Rhythmic, pulsating fetal movement

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
For the past week or two, I have started noticing a new type of rhythmic, pulsating fetal movement. It happens around where I feel hiccups, but it's definitely not hiccups. This movement has the same rhythm to it, but it's very soft and feels more like a pulse. It lasts for a few minutes, the same as hiccups.

I thought maybe it was very soft hiccups or maybe the position of the baby making the hiccups feel less strong, but there have been times when he has gotten hiccups immediately afterwards and there has been no change in position.

I mentioned it to a midwife today and she said she has heard some women bring it up, and it turns out to be nothing. But she recommended I get an ultrasound next week sometimes just to be sure. I did a little googling and found some message boards where other women mentioned this type of sensation, but didn't find any academic websites with explanations.

I'm a little unsure of whether or not I should have the ultrasound. To be completely honest, I'm a little bit afraid that the tech is going to find something completely unrelated, like low fluid or something, and recommend induction or a c-section. It's not based on anything but fear I guess. I just don't want to have an unessesary ultrasound at this point in my pregnancy, but at the same time, the weird movement is a bit concerning to me and I don't want to overlook something serious.

Has anyone experienced this type of sensation? Any thoughts about what to do?
February 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I remember experiencing it in my pregnancy with Anna. I never asked about it, so I have no idea what it is, but I can understand being hesitant to have an ultrasound this late in the pregnancy. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!

Expecting baby #4!

February 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
what does your intuition tell you?
February 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I had an us at 41 weeks to check fluid level. It was my favorite if all my sonograms. I got to see a close up her face and I felt this amazing connection with her. I say go for it and enjoy the experience. The last thing you need right now is to be worried about something. And if they "find something" it will either be something dumb and u refuse an induction or a big deal and you will be glad they caught it. Most likely you will just get an image of your baby to carry with you into labor.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Oh wait. Light bulb. Maybe what you're feeling is baby doing his practice breaths.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM
My instinct says it's probably nothing, but it's nothing I ever noticed when pregnant with Walter and he moved and had hiccups all the time.

I posted about this in my DDC too and some people suggested it could be practice breathing. What exactly is that? I haven't heard of it before. Would it be rhythmic? And it's a lot faster than I would expect normal breathing to be like. Same speed as hiccups.

Thanks guys.
February 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM
never heard of it either....sounds pretty neat!

you know my stance on ultrasounds, but you have to do what you feel is right, not what I would do!
February 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I just found someone post this on a blog,

Quote:
I just had an ultrasound yesterday and the technician pointed out the “practice breathing” the baby was doing. She said “see his little tummy going up and down?” And we could also see and feel it in my abdomen from the outside. She said that not all babies do it, and if yours doesn’t it doesn’t mean that there is something wrong. But if your baby does do it, she said it is a great sign and he is practicing for the big day.
I'm quite certain it's practice breathing. Maybe I'm feeling it so much because I'm relatively thin. Thanks for the idea! I feel a lot better now.
February 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM
oh, nice. I can't believe how darn close you are! Who are you going to let know when you go to the birth center?
February 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'll update my Facebook from my phone. And I may update Alyssa from our playroom, depending on how things go.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search