Saying hello and needing tips

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
This is my first time on this particular board but I'm hoping to have an unmedicated birth come May 17th... it's my first, so I'm pretty scared! I'm not sure what I should read first. I'm reading a few books right now... but still trying to collect tips, any suggestions regarding where/what I should read? Thanks!

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

February 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I think EVERYONE should read Pushed by Jennifer Block. Soo much information. Also Active Labor by Janet Balaskas is one I have and have heard it recommended a lot.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
February 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth (which, a few women on here suggested and I'm in the middle of it, I am really enjoying it!) Try not to be scared! Education is power, so you are doing the right thing to start reading up! Also, try to stay positive and only listen to positive experiences!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
welcome!

I loved pushed, but I would NOT recommend it for anyone who has never given birth before. I think it will install much more fear than any new mom needs entering labor for the first time. Just my opinion.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is a great place to start. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, The Bradley Method book has lots of excellent information. Check out the subforum here for lots of good sites and articles/information.

Do you plan on taking a natural minded class? Is your doc/midwife natural friendly? How is the hospital?
February 12th, 2010, 07:15 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
^^ I can see that about Pushed, but I know that when I was pregnant my first time I read and saw things that were scary to me withOUT the statistics and truth behind it. Kwim? At least if some facts will scare you there are true reason to what's going on.. if that makes sense lol. But no I do agree that it's probably not best for EVERY first time mom, but then again nothing really is.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
February 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thanks for your responses

Moon Maiden: Thankfully the hospital is quite accommodating; they have jacuzzi tubs that I will be using during the labor (they won't allow delivery in the tub though) and I also plan on trying hypnobirthing--I've heard so many good things about it.

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

February 13th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE Hypnobabies!!! I'm sure Hypnobirthing is awesome as well! You are really going to enjoy it!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 13th, 2010, 06:38 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
both hypno programs have pretty high success rates. I have heard slightly better things about hypnobabies. Are you going to take an actual class or do home study?

Where in MA are you?

I would do a deeper investigation into the tub at your hospital. For example, when it the last time it was actually used? Will they be ready for you to use it? This was a problem I had at the hospital I had my daughter at. I chose it especially for their NCB friendly climate, and the tub. I got there, the nurse took TWO hours to do my intake, in that time I went from 3 cm to 9cm and it was too late to get into the tub.

tips: have them start the tub while they are doing the intake, not after! Make sure someone you are with (husband, SO, doula whoever) asks them. And have them double check after! You will most likely be unable to make requests like that when you are concentrating on labor. Often women have a hard time expressing their needs or even recognizing them. I had this issue big time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search