Not a good 9 month appointment...help needed!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I just got back from Emory's 9 month appointment and I'm so upset. He has only gained a half a pound since his 6 month appointment and only a centimeter for his head. His weight is down from 25th % to 5th% and his length is down from 50th% to 25th%.

The pedi was asking me some questions and seems to think that he's not getting enough breastmilk. She wants me to bring him back in one month to have his weight checked again. In the meantime I am supposed to boost my milk supply and make sure he is getting enough to eat otherwise. I think he's getting plenty of solids but I'm going to add more protein to his diet now.

She said if he hasn't gain a good amount of weight by his next appointment then she will want me to supplement. I so don't want to have to do that. I'm so proud of the fact that he's never had any formula. I totally support others in their choice to formula feed but I was hoping to only have Emory on my milk.

I am drinking a cup of mothers milk tea right now and will make some fennugreek tea later today. I'm sure I'm not getting enough water so I'm going to try really hard to get more of that as well. I know oatmeal can help but what else can I do? Are there any other food options that I can feed him to help boost his weight?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
one of my friend's from Bradley had the same issues early on with her beeb and her LC was having her drink a beer a day and Clare (her dd) gained 6oz that week. I never asked why, but I know Clare's mom said it worked wonders for them. I imagine if you don't feel comfortable drinking you could take Brewer's Yeast to do the same thing though?

Brylie lost tons of weight early on and my LC had me eat a handful of almonds everytime I nursed, and drink 20oz of water, so you could try that. It worked REALLY well for us. Brylie went from 7.7# down to 6.3# and once I did that for 3 days (She was in the hospital so getting weighed a ton) she was up to 6.8# and within a week and a half surpassed her birth weight

I hope you find something that works well for you and you don't have to supplement! <hugs>

also, avocado is full of good fats

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i have found that drinking 4-5 cups of Mothers milk tea/ day helps. Do you have an infant scale at home? i would try, with solids, to give calorically dense solids, avocados are great.

We weighed Zoe at 8 months and she had not gained much (she was 14lbs 6oz) but we weighed her the other day and she was a little over 15 with her clothes and diaper on. this is also when i started drinking the tea again. At 8 months she was in the 2%, but she has been 0-5% since birth, so it was not too far off.

February 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM
frugality=reality
Personally, I'd nurse more, and offer solids less.... there is much more in the BM than in solids for your baby's growth. Nurse a session, offer solids, and then nurse again. The BM should still be the main source of nutrition for a 9 month old.

Eat lots of oatmeal (non-instant variety). Even if it's just oatmeal cookies (good excuse, right?).

In addition to that... I want to say that just because your baby is small now doesn't mean he'll stay that way. It's so frustrating that so many doctors make moms feel they aren't doing good enough. Those freaking "charts" are based on the formula fed counterparts of BF babies-which means they're SKEWED. It's very very typical for a BF baby to start thinning out at this age while a FF baby does not. And that pattern often continues into adulthood (which is why there are studies that show that FF babies are more likely to be overweight adults).

Both of my younger children hovered at or below the 15th percentile (even dipping down as low as <5%-both of them) for a super long time. Now, at just shy of 4, my daughter is finally up to the 35th percentile. My son (who turned 2 in December) is only at the 18th percentile (mind you-at 4 months, he was in the 90th percentile at 18 pounds, 4 oz). Neither one looks or is undernourished. They're just breastfed, and they're healthier than their FF counterparts.

How hyped on this doc are you? I would honestly consider finding a more BF friendly doctor that is familiar with the fact that BF children tend to be smaller by age 1. *shrug*

Baby's Weight Gain and Breastfeeding

Breastfed Babies and The Growth Chart | Attachment Parenting International Blog

Leaner Adult Bodies, Better Eyes : The Breastfeeding Book

Honestly-don't beat yourself up. Your baby's growth sounds PERFECTLY normal to me. My son was over 18 pounds at 4 months, and he's now only 26 pounds (after eating) nearly 2 full years later!
February 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Courtney did the same thing. at 6 months she was 13lbs 4 oz, at her 9 month she was 13lbs 12oz. They weren't concerned at all... she just has a small build. she gained nearly 4lbs before she turned 1.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
oh yeah, we have a very pro-bf dr. she bf her one kid until 4yo. she has never once made a negative comment about Zoe's weight.

February 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Ok, you ladies have made me feel MUCH better. I'm going to go read those articles now and I'm going to speak to my neighbor who is super crunchy. I'm going to ask if she has had this experience.

February 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everything Kim said. Babies REALLY thin out at this age. Anna was 19lbs at her 7 month appointment. She now weighs about 22lbs (on our home scale, not sure how accurate) and she is 14 months. So she has only gained 3lbs in those 7 months (where she gained 11lbs from birth to 7 months). That's a HUGE slow down in that amount of time. The chart I have also shows her going down a percentile in both weight and length. IMO, what is important is that he IS gaining steadily, he IS growing and meeting milestones. It's important to look more at the baby than at the numbers.

Remember, the decisions are also ultimately up to you. Your doctor can recommend that you supplement, but that doesn't mean you have to do it. If you dont' feel right about what he is saying, then I would recommend looking at more information. I could give you a ton of links, but I'll give you some that I think are most relevant:
kellymom.com :: Is my older baby getting enough milk?
kellymom.com :: How might I increase baby's weight gain?

The most important tip I can think of is to make sure he is getting hindmilk. If you are nursing on both sides each time, switch to just one side. If you're already doing that, be sure you let him stay on until he unlatches himself. I know distraction can be a problem at this age too, so during the day, that might take some patience. If you want to try to increase your supply, this seems to be really popular: More Milk Plus - Galactagogue herbal lactation formula to increase breast milk for breastfeeding mothers - Motherlove

ETA: I just wanted to add, if your supply is fine and taking supplements increases it too much, I hear a lot of moms complain about hindmilk/foremilk imbalance because of it. If you do decide to take anything, be careful with that, because he could end up getting too much foremilk which would hurt his weight gain even more.

Last edited by andi2284; February 11th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
February 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have anymore advice as I think all the previous posters hit the main points. But Lily was always in the 90th percentiles for weight and then at 9 months dropped down to the 50s and has stayed below there ever since. Her pedi wasn't concerned because she said it was normal for BF babies to drop after 6 months old. I was a little worried at first because it seemed like such a huge drop, but she's totally fine.

February 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
You got a lot of good advice from the other ladies and you sound like you are doing everything right! I just wanted to offer you some ((HUGS))
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

February 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
personally, I could give a rat's butt about percentiles, I couldn't tell you any of Cadie's stats her whole life. They go right one ear and out the other with me. As long as they aren't losing weight then I don't see a problem.

I've held Emory, he's a nice solid boy. I would never use the word small to describe him, he's certainly not thin or skinny. He's a perfect size!

Ditto the avocados. And supplementing? I find that funny....he's almost a year old now, not to mention he just started crawling, he's burning more calories and it's normal for them to level off at that stage. As Andrea said, you are the mom and you have the final say. You hire a doctor to be your partner in your child's healthcare, not to tel you what to do or how to parent.

hugs, you have a perfect baby boy!
February 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You've gotten a lot of great advice. Eleanor lost a few ounces between 6-9 months and her Ped wasn't concerned because she was still getting longer and her head was still growing. She also looked at her milestones and she was right on track. At a year she is just barely 17lbs and not "on the charts" but obviously growing and doing well. I've always loved our Ped because she looks more at the child than the charts. Today Eleanor was in for her one year check and one ear was slightly infected. She wasn't running a fever or showing signs of being in pain at all so she advised just waiting it out and to call if she seemed uncomfortable. I think having a Ped that is breastfeeding/natural health friendly goes a long way!

Just wanted to add another story of a healthy but not huge gaining baby
February 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I just sent out an email to the LLL in the area and asked if they could recommend any pro-breastfeeding pediatricians. This is the second time our current pedi has immediately suggested formula (once with B) so I'm going to see about finding someone else.

As far as milestones go he's meeting every single one of them for his age. He says dada, baba, lala. He pulls to stand and scales across furniture. He's crawling very well and he walks very easily when holding your hand.

It definitely made me nervous that he had only gained that little but I'm feeling a bit better now and am hoping to speak with another doctor soon.

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words ladies! HUGS!!!

February 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
good luck with finding a new pediatrician

February 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to say good luck finding a new pediatrician, you are definitely doing the right thing! I love ours because she is a lactation consultant herself. Both of my boys did the same thing, they were at 100th percentile up until around 6 months and then they started to decline consistently. My oldest is now around the 25th percentile and Callum has made his way down to about the 50th now. Good luck!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I didn't have time to read the other replies, so I'm sorry if this is repetitive. When you nurse him, I would make sure you just offer one side until you are sure that he's completely drained it before giving the other side. That way he'll get lots of the hind milk that's full of fat. Also, is he crawling a lot now and more active than his last appt? That could explain some of it. Whole milk yogurt is a good choice, so is avacado. I went to a seminar at a moms group a few months ago and they had a crunchy nutritionist talking about good fats that toddlers need and he said one of the best sources of good fat is breastmilk. So I definitely wouldn't slow down there. Plus, he is almost 1 and breastmilk after 1 changes consistency and becomes even fattier.
February 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Have you used Fenugreek before? I had trouble with Ethan getting diarrhea when I started taking it when I went back to work.

Also, once Ethan started crawling (about 6.5 months), he started to lose interest in nursing & wasn't getting enough hindmilk. He was just too busy to stay put long enough for a good nursing session. I started pumping & giving him breast milk in a bottle. We still nursed at bedtime when he was willing to sit still. That was my solution to changing over to formula.

Good Luck!!
February 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM
sounds like a good question for the Mothering NH tribe!
February 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have gotten great recommendations from the Mothering forums. Our family doctor is extremely breastfeeding/AP friendly. We don't vax, and of course I extended breastfeed, we co-sleep, etc. Our doctor has never questioned any of that, he even told us not to come in for the regular 2, 4, 6, 9, 12 month visits and just come in when we feel like it or if there's a problem. As he said "You know she is growing, save your money, you don't need me to tell you that!" He's my midwife's husband and daughter too, so double bonus!

February 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM
never mind, looks like you took that one into your own hands!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search