I feel like an idiot

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea what I was thinking.
I guess I didn't fully realize that to take midwife classes you have to already be a nurse. I never wanted to go to nursing school, even though I am a medical assistant.

I will have to find a school that directs their nursing classes towards midwifery. I found a school Frontier School of Midwifery and family practice... They do have a distance program. But I do believe you have to be a RN first....

My issue with going to a campus right now is if something happened and can I really go to a school campus while having a newborn? KWIM?

I have no idea why I feel the need to go back to school or what have you but I do!
February 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will find the website for a MW school in Michigan... it doesn't seem like you have to be an RN but I think its just MW and CNM... KWIM?
February 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I think I get what you are saying....
February 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Look into programs to become a certified professional midwife if that's legal in your state. They do not have to be nurses first. My midwives teach at the Frontier school btw. Small world Also you might consider looking inti becoming a postpartum doula like I'm doing. I wanted to be a birth doula but realized I couldn't handle it with small children much less an infant. So I'm going to become a pp doula first and then maybe get my birth doula licensure when I'm done having babies of my own.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I was reading the website for CPM, and got confused! Big surprise with pregnancy brain.
I was considering a doula as well and then got to thinking of having the baby and such that would be hard to just up and leave and expect DH to handle it.. I will definitly look into a postpartum doula as well.
February 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
frontier is a good school, but you have to be an RN. one of my very best friends is doing her CNM residency now and is a student in the distance program at Frontier. She got to go to guatamela (sp) and delivery babies there before delivering them in the US she is soooooo close to being done! It's VERY hard on her though emotionally because it requires a LOT of time away from her family (she has twin 1 year olds and a 6 year old) ... i mean a LOT of time...she was in guatamala for a 11 weeks, and now regularly works 3-4 days in a row without being able to go home

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wow! How exciting for your friend. I understand how that would be really hard on her. Especially being away from her LO's for that long.
February 15th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's funny - my ttc, and then miscarriages and now pregnancy - have made me think about wanting to become a midwife or doula.
Look for Direct Entry programs. In canada - you do not have to become a nurse first. If I were to become a midwife I'd definitely do direct entry - I have no interest in normal nursing.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
February 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I did find some direct entry programs!
February 15th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are 2 types of midwifes,
1) CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife)
2) CPM (Certified Professional Midwife)

CPM's don't have to have their nursing degrees, however, most states, if any, will not let you deliver a baby in their hospital, so you will have to deliver home births.
Home births are "illegal" in my state, however, there are still CPMs that aren't RNs that do home births here. None have been prosecuted. So, I plan on becoming a CPM, I really only want to do home births.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I looked into this, too, and I found some sites where you could search each state for their laws and rules about the different pathways. I can try to find them again tomorrow (I have them bookmarked on my laptop and won't be able to boot it up until tomorrow).

One thing to consider though, is if you are already a medical assistant, you may be able to find an accelerated RN program. I looked into that as well, and if I were to go back to school I would probably become a CNM rather than LM, CPM, etc. You are much more likely to find a job in any state. I decided to put that on hold until my children are older and then see if it was something I wanted to do. In the meantime, look into becoming a doula.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search