Did your OB/the hospital try to force you to take drugs during labor?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just saw "The Business of Being Born" last night. It was so interesting and informative (while still being entertaining). The part that scared me is that a lot of women mentioned wanting natural childbirth, but they felt the hospital was in a rush to get them out and would force the drugs on them if they didn't deliver after 12 hours. Those drugs would lead to a cascade of more drugs, and lots of times, a C-section. Most of the time, the doctor would say "You're putting your baby at risk if you don't ..." What do you say to that?

I don't have a mid-wife in my area and the hospital is only 5 minutes away, and they do have a tub (not for birth, just for labor) and allow you to stay in the same room for labor, delivery, and recover. I'd really like to deliver at this hospital, but how can I make sure they don't force me to take meds? A C-section would be my worst nightmare.

Last edited by Jule'sMomInOR; February 14th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
February 14th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
if they say "you're putting your baby at risk" just say back to them "yeah, well the medications will put my baby at risk too, and I'd rather not do that" Have you looked into getting a doula? OR at least make sure your wishes are known to someone who will help stand up for you. A lot of times women go into labor land so much (like me) that they can't really communicate with other people effectively.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband saw the movie with me, and I now he's onboard with the natural childbirth. At first when I told him about it, he said "Why would you want to suffer if you don't have to?" and then I explained it. I think he will be good at communicating my wishes. I can tell already that when I'm in labor and someone asks me if I want meds even though it's says in my birth plan that I don't, my method of communication will be to say "F- off!". So I guess I better put him in charge of that.

February 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally regret not having a doula, and will always have one from here on out!

My situation was different because I had to be induced, but I was with a midwife. I would've had a c/section if I had been with an OB. But under normal circumstances, I think you need to be confident in your knowledge (as does your husband, doula, mom, whoever you have there) because you need them to be able to communicate your wishes confidently when you're working through the pain.

For instance, you can say "I don't want pitocin" and your doc can say "Well we NEED the pitocin" and you need to be able to say why you don't want the pitocin, what you're going to do to encourage stronger contractions on your own, and why you know the pit is more dangerous. if you dont know the facts, it's just too easy to be bullied

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My hospital didn't even offer me drugs at all. But I was very clear when we came in that I didn't want any and I had a fast labor. I was only in the hospital for roughly 3 hours before delivering Lily.

I would try to labor at home as long as possible so that hopefully the time you spend in the hospital laboring is short. That way there is less pressure about being on the clock and delivering by a certain point.

February 14th, 2010, 10:21 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My take on it is, if you are in a situation where the pain meds aren't available, or aren't offered, you will get through it. If you are in pain and getting overwhelmed and someone keeps on asking you if you want them, even though they aren't pushy just kind, it will be really, really, really hard to say no. So in that case I would ask for a nurse who likes NCB when you get to the hospital and maybe put a sign on your door asking that the "E" word isn't to be mentioned.

The same thing for pitocin and stuff like that. I can't imagine a time much more vulnerable than labor, and someone coming in and telling you that you need to do such and such or your baby will be hurt makes it really easy to doubt yourself. I would definitely recommend having a couple people there for support who are forceful and educated. You need someone you can trust to speak up for you, but also educated to be honest with you and know when an intervention may be necessary. So maybe get your dh on board, or your mom/sister/friend and even better, getting an experienced doula.

February 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
My hospital forced me to be induced to begin with. After that though, I had a great midwife and wonderful L&D nurses. They did recommend an epidural and medication to counteract the pitocin - but that was only after my uterus became hyperstimulated. While I was contracting normally, they were really really encouraging. They kept telling me how great I was doing and talked to each other where I could hear about how awesome I was handling the labor. I found it all to be very supportive. And they tolerated my "weirdness" like refusing to wear a hospital gown and eating when I wasn't supposed to by just sorta pretending they didn't notice. The hospital policies that govern their actions created my problems - not the people themselves.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I've had quite a few pushy doctors, and one fantastically great doctor.

Once, a doc was trying to convince me that I needed a c-sec (my middle son, induction wasn't working - it's state mandated that I must be induced because of my BP). She used the "you're putting your baby in danger" line, but I was already mad (she'd been working on me for a couple of hours) and I just told her that she was putting herself in danger if she didn't shut up about a c-section. Wasn't going to happen.

All three of mine have been induced. The first one, they didn't know my high bp was chronic. I've had shots of demerol, but induction never progresses fast enough and it's always worn off before time to deliver - which never happens until they break my water. Hoping this time to have doc (same one as last time, prayerfully!!) strip my membranes before trying to induce me via the pit drip.

So, we'll see how differently my labors progress if I get to do that! (I bet he at least lets me try it, assuming he's the one I get to go to, which will depend on our upcoming move.)

I like to remind people that the doctor works for YOU, not the other way around, and I always make it very clear (maybe borderline rude, and I'm not like that) to the nurses and staff that I do NOT want meds and do NOT offer them to me. If I want them I'll ask. Every new nurse that walks in the room, I make sure she's aware of such - and that I've done this before, thank you very much.

Yep. Some hospitals are pushy about the meds. You just push right back, hun. *huggles*

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With David it was a completely different experience than Katelynn. With David I had pre-e and tons of drugs. But I knew I wanted to try my hardest for as much of a med free birth as possible but I caved and got an epi. But they were very kind and didnt ask if I wanted it or needed it. With Katelynn the nurse I had was so nice and telling me I could do it. Very comforting. Even though at first I snapped at her haha. But she continued to be nice to me.

February 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Shockingly, no. All the nurses asked for a copy of my birth plan too. I think because that's the only hospital my OB delivers at, they know his patients are mostly NCB and/or VBACs. They encouraged me to get up and walk around, use the birth ball, get out of the bed in general. It wasn't until I was 20hrs into labor and only 1cm that my OB recommended starting the pit. Never once was I offered any pain killers. I requested the epi myself after 12/13hrs on the pit and 33hrs into the labor. They asked me 3x if I was sure I wanted it. I know that it's probably not the norm in most hospitals, but I do look forward to laboring and delivering there again one day.

ETA: I had a doula as well.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

Last edited by The Purple Butterfly; February 14th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
February 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I feel like I went really out of my way to set things up so they would go my way. I moved from a large OB office that delivered at a baby factory to a small midwife practice that delivered out of a smaller, quiet, NCB friendly hospital. It was so worth it!

I didn't get offered drugs at all, not once. I had a doula with me, and my birth plan (which I don't even know if the nurse looked at or not) and my husband knew my wishes well. My midwife only showed up for the pushing and by then it's too late for drugs anyway. I know she respected my wishes and never tried to intervene in anyway, even though it took 3 hours to push and I am sure many OB's (and even some midwives) would have been trying to speed things along.
February 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My midwife- I was in a midwife group so I never met her before birth, thankfully she was really good- hadn't read my birth plan so when I came in at 6 cm she asked if I had planned an epi or no epi and she would only ask once. I said no, she said great then lets work together and I got in the tub to labor. The nurse never mentioned it either. Even when I began hemorrhaging they tried to avoid the pit, but after a long time of trying everything else and feeling like crap, I agreed it was time to give it a try. The thing that bugged me was I wanted baby to nurse and they took her away! The biggest problem I had with the hospital was that. This time I will demand my baby nurse as soon as possible to help the bleeding stop.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I second having a doula or other support person who knows your wishes for NCB. I was in a position where my water had broken 12+ hours prior to going to L&D and they were trying to put me on Pitocin as soon as I was admitted. I was able to decline it for a few hours but after a while I gave in, my husband did not back me up at all (he hadn't done any research so he didn't understand how the cascade of interventions can begin) and that was a big part of why I didn't fight harder - it's hard to go against what "they" are saying is "best for the baby" when no one else is supporting you and willing to help you stand up for what you want. So make sure your support people know what you want as well, that they also understand the reasons why, and that they are willing to help you have the experience you want.

February 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I say my nurses more than I saw my MW or OB... the nurses and MW NEVER forced meds on me except I ended up on Pitocin (My water broke and after 5 hours hadn't had a single contraction)..

The nurses and MW knew my plan for NCB so they never brought up the thought of them to me but offered other ways of pain relief and labor help...

My OB on the other hand kept bringing up the thought of c/section... I opted for an epidural to relax my body the rest of 6cm... it worked in under 2 hrs had the epi shut off once I was fully dilated and effaced and waited for the big show...
February 15th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My dad loves to tell me about how my mother just ordered all the nurses and doctors around! She had 2 natural child births (1979 and 1986) She just told them who could come in and who could touch her and what they were going to do LOL! I wish I could have her around.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
February 15th, 2010, 04:52 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I second making sure your DH is educated on WHY you don't want certain things bc they will use him against you if they can. My DH bought their line about needing an induction hook line and sinker and wouldn't even entertain the idea of me trying to buck the system. And when they decided I needed an epi and were anticipating a fight they convinced him first so it was all against me. I was too exhausted by then to fight anything and as soon as they said I might still avoid a cs I consented. But if I had wanted to fight it would have been tough going against him like that. But it's not hisfault. They convinced him that his wife and child were in danger. We really were but it still would have worked on him if they were full of crap like some OBs.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
The OB on duty with DS1 knew we were planning a homebirth. He was "fine" with moms wanting to go med-free. It wasn't like it was my first baby, so he didn't seem skeptical about my wishes. However, given the situation he advised me to consider pain medication because he was going to be more aggressive with the induction. Something they don't do in live births. Since there's no baby to worry about they can take a different, more harsh, approach. It's their way of "Getting it done and over with."

I had really hoped that I could just labor on my own or induce with AROM and go from there, but he wasn't confident anything was going on down there (cervical ripeness). He strongly suggested I receive pain medication *before* the first VE. He didn't want to cause me any more pain. Eh, I don't find VEs painful at all, but whatever. I didn't argue about it. I didn't want to be loopy and completely detached from the 'experience'/his birth so I opted for the epidural. I really wasn't sure how the induction was going to play out. He made a convincing case for it by how he was talking.

Yeah, it wasn't a good experience. I wish we would have stayed home, but I'm not sure how that would have worked (coroner/lived on base, whether there would have been an investigation). The induction itself was very fast, but it wasn't the birth I had anticipated or wanted.

Thank goodness I won't be birthing at a hospital again unless absolutely medically necessary.

February 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM
noworries
The hospital I deliver at is pretty NCB friendly. My nurses and doctor all respected my birth plan and didn't once offer me drugs or ask me how much pain I was in.
February 17th, 2010, 07:30 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was actually very surprised, but NO! I went in and showed the nurse my birth plan - she asked me to sign the anesthesia waiver, which I'm pretty sure I said no. the anesthesiologist came in once to introduce herself but actually didn't even come more than 5 feet into my room. She asked if I wanted anesthesia and I said nope! I never saw her again and no one ever mentioned it again!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

February 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
blue daisy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
from the moment I was wheeled in ( in MAJOR pain at 8 cms and posterior baby) I was almost harrassed about getting an epidural. Like, seriously, she kept pushing it every minute!!! I kept saying no, or someitmes I could only shake my head or ignore her but she wouldnt stop. Even the jerk dr. made me feel bad for not having one. Thankfully I stood my ground and delivered "fast" enough...cuz under the pressure I may have caved. jerks just wanted me out of the room fast.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search