Interested in NCB - what is the best resource to learn more?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm interested in having a NCB. In particular, I'd like to try giving birth without meds, I'd like to labor in a tub, and I'd like to avoid a C-section unless absolutely necessary. I'm also a fitness buff, and I'd like to find out if there are any exercise (besides the obvious, kegals) that will help make giving birth easier.

I see a reading list posted her, but there are tons of books and it's all so overwhelming. Is there a single book or website that is somewhat general, that I should read to help me understand what I'm getting myself into and how to prepare myself? I'd like to make an informed decision about whether this is something I want to do, before I fully commit and dive in head first.

Thanks!

February 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I had to just choose 2 books (I can't just pick one, LOL), I would suggest "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" I also love "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May Gaskin as well. But, that was just fun reading. Good luck and congrats on beginning your journey!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi, welcome! I think we are in the same DDC? July?

The books mentioned above are the two faves here, start there for sure. The Bradley Method book is also really informative.

Check out the subforum here for some good info, some websites (but not a ton) and lots of articles. Much easier to manage than a general search. It's a pretty good start, not a complete section yet, but it's a pretty good place to start.

I am a big advocate for physical prep for NCB myself. That's what I was taught in my Childbirth class and I really think it helped me. In general, cardio is good, keeping your stamina up however you want to. Strong legs and thighs are very helpful. I personally love Prenatal Yoga, it concentrates on the specific things to help keep your hips open, your legs strong, etc. Specifically, squats are awesome to prepare for birth.

thanks for joining us, hope you will stick around!
February 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
Hi, welcome! I think we are in the same DDC? July?

The books mentioned above are the two faves here, start there for sure. The Bradley Method book is also really informative.

Check out the subforum here for some good info, some websites (but not a ton) and lots of articles. Much easier to manage than a general search. It's a pretty good start, not a complete section yet, but it's a pretty good place to start.

I am a big advocate for physical prep for NCB myself. That's what I was taught in my Childbirth class and I really think it helped me. In general, cardio is good, keeping your stamina up however you want to. Strong legs and thighs are very helpful. I personally love Prenatal Yoga, it concentrates on the specific things to help keep your hips open, your legs strong, etc. Specifically, squats are awesome to prepare for birth.

thanks for joining us, hope you will stick around!
Yep, I'm in July DDC also! I run and lift weights, but I think I'll order a prenatal yoga video. I think labor will be a lot like endurance exercise in that you take it a few minutes at a time and just convince yourself to go a little bit further, over and over, until the end. Thanks for the advice!

February 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
here are my two faves

Amazon.com: Prenatal Yoga: Shiva Rea, Bryan H. Shepard, Lori Eschler Frystak, Ted Landon, Charlie Webber: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Yoga Journal and Lamaze present: Yoga for your pregnancy: Kristen Eykel, Kathryn Arnold: Movies & TV

The Shiva Rea one is longer and more challenging, but both are really good with teachers that are pleasant to watch and listen to
February 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
danischmell's Avatar Regular
I'd suggest finding a class in your area. There are a couple I've heard are good.. hypno babies and bradley are the two I've heard the most about.

I learned a ton in my bradley class. You might want to look into that. It's kind of all inclusive, diet, exercises and preparation.

The exercises my teacher recommends the most are squats and leg lifts.
February 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am typically not a workout video type person, but oh my goodness, I got this video with my last pregnancy that is really good if you are already in shape.

Amazon.com: The Perfect Pregnancy Workout vol. 1: Karyne Steben, Elisa Llamido: Movies & TV

I loved this prenatal pilates video too
Amazon.com: Pilates During Pregnancy, Vol. 1: Niece Pecenka, Niece Pecenka, Steve Forner: Movies & TV

I liked the prenatal yoga video Cheryl suggested too.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I ordered this one! Can't wait for it to get here. Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search