The Dreaded Paci - O/T

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I know this is a little off topic, but I'm exhausted & kinda stuck for my next move. And you ladies seem a little more... go with the flow. Ethan has always liked his paci; he's only ever wanted it when we go in the car & when he goes to sleep. I've always been OK with that & figure when he's done with it, he's done with it. I'm not going to sweat something small like a pacifier. I've had A LOT of people say "You still let him have a paci?" very judgmentally (like it makes me the worst Mom ever), & I'm kinda hoping to avoid that here.

Lately, he's been waking-up screaming at night. I go in & as soon as I give him his paci back, he goes right back to sleep. Last night, we repeated this drill every hour on the hour. Last night was the worst, but he's been doing this for about 3-4 weeks now. I have no idea how this started or why. I'm sick, pregnant & just beat. I don't mind him having the paci, but I can't be getting up 5+ times per night to give it back to him. Anyone have any suggestions?
February 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We went through this with DD. We didn't want to give her a pacifier at all, but we gave in when she was 5 weeks because she had an intense sucking reflex. I couldn't be her pacifier 24/7. When she would wake up she would want her pacifier and we would have to give it to her. It finally got better once she was old enough to find the pacifier on her own in the middle of the night--but that probably wasn't until she was 1.5 years old. She associated falling asleep to sucking on something, so that was the only way she could fall asleep. Unless you get rid of the sleep association, it probably won't get better for a while. We chose to just deal with it, but since we were co-sleeping it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Have you tried Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution (I think that's the name of the book)?

February 9th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
We also had this problem with Emory but he was only a few months old. After a few days of him waking up every hour and us running in to give him his paci back we realized that he just needed something to suck on. We ended up showing him where his thumb was since he can never lose that and we quickly stopped having problems.

I know that isn't a solution for everyone but we look at it the same way you do that he won't need it forever. I hope you get some sleep really soon!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're having the same exact problem right now. I was actually going to post over here about it too.

Levi wakes up every hour wanting his paci back. He was such an independent baby from the beginning that we already have him in his own room in his crib. This makes for a very, very long night. It's been going on for 3ish weeks and Dave and I are both tired messes... and so is Levi for that matter!

I have no advice, but I know how you feel!

February 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm not much help on this one. Cadie never really took to her binkie much, and she sleeps with us. Having to get up and go into another room a bunch of times a night is the reason why I hesitate to move her to her room, which we have been on the verge of doing for about 5 months now. I love to sleep....

I did like the no cry sleep solution, I'm sure you would be able to find something in there you could find useful. It helped me a lot with night weaning.

Keep us posted!
February 9th, 2010, 06:34 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucius loves his pacifier.

One thing that I have found to be very helpful for him is that I ALWAYS clip his pacifier to his left shoulder. Always on the left shoulder. He's old enough to put his own pacifier in his mouth and because it's always the same place, he can find it in the night and put it in his own mouth without my assistance (not that he doesn't still fuss for it anyway, but sometimes he just pops it into his own mouth and goes back to sleep).

February 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
noworries
I personally wouldn't recommend a pacifier clip while they are sleeping as it could be a choking hazard. My daughter still gets her pacifier while she sleeps and she is 25 months old. I put several of them in her crib with her so that if she loses it at night she has a bunch of them around and she will hopefully find one of them easily.
February 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long do you let him go before you go in there? I'm not recommending CIO over it, but maybe give him a little bit more time to see if he can find it on his own. The above suggestion to put a few paci's in there is a good one. We found that worked for us for the nights when it would fall on the floor, she usually had a backup.

February 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If he's just fussing, I let him go a bit, but if he works into a full-fledged wail, I head in.

I think I'm going to try putting a stash of pacis in there with him tonight. If he wakes up, I'll help him find it & see if he can get the point. Usually he knocks it completely out of his crib (he's a wiggly little guy). I think it's so frustrating because he's never done it before. He's 16 months old & slept great until about a month ago. Now that I think about it, it started when he was cutting his canine teeth...now he has all 4 of them & STILL wants me to get his paci for him if it falls out of his mouth.
February 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
All three of my girls have been paci lovers. It doesn't really phase me any. I have found the more you try to "fight" something the worse it gets. SO I just go with the flow. Anyways, I keep a bunch of pacis in the crib, so if the baby wakes up night, they are able to find another. Its worked pretty well for us.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
I personally wouldn't recommend a pacifier clip while they are sleeping as it could be a choking hazard. My daughter still gets her pacifier while she sleeps and she is 25 months old. I put several of them in her crib with her so that if she loses it at night she has a bunch of them around and she will hopefully find one of them easily.
the specially made paci lead things arent long enough to choke the child.

February 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter did this and I just couldn't take it anymore. The only advice I can give was that was time for me to take it away. If you don't like CIO then I don't know what other advice to give. My daughter had hers for awhile too and I didn't mind that she had it, until this began and I just couldn't do it! For the sanity of me and my DH we had to just take it away and wait for her to find another comfort to sleep to. Not really what everyone would do, but I had to for me.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I put a few pacis in there with him last night. DH & I just decided he was on his own with them. I put him to be as usual at 7pm. He woke-up at about 930 & threw a fit for about 2 mins & then right back to sleep. We didn't hear a peep out of him after that. I think he woke himself up enough to realize he was fine & went back to sleep. We'll see how he does tonight. It's 10:30 & he's been quiet so far. Hopefully we're done with this craziness!
February 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Lily's 2 and still has a few pacis in bed with her. One thing that helped us was putting one in her hand as we tucked her in. She has a tendency to switch pacis while she's asleep and would wake herself up if we hadn't put the extra one in her hand.
February 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yay! I hope you're done with it too. Waking up multiple times at night is tough!

February 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
We're having that problem over here with our 20 month old only instead of a binky it's her bottle. It doesn't matter what's in it, but we've tried tricking her and giving a binky instead but she knows she's not getting anything out of it. She can fall instantly back to sleep after one or two sucks but she still has to have the real thing.. It's a HUGE PAIN, we too know how you feel and we're just trucking through it.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search