which has a lot of benefits.

Using a birth center, we left our house at 7:30am and we were home by mid-afternoon the same day.

February 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
sooo many reasons. Initially it just didn't see any reason NOT to have a NCB, just felt normal to me. Over the years my reasons have increased in number some of them include:

faster recovery

shorter pushing time (in a lot of cases)

its pretty amazing to see/feel what your body is capable of

being able to have my children there and teach them by example about pregnancy and birth and that they are not inherent medical emergencies (although we do discuss c/s and problems with my older DD when she asks)

I believe childbirth has some inherent risk and I choose not to ADD to that if I can help it

the whole process goes much smoother in most cases if left up to nature

Don't want anyone messing with those first moments of bonding (this is what steered me towards homebirth)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I think it will be incredibly empowering.

I feel like I will have some sort of control. My first birth was fine with an epidural, but I couldn't feel anything and had no idea when I was supposed to push or if my pushing was effective.

Oh and I just like being different from everyone else around me
February 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
sooo many reasons. Initially it just didn't see any reason NOT to have a NCB, just felt normal to me. Over the years my reasons have increased in number some of them include:

faster recovery

shorter pushing time (in a lot of cases)

its pretty amazing to see/feel what your body is capable of

being able to have my children there and teach them by example about pregnancy and birth and that they are not inherent medical emergencies (although we do discuss c/s and problems with my older DD when she asks)

I believe childbirth has some inherent risk and I choose not to ADD to that if I can help it

the whole process goes much smoother in most cases if left up to nature

Don't want anyone messing with those first moments of bonding (this is what steered me towards homebirth)

I get annoyed now when people ask why I'm having another NCB. They always comment on why I would want to feel the pain of childbirth, but I can honestly say that I didn't find Lily's birth painful at all. It was a lot of pressure on my body and work, but not really painful for me. I know that is not the case for everyone though. But that is another of my reasons. Why would I take something for the "pain" when I'm not in any pain?

February 9th, 2010, 12:14 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
another option is to just not talk about it, avoid the grief all together. People love to give others their opinions on this, say they can't do it, etc. I think it's so sad and annoying.

If you'd rather not talk about it and nosy people ask you about your birth, you can just say "we are exploring our options" "we don't know yet" "we're going to see how it goes/see what happens/play it by ear" whatever....

my person story is that at first I just wanted to avoid the whole being stuck in bed and being at the mercy of the hospital staff and rules. I wanted to avoid the cascade of interventions. I didn't want my birth of my daughter to just "happen to me" - but lastly what really hit me the most was learning a little about the connection to the types of drugs used in labor in certain decades vs the types of drugs that were most popular when those babies grew up to be adults. They actually used to give cocaine in labor! And guess what drug became most popular when those babies grew up to be adults in the 70's....bingo!
Also the whole "love cocktail" thing they talk about in the business of being born, that seemed very powerful to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search