Pitocin

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I really would like everyone's take on this subject. Just a little background on me: With DS I got and epi but after 14 hrs it wore so i was unmediated for the last 1 1/2 and for the pushing part. Due to the fact that my contractions weren't regular they gave me pitocin. I reacted baby with it but my blood presser going up and down and the baby's HR dropping. I stayed on it but had to go off it for 30 min every 1hr. Now that I'm planning going natural I have heard that they still us pitocin. I really don't want to but I'm not sure if I have to if I'm not contraction regular. My DH doesn't see my view and thinks that whatever they say I should go with because they know best but I don't feel that way. I can't get him to see my view on that part. I hope this made since and hope someone can help me on it.

February 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
lilflower
The best advice I can give is stay at home until you just KNOW that the baby is coming soon. The longer you are at the hospital the more likely they will give you pitocin to speed things up. Contractions don't have to be regular to make changes in your cervix. I'm sorry your DH isn't very understanding. Doctors make mistakes and they also are so "medically" trained that they don't remember that everyone is different anymore. You can refuse any drug in the hospital.
February 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
With DS my water broke so They told me that I had 24 hrs to deliver or I had to have a c-section so I went ahead. This time if my water breaks I'll stay home longer and when I do go in I'll just tell them a few hrs before I got there. I know the reason they say that but I hate that policy.

February 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I agree with staying home as long as you can, especially when your goal is a natural labor. You can always refuse pitocin and other interventions. I think it would be important to get your DH or another support person, like a doula on board with your decisions. I personally can't imagine having to fight DH during labor, ya know? Is there any way you can get him on board with not wanting pitocin and refusing interventions like that?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
lilflower
If you tell them no vaginal exams until you are ready to push you don't need to worry about an infection occurring within the 24 hours after the water breaks. They will probably want to check you when you get there too. But all too often they do too many exams and that leads to more chance of infection. Or you could just say, "about an hour ago" when you get to the hospital. I'm sorry DH isn't on board. Does he like to read? If so I have some wonderful links that would help explain the risks of interventions before being absolutely necessary!
February 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Really I just need to learn more about the drug so that when I talk to him I can explain better why I don't want it. He's for everything else but with DS they told him that whole 24 hr rule and the danger of having your water broke for so long that it's just set in his mind that it's medically necessary.

February 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well, you should be able to find some good stuff in our subforum. There isn't a pitocin specific thread, but lots of links and articles.

In general, pit gives you very strong contractions right away and really puts the squeeze on baby. It also can interfere with the natural hormonal blueprint of labor (there is a thread in the subforum about that) and of course it greatly increases your chance of other interventions and c-section. There are women who can make it through labor with pit and without an epidural, but those women are rare and they are superhuman! I mean that in a good way, it's got to be one of the toughest things ever!
February 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
pitocin is evil ... tell him you're going to unnecessairly hook an IV up to him and use it to make his testicles contract.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
My labor with my son was a lot like yours. Got an epidural and "needed" the pitocin and ended up hemorrhaging a lot after wards which my midwifes are now telling me is probably because of the pitocin. I'm hoping to avoid it at all costs this time. It made my contractions so painful even with the epidural (which ended up wearing off after every 2 hours) and the bleeding was the worst part of the whole experience for me.
February 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Read up on the dangerous potential side effects of pitocin before you talk to him. You can show him my birth story if you need proof that it can fail to cause regular contractions and that it's very dangerous if you have a bad reaction. Also refuse efm. If they're not constantly monitoring your contrx they're less likely to notice if they aren't perfectly regular. And if your labr stalls walking and changing positions are much better than pitocin. Also should you maybe change doctors and find one who will agree not to order it unless it's truly medically necessary to avoid a cs.

If it comes down to it put your foot down. Pitocin takes a painful natural process and makes it absolute torture - as ChicaChels and I and I'm sure many others can attest. Your DH needs to understand that he doesn't get to force you to do something that's going to intensify your pain severely. Unless he wants to volunteer his nuts as a stress ball during your labor kidding

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
There are women who can make it through labor with pit and without an epidural, but those women are rare and they are superhuman! I mean that in a good way, it's got to be one of the toughest things ever!
I totally mean no offense here, and I will explain, but this is TOTALLY making me crack up! I must be superhuman into the exponents or something, because I've done exactly that three times now.

And now I shall say, pit has had the exact opposite effect on me - the stupid crap doesn't work. I'm not joking. Nothing happens until they break my water. Literally.

I'll also say that I pondered exactly how to respond to this thread from since within minutes of when it was posted. I'm super familiar with the pit.

A quick recap of my three birth stories (and I'll really try to make them actually quick ) -

Baby #1, 1999. I was 19 years old, and they suspected pre-ecclampsia because of my blood pressure. I'd been in the hospital, then moved across the state to live with parents and of course switched doctors. (This is TX we're talking - I moved 400 miles.)

Pit drip induction at 7am. I haven't slept all night and I consent to iv meds to help me rest between contractions. (I'd researched beforehand and knew what it was, and that it would wear off in about 4 hours.) Nothing happens. Yep, a few contractions, and I went from a 2 to a 3, but that's it. Lunch time, doctor breaks my water. Less than 2 hours and 5 pushes later, we have a baby boy, 7lbs 1oz.

Baby #2, 2003. I was 23 years old, going to a stupid family clinic. I saw the same doc (well, he was a... prego brain fart here.. guy still in school... resident!!) every time I went, but at the hospital for delivery saw the doc on call. By now we know that my high blood pressure is a chronic condition and they have me on meds. This is the time when they overmedicated me and I had a seizure in front of my 4yo. VERY scary stuff.

Pit drip induction at 38 weeks. All. Day. Long. Nothing happened. Spent the night and repeated the next day. Still nothing. Sent me home and repeated at 39 weeks. Still nothing. Doctor is talking c-section, for over 2 hours, when I finally told her if she said it again she'd regret it. So they broke my water. Less than 2 hours and 5 pushes later, we had a baby boy, 8lbs 11oz. His heart rate dropped with every contraction; turns out his cord was wrapped around his neck. He hiccup-breathed for about an hour and was - and is - fine.

Baby #3, 2004. I was 24 years old, and didn't know I was pregnant until I felt the baby move. (This is my third baby, and I'm no idiot - I just had no symptoms!) Found a doctor that actually listened to me and credited me with a brain. I'm hoping to use this doctor again this time, pending our upcoming move.

Pit drip induction at 38wks, 3 days. All day long again, with only a cm or so difference. Next day again, and he came in at noon and broke my water. Then he LEFT THE CAMPUS to go eat lunch and almost didn't make it back in time to deliver baby! In less than 2 hours - and a few more pushes this time, as we had a bit of shoulder dystochia that I pushed past - we had a baby boy, 9lbs 1oz.

The pit drip is NOT all it's cracked up to be. Everyone reacts to it differently, and there's no way to know until it happens. Having high blood pressure, it is state mandated that I be induced - but please sweetie, if you have any choice at all, exhaust those choices before going this route!! Let your hubby read this thread!

For what it's worth, whatever doc I have this time - and again, I'm hoping for the same one that delivered my last - I'm going to try to talk him into trying a few things BEFORE strapping me to the bed and jamming an IV in my arm (which is hard enough in and of itself). For one thing, I'm going to ask that he strip my membranes. After all, pit drip doesn't work on me. It. Just. Doesn't. Let's do something else, for logic's sake, shall we?

Best wishes, sweetie!! And hugs to you!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 16th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree that you should stay home as long as possible. Unless there is a medical emergency, there is no reason to have pitocin. Irregular contractions are not an emergency and are quite normal. Doctors want to use pitocin because they want to see you deliver within a certain amount of time. They want to speed things up. Your baby will come when it's ready to come and if you went into labor on your own, it's pretty safe to assume it doesn't need any help "speeding things up."

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My water broke at 2am and I didn't get to the hospital until about 3-4hrs later and was started on Pitocin about 5hrs after my water broke... I wasn't have a single contracton after my water broke and was put on the 24hr time clock as well...

I have learned now that for my 2nd pregnancy when my water breaks and the fluid is clear I won't bother calling my MW until I start feeling contractions... I feel if after 6-8hrs after my water breaks that I don't have contractions I will then call my MW and go from there, but I will be doing things in those hours to help encourage contractions....

DD was my first pregnancy and yes for as much as I thought I was prepared I was suckered into some things, and have realized that even though this MW is under an OB they still are 100% no intervention MW.... they kinda have to follow the order of the "higher up" but for my next pregnancies I will and am going to be more prepared and stick to my guns more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I agree that you should stay home as long as possible. Unless there is a medical emergency, there is no reason to have pitocin. Irregular contractions are not an emergency and are quite normal. Doctors want to use pitocin because they want to see you deliver within a certain amount of time. They want to speed things up. Your baby will come when it's ready to come and if you went into labor on your own, it's pretty safe to assume it doesn't need any help "speeding things up."
Question... if your water breaks and you aren't having contractions, fluid is clear. When should you consider going to the hospital if you aren't producing contractions? Time frame?
February 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
Question... if your water breaks and you aren't having contractions, fluid is clear. When should you consider going to the hospital if you aren't producing contractions? Time frame?
My midwives said 8 hours for a first time Mom and 12 hours for other moms. I'm sure many would be comfy going longer, but 12 would probably be the max for me before at least calling just bc if the baby gets a fever after birth they get all hot & bothered about doing a spinal tap and I would let them do a c/s with no anesthesia on me b4 I'd let them hurt my newborn like that.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
My midwives said 8 hours for a first time Mom and 12 hours for other moms. I'm sure many would be comfy going longer, but 12 would probably be the max for me before at least calling just bc if the baby gets a fever after birth they get all hot & bothered about doing a spinal tap and I would let them do a c/s with no anesthesia on me b4 I'd let them hurt my newborn like that.

So with my next pregnancies I can go up to 12hrs.. which I would probably go a max of 8hrs... but I know this sounds bad but I would fudge the time my water broke just so I wasn't put on the clock...

I understand amniotic fluid is replenished every 3hrs so as long as I stayed hydrated baby should be ok, as long as fluid is still clear?
February 16th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I don't think there's anything bad about fudging your hours AT ALL. Keep hydrated and only let your midwife do your internals (no nurses or anyone else) and only do them when she absolutely insists. Also I was told that showering after my water broke at home was OK, but they would rather I not get in my bathtub unless it was freshly sanitized. I certainly wasn't going to scrub our only bathtub while I was in labor, but if you have more than one tub in your house maybe you could keep one scrubbed clean until you go into labor....?

Also if you have a home dopplar I would try to measure the babys hr every half hour or so just to make sure he/she is tolerating the new amniotic environment well. That's certainly not essential, but it would just make me feel better and more relaxed about how I was managing my labor.

February 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
So with my next pregnancies I can go up to 12hrs.. which I would probably go a max of 8hrs... but I know this sounds bad but I would fudge the time my water broke just so I wasn't put on the clock...

I understand amniotic fluid is replenished every 3hrs so as long as I stayed hydrated baby should be ok, as long as fluid is still clear?
Yep amniotic fluid is replenished, the reason there is an increased chance of infection is vaginal exams and GBS.
February 16th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Marley'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
well, you should be able to find some good stuff in our subforum. There isn't a pitocin specific thread, but lots of links and articles.

In general, pit gives you very strong contractions right away and really puts the squeeze on baby. It also can interfere with the natural hormonal blueprint of labor (there is a thread in the subforum about that) and of course it greatly increases your chance of other interventions and c-section. There are women who can make it through labor with pit and without an epidural, but those women are rare and they are superhuman! I mean that in a good way, it's got to be one of the toughest things ever!
Well that was me Superhuman...It was tough but I did it. I had the same thing happen to me. My water broke at home and I went straight to the hospital. Because my water broke they wouldn't let me in the tub as planned. They let me be overnight but when morning came and I still hadn't gone into active labor they gave me the infection spiel and I agreed to it. I had a super hard sort of fast (hrs) labor with out any meds or epi and only pushed for 10 min. It was awful though. I was in so much pain the contractions were incredible intense and they were "back contractions" which I hear is worse. I punched the wall in the bathroom and the midwives got scared because they thought I broke my hand lol. Funny thing my mom asked for an ennima because i really felt like I had to go and once they gave it to me and I went, I pushed him out 10 min later.

All I can say is that I was somewhat educated but not nearly enough. I knew enough to go to a midwife and that was a good start but I could have learned more. This time around I have read a lot. Learned a lot from ladies like yourselves and have tons of questions for my midwife. I would love a home birth but I don't think my insurance covers it, but I am looking into it. Otherwise I will go back to the same birthcenter with the midwives but I have a lot of policy questions.

I am hoping to have a smoother experience this time around.

***In answer to your plea...you can talk and talk and even try to get him to read articles...but honestly good luck if he is anything like most men. They want to be shown. I recommend watching The Business of Being Born. It is a documentary that will make you think about why you should or shouldn't go along with the flow. This docu has a strong viewpoint, but it is very eye opening. HIGHLY recommended***

Last edited by Marley'sMommy; February 16th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
February 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you so much ladies. After reading what everyone has posted and the things is the subform I feel I'm ready to talk to DH tonight about it. I meet with my MW next week and will be letting her know my wants and see where she is. I'm so glad that I'm able to get great advice from you ladies. Really books and internet are great but talking to others about it is much better due to the stories and personal care about the subject.

February 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Let us know how it goes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search