Really?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 04:08 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Chelsea you punched your husband in the face! That's pretty hysterical!
February 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
This was me! To a tee! My labor was 3 hours and 40 minutes total. From the time my water broke to the time Katelynn made her appearance. It was intense. And I was very loud. But I would not change it for anything. I would like to be more prepared next time though.
I wouldn't change anything either! My midwife says freight train labors are the worst ones, but watching my friend go through a typical labor...no thanks. Sure she was composed and awesome, but I would still rather have mine! But from what I've been reading, second labors are more often than not shorter than the first, and I'll need to prepare for next time. Although with precipitous labors I think there's only so much preparation you can do...you just hang on for dear life!

February 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Super Mommy
I dont' know how accurate my story is but my neighbor and I have concluded (with 6 kids between us...none of which with epi's to slow them down) that subsequent births its the active labor that is shorter, not necessarily the WHOLE labor. My first labor was 24hrs spontaneous. After 17hrs I was still only at 5cm but then had 7hrs of total active labor (5-10cm) and about 3hrs of HARD labor. With ds2 I was induced. Total from start of pit was 18hrs. 11.5hrs after pit started I was still only at 5 cm and pit was maxed out at 20 so they did AROM. Then it was 3h45mins from 5-10cm. So my active labor was cut almost in half which is what my neighbor predicted. I dont' know how much had to do with the pit, how much had to do with me being upright/squatting through most of the contractions vs reclined in the tub for the first labor....the 2nd was definitely more intense.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I don't trust Pit labors to paint an accurate picture. You poor thing.

I took the info off a poll on another site. Over 1000 people answered - and it was directed at people with no interventions. The vast, vast majority of them had second labors around half - whether that was active or total I don't know, although most in the comments mentioned total.

But even if it's active, that would be 2 hours! Just enough time for the midwife to gather her supplies and get there!

February 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My first labor was 10 hours with epi, my second was 2 from start to finish without one. But I have a lot of prodromal labor so for at least 2-3 weeks before hand I labor on and off. So by the time I reach ACTUAL labor I am already at a 4. It was an intense labor and I was glad in some ways, but shocked in others. I didn't expect it to be so quick. I am terrified this time that I will not make it to the hospital. I have thought about homebirth, but didn't feel right about it. I don't want a transfer. My labors have been so quick that the hemorrhaging is pretty bad. And if I don't make it to the hospital, I don't know what I will do since I am afraid of the bleeding and feeling like crap part. Yeah, so when I come on here announcing my birth, I will be the girl who had the baby in the car on the way. I live about 20-30 minutes from each hospital, DH works 20-30 minutes away and most family besides a cousin who has agreed to help in a bind, are 20-30 minutes away. I swear I will call DH from my kitchen floor in full out labor, he will hurry home in hopefully 20 min, call the cousin and make it to the hospital in another 20 and I will have the baby 20 min later AT the hospital or in the car on the way. lol

Oh and I didn't feel the ring of fire with my medicated birth, but because I didn't feel it I ended up with a nasty internal 2nd degree tear that hurt horribly. My quick labor I had a much bigger baby and one tiny tear that needed two stitches.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

Last edited by LuvEmm; February 15th, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
February 16th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Yeah, I don't trust Pit labors to paint an accurate picture. You poor thing.
My induction wasn't all that bad actually. I really didn't feel any contractions until after my water was broken ( I even slept for 2 hrs over night)...they thought something was wrong with the pitocin because it wasn't effective so they took me off just before my water was broken. I was put back on a bit of a drip eventually but it wasn't nearly as bad as some other pit labors I've heard about
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 16th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree that it's not like that for every woman but it is possible. I think it takes a certain amount of relaxation, focus and, well, maybe luck? I think my birth with Emory was super calm. I never once cried out or screamed but it wasn't THAT calm.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 16th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am hoping I will be the lucky one and be able to be relaxed and focused. Although the tension with the staff and family will be high. Because I am on blood thinners, my mom has pretty much convinced herself I am going to bleed to death. Although I tell her that is not the case and she needs to stop worrying!
February 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
Chelsea you punched your husband in the face! That's pretty hysterical!

yeah it was one of my finer moments in life

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search