nursing + pregnancy= BH's?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm almost 20 weeks now, and I nurse Cadie twice a day- for nap and bedtime. I only nurse for about 5 minutes before bed, and don't nurse her to sleep. However, I do nurse her to sleep for nap because when I tried to stop about 8 months or so ago, she stopped napping all together. Most times she nurses for like 20 minutes then she is asleep. About once a week or so she goes through this thing where she starts to fall asleep, then wakes back up again over and over for a really long period of time. Whenever this happens she nurses really really hard. She's like a wild animal! This was the case today. I fell asleep and then woke back up about 40 minutes later and had to stop her, I was so super annoyed and it HURT. Of course she woke up screaming. I switched sides. After a few minutes I realized why I woke up, I was having BH contractions. I really don't get them often, never this pregnancy so far and hardly ever when I was pregnant with Cadie that I remember. Luckily she fell asleep for good about 10 minutes later.

I still feel after shocks or something, it feels pretty weird in my abdomen. I thought if you were already nursing when you got pregnant nipple stimulation wouldn't cause any problems. Now I'm wondering. Is this common? Anything to be concerned about?

I sort of looked on kellymom but didn't really see anything.
February 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily weaned at 12.5 months so I only nursed her for about 1.5 months of pregnancy, but my midwives did tell me that breastfeeding can cause "nursing contractions" in some women. They told me it was only a concern if the contractions didn't stop after the nursing session was ended...I think they said within an hour after nursing finished.

February 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm not sure, I have only noticed BH's while nursing on a few occasions. I do know that BH's are way more noticeable earlier on in consecutive pregnancies. My midwives said a lot of first time moms never notice them, but second time moms do a lot. I had lots starting around mid-pregnancy and they've only gotten stronger and more frequent. Your midwife seems great, might be worth a call for her input. I doubt they are doing anything though, probably more annoying for you than anything else.
February 13th, 2010, 07:41 PM
it's weird, because it still hurts. More like "sore" I guess, not actual contractions anymore. I only nursed Cadie for 2 minutes before bed. I felt a few pangs but nothing major.

I have an appointment this week with her backup midwife, she is on vacation for like 3 weeks. I *could* call her, but I'm going to wait it out unless it continues. I just wish she wouldn't nurse so hard, it feels like she's going to rip my nipples off sometimes!
February 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Can you ask her to be gentle? Walter surprisingly gets it. Sometimes I am so sore I cry out and ask him to please be gentle. Last night it hurt so bad I had to ask him to be quick. He sucked for about 10 seconds and said, "I hurried up. Your booboo will be all better when Sam comes out."
February 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been getting B/H since 16 weeks - and I really notice them. I especially get them after sex - sometime even when I think about things that are lovey (only way I can describe it) I think you probably just notice more now - and I doubt unless they are going crazy (like 6 an hour) that you need to worry.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
February 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, since nursing releases oxytocin, I would imagine contractions would be the direct result. I don't think you need to worry.

February 14th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would just mention it to your MW and so they are aware. But if they aren't more than 6 in an hour I think you should be ok.
February 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I guess it was just super intense since it hurt still when I went to bed last night!
February 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had more frequent BH's when I nursed Abby. Luckily, she was down to nursing only for about 30 seconds by the end of the pregnancy because I was so sore and got so irritable when nursing her. Could you be getting sore because of the pregnancy or has she always nursed rough like that? I also started asking Abby to be gentle at that point and she did get it.
I dont' think it's anythign to worry about, I went 3 days over my EDD, so the extra BH's didn't hurt anything!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search