Making your own baby food?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I made Bryson's baby food and now I'm making Emory's too. I love that he's eating fresh fruits and veggies and that there are no added ingredients in them. I do use single applesauce cups when we go out because it's super easy to tote around and I use jarred foods when we travel out of town though.

Is anyone else making their own baby food or planning to?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 10th, 2010, 08:00 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Yep, I make all of Zoe's food

mangoes are her favorite. She also loves applesauce, pears and peaches She has also enjoyed tofu, peas, avocado, sweet potatoes and carrots. I have also mixed fruit with porridge, usually oatmeal porridge. She has had greek unsweetened plain yogurt a few times

We have been buying jarred organic applesauce because apples are so expensive right now.

February 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made my boys food too. I loved it! It's so much fun to make. My favorite website to get fun recipes is wholesomebabyfood.com. I also did the applesauce cups when we were out and I used jarred when we traveled.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made some of Liam's food and all of Lochy's food. I'll make all of this baby's food too when the time comes for that. Lochy's favorites were mango and cherry applesauce.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
noworries
I made Eva's and I plan on making this baby's too. It's so easy and I like knowing exactly what is in the food that she is eating.
February 10th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Mere, Emory just tried mango for the first time today and he LOVED it! I think he would have eaten the whole thing if I would have let him. Of course, Bryson wanted his fair share too.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
we bought a case of mangoes at the produce place the other day, lol! she gobbles it up! i've mixed it with silken tofu too, which tasted like a smoothie

February 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan on making Noelle her food as well too...

I got a cool recipe book for homemade baby food... just can't remember the title of it, but it is sooo simple and money saving how can I not pass it up!
February 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
brylie is still EBF'ing but I will be making her food. I actually have frozen avocado and sweet potatoes already (I got the beaba for a late Christmas gift at the end of Jan and was pumped to use it) but I am waiting until 7-8m to start solids, since she has always been in the lower %tiles for weight her Ped isn't pushing them which is fine by me and she has no interest in anything but boobies - she won't even take a bottle from her dad anymore

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I didnt with either kids. I wish I would have. With David we didnt use gerber nor with Katelynn we used Nature's goodness which is made without added starches, preservatives, flavors or colorings. I actually tasted it and it was yummy hehe. I wanted to make Katelynn's food but things went crazy after my husband deployed when she was a little over 2 months. So with that and a 20 month old it was just to difficult. I plan on doing it with our next though.

February 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I made all of Lily's food (except for when we traveled) and plan to with this baby as well. Most of my mom friends made their own food as well so we'd get together for a few hours and make a ton and then split it up. Lily loved mangos mixed with cherries the most.

February 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
oooh cherries! we have a local farm where we pick cherries, so I will have to remember that in a month or two

February 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made a lot of her food as well. It was surprisingly easy.

February 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we will definitely make ours. I'm going to have to do some serious investigating in the next 2 months. do you basically just steam fruit and veggies then mash them up? I don't have a food processor yet, but would like to invest.

February 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I usually just steamed food and then mashed. Sometimes I'd use a food processor to get a finer consistency. It kind of depended on the food since some things (like peaches) are easier to put in a food processor.

February 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Monica, you don't really need a big food processor if you want to save money they have teeny ones you can get just for that purpose!
February 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't with my girls. Didn't think about it with my first. Though I keep them strictly away from gluten, since I have celiac disease. With my second I started doing it and then she refused the breast AND the bottle and was loosing weight and all she would eat is solid foods. I ended up having to mix in the heavy formula and feed it to her by spoon with 3 large jars of baby food per feeding and it took a LONG time to feed her and keep her hungry. I just didn't have the energy to do it. She was SO skinny it was pretty scary for a long time. I really want to do it all the way with this one. We eat a lot of fruits and veggies in our house so it just makes sense to make some for baby too.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

Last edited by LuvEmm; February 10th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
February 10th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I've always given Nola very small bites of whatever I'm eating. She's never eaten baby food or oatmeal/rice.

We eat organic and buy our own meat.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I made some of Lily's after I got the Beaba as a gift. Unfortunately I was working full time and her daycare would only allow store bought jarred food. I plan on making all of the new baby's food though.
February 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
We are planning on making Thayden's, im excited to try it out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search