The Bradley Method?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
RawrDiino's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to RawrDiino Send a message via Yahoo to RawrDiino
I dont have very long left. The truth is, I'm kind of only recently working hard towards my ideal child birth. I dont know if any of you remember my panic stricken post a while back, but with my first I made it 17 and a half hours, then was talked into an epidural by my mother, at which point, 30 minutes later, I delivered my son.

This time, I dont want to give in 30 minutes before delivery. This time, I want to make it. I have had some minor discussions with my mom and she keeps telling me she wont do it again, but I have warned her if I have to limit the people in my room to just myself and my fiance, I will. Because my fiance (of 5 years, who WAS there the first time) is extremely, 100% supportive. He is extremely anti-pitocin/augmentation of labor. I am extremely lucky to have his support.

I am nearly 29 weeks. I was looking into the bradley method today, and theres no way I could pay that much money for a 12 week class when I dont really have 12 weeks left. However, I WAS curious about the book "Husband Coached Childbirth." I was talking to SO about it, and mentioned maybe buying it, reading it, and reading some to him. He seemed... sort of surprisingly (only the letting me read to him part) all for it, seemed excited! Even said, if I had more than 12 weeks left, we'd do the class together.

So thats kind of thrilling. Now I am really considering buying this book. I really like the idea of reading it, highlighting/taking notes and reading stuff to SO. I think it would be great bonding...and I personally, am excited, cause I think he is going to be a great coach, an and I really believe he is going to be the person who helps ensure I get my hospital NCB like I want.

So have any of you had any experience with this book/method? What do you think?

That being said, a lot of ladies are suggesting Ina May's Guide to Childbirth as well, is this another one that would be good to do like I would the other, highlighting/taking notes/reading to my fiance?

C'mon ladies! I ALMOST did this last time, this time will BE NO ALMOST. I WILL have the NCB I want. I WILL!!
мα∂єℓуи 4.8.10
вєвє вєαи є∂∂ 7.30.11
ωιfєу тσ נσни 9.25.10
February 12th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Super Mommy
You don't have to take a Bradley specific class for your partner to learn coaching techniques. We took a 6wk class with a non-hospital agency that really just focused on NCB in general. We talked about things partners or doulas could do to help alleviate discomfort, talked about positions to be in to alleviate discomfort and help bring baby down, watched beautiful videos etc. Dh and I ended up being a pretty amazing team (my midwife was really impressed because it was only our first baby!). My advice would be to read Husband Coached Birth (and have your dh read it) and maybe see if there is a shorter, less expensive class in the area that focuses on NCB? I think one really important thing to emphasize with your dh is to not listen to what you say, but read your actions, facial expressions etc. To get in YOUR zone and try to be intuitive...really focused on YOU.

Good luck! Half the battle is your own determination and you sound pretty set on doing NCB this time...I'm sure you'll do great!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We took and LOVED bradley - we couldn't have done it without it. I highly recommend reading the book. Practice tons of relaxation too - and have him practice massage - you calves, your tailbone, everything. A really good tool we used in class was Sam (My dh/coach) had to hold an ice cube on my temple for 60 seconds and let me tell you that gets uncomfortable! It really helped me train myself to focus on getting through the discomfort with breathing and focusing.

We read the book together too and it's full of great information. Practice positions too - hands and knees, squatting, dancing with your partner, using a birth ball (you can get a yoga ball for like $10.00 at target) - just everything!!

good luck!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH and I did it by reading the book! I had taken the classes with my first DD years prior (DH is her step-dad) but we were broke and couldn't afford the classes when I was preggo with DS. I bought the book and we both read it. It worked for us because my DH is one those people that can learn anything by reading a book on it. Personally I would much rather take a class, but we ended up with a natural birth with DS!

I think the biggest thing is make up your mind and do it! I swear labor is all mind over matter. If having a natural child birth is important to you than have that in your head the whole time. And if you SO is supportive of you then you will do great!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
February 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think just the book would be fine. I did the classes and read a few books. Another book to look into is Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Way.

February 13th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Please read Ina May's Guide too - it is such an awesome 'you can do it' book.
Just a question for those of you who have done Bradley stuff - how far does the 'coach' analogy go? My DH is like mr anti sport kinda guy. and really not bossy 'coach' sort of person. I heard a podcast on it and thought it would really annoy my DH but what can you tell me?

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
February 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the husband's roll is simply to guide you - remind you to relax (your face, your hands, everything), do what you need (massage, ice, water, food, etc), and encourage you to try new positions when you're not doing what you need to do. like my husband had to tell me several times to relax my face during contrax, and he had to tell me to get on my hands and knees because i had a very stubbron posterior baby

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 14th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Monica I love how determined you are!
I finally really started looking into Bradley classes and they are expensive. I think with me being out of work it just won't be possible. So I will probably buy the books, but I don't think I will be able to get DH to read them....
You are so close hun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search