Really?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I was on you tube watching child birth videos. This is the first time I have done it and I have no idea what brought on the want.

I watched this video of a lady in a french hospital. She was doing a NCB and looked completely peaceful and calm. She was looking at herself in a mirror during delivery. I don't even think she broke a sweat. But while she was pushing she just looked so content...

Ok be honest ladies... Is it really like this?
February 14th, 2010, 06:07 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
For some women, yes. Those lucky B's who practically sneeze and out pops a baby. But for most women........no.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know the EXACT video you watched, LOL! I agree, for some yes, for me no! I handled labor really well and the pushing was the hard part for me. So I definitely didn't look that peaceful! You know who's videos I watched on here that has really peaceful births? Kellisa. I hope you don't mind me saying that Kellisa!

Thank you Claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!!!
Click HERE to see my belly pics!

February 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Super Mommy
Look for youtube births that are done with hypnobabies. I believe those births can be quite peaceful.

I had 2 extremes. Ds1's birth, boy I was sweating definitely, and exhausted, but I was quiet. Never yelled..never really grunted during pushing. I did controlled vocalizations during Transition but pushing was peaceful.

With ds2 I screamed through the entire 15 mins of "pushing"...I really didn't push, I just yelled and breathed lol. When he came out I looked up at dh and said "Guess I can't make fun of those crazy ladies that scream on A Baby Story anymore huh?"
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think hypnosis programs can really help you have a birth like that, depending on how well you adapt to stuff like that.

I will tell you though, it wasn't like that for me. I think that is perfectly ok. We all have to do what we feel at the time. There is nothing wrong with making as much noise as you want or need. It's a very primal thing. If you think about tennis players or weight lifters etc- they make loud grunts and sometimes even yell when they exert lots of power. It gives you an extra boost.

I think it does give us the impression that a women who is quiet or very calm during birth is more successful than someone who makes a lot of noise- I personally do not buy into that *at all*. You do what you gotta do.
February 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha. NO. I was even louder than normal because I had such a short, intense labor.

February 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I'll tell you a funny story. Well it wasn't funny at the time, and this may actually be the first time I've found any humor in my birth experience (yay! another small breakthrough! ) but I wasn't afraid AT ALL of NCB going into my delivery. I was terrified of interventions, but the idea of having contractions and pushing out a baby never frightened me in the least. And everyone kept asking me "are you afraid yet?" and I could never figure out why I should be afraid. I just had this feeling like no matter what happened, I trusted my CNM to handle it.

The night I checked into the hospital to have my induction - after everyone had gone home and I was there by myself trying to fall asleep despite the contractions from the cervadil - I heard a woman in another room scream. And the first time it happened, I thought I was imagining it. The second time it happened, I thought I was having nightmares. The next morning, when my DH was back and we heard it again, we laughed about how "unladylike" our neighbor was (bc she was cursing a blue streak in between screams). But the fourth time I heard it and then realized the other times had not been mistakes, I felt a little nervous. When I asked my CNM how many babies were delivered in the last 12 hours, she said four - two natural and two with epidurals, plus 3 c-sections. When I realized there had been four women giving birth since I'd been there - 2 of which had epidurals in - and we heard all four of them screaming.........well then I was afraid. My DH pointed out that we only heard each one scream once (except for our colorful neighbor), and I should feel free to announce the arrival of our daughter to the neighbors like "all the cool Moms are doing." Then I wasn't afraid anymore.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
I think hypnosis programs can really help you have a birth like that, depending on how well you adapt to stuff like that.

I will tell you though, it wasn't like that for me. I think that is perfectly ok. We all have to do what we feel at the time. There is nothing wrong with making as much noise as you want or need. It's a very primal thing. If you think about tennis players or weight lifters etc- they make loud grunts and sometimes even yell when they exert lots of power. It gives you an extra boost.

I think it does give us the impression that a women who is quiet or very calm during birth is more successful than someone who makes a lot of noise- I personally do not buy into that *at all*. You do what you gotta do.
^^DITTO!

I was very quiet up until I hit transition. But even then I wasn't screaming or anything, just moaning and primal. I did scream while pushing though, I let the pain and pressure get a hold of me and it took me a minute or two to get back in control. Then after that I was pretty quiet. I only pushed for 5 minutes though lol. Oh, and I did hypnobabies!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

February 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was pretty quiet in labor, though definitly not tranquil. my only sounds were when i cried during transition, laughing between contractions (which were every minute, but i was still joking a lot) and then screaming bloodyyyyy murder when i sat down on the toilet and i thought the babe was guna fall out...i was alone in the bathroom w/ dh and really scared! lol..its sooo different for everyone

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff802 View Post
I know the EXACT video you watched, LOL! I agree, for some yes, for me no! I handled labor really well and the pushing was the hard part for me. So I definitely didn't look that peaceful! You know who's videos I watched on here that has really peaceful births? Kellisa. I hope you don't mind me saying that Kellisa!
I DO have pretty calm births, but not quite as, umm... joyful as that woman's! By nature I get super calm when I'm in pain or in a difficult situation. I once sliced my finger open really deep while washing dishes. I didn't make a sound. DH was standing right next to me and didn't realize for a while until I calmly asked him to go get the phone.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was really calm with Lily's birth up until the pushing. Then I screamed in between pushes even though it didn't hurt. I think it was just due to the high energy in the room and the feelings of pressure.

February 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Tranquil? Eh, no. I have very easy and fast births. I talk, smile, laugh -- in good spirits, but not in the way like the woman in the video. She looked trippy.

My last labor was a case of, "Oh, contractions have started. Nice intensity and close together."/ to "Holy sh*t! He's here!!" -- 15 minutes. 5 minutes before his birth I told my mom via phone that things would probably really kick in soon (my thinking was 30 minutes to an hour). And by "kick in" I mean labor.

It was definitely not serene or peaceful. My mind and body were in a state of pure shock. Even DD2's birth, which a bit longer at 47 minutes, was abrupt and crazy.

Pax, Aeon

February 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Kathryn I am one of the women that makes fun of the women on A Baby Story when they are screaming. DH is even worse. I just laugh.

Danielle your story made me giggle.

I do have a feeling I will say a nice streak of swears, but I work where I am delivering so they are all used to my language!
February 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Super Mommy
LOL its okay Amee...I still do too. My first birth was just so happy...I think its so funny how so many of them have epis in full effect, are still screaming and then after talk about it like it was no big deal! lol.

With ds2 first I was yelling at the doc because I was pushing involuntarily and she says "Don't Push! I have to make sure you're complete!" and I yelled "I can't not push!" (my aunt heard that clearly down the hall...later she says oh that was you?! lol) Then she figured out that baby was practically crowning and she said "Okay, you can push now" I was like gee thanks but again I just yelled at her "I don't want to push!!!" lol. So I didn't and he just sort of slid out, no forceps or anything, but he was only 5lbs. It was all sort of crazy fast and the doc only had 1 glove on lol.

Birth is a very natural process...it will turn out best if you dont' go in saying "Oh I won't do that" or "I'll definitely do that"....if you just let your body respond how it needs to and vocalize as you need to...it will be beautiful.

Can you post a link to the video you watched?
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I never screamed, but I made a ton of noise and while pushing (3 hours!) I sobbed like a baby between contractions. I really don't care though, I got the results I wanted!
February 14th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is this the birth video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKVp4FQ4sd8

she's chatting and laughing, having a wonderful time.

Thank you Claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!!!
Click HERE to see my belly pics!

February 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Yup that was it!

I just had DH watch it!
February 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I did hypnobabies, and got my all natural birth, but it most certainly wasn't quiet or peaceful.

Come visit my blog!
February 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Yea DH was like that is not how that happens!
February 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM
danischmell's Avatar Regular
Every contraction I had I just said 'ow ow ow ow ow ow' until it was over. It wasn't really a conscious choice or anything and I probaly could've
come up w something more contrstructive to say but when I opened my mouth that's what came out. Lol. I was very vocal. My younger sister was there and I think I scared the crap out of her. Lol. But hey. It worked for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search