Jacuzzi tub at the hospital, question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
So the hospital where I plan on having my baby in a few months offers jacuzzi tubs, just for the labor but not delivery. I haven't had a chance to tour the hospital/ask questions, but I was wondering if anyone ever used a hospital jacuzzi tub during the labor and when they told you to get out? What is the big deal about staying in the tub during the delivery :/?

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

February 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
My hospital has the jacuzzi tubs too but I was able to deliver in there as well as labor in there. Is it hospital policy? Or your Dr? I know at my hospital they don't have a policy on it, it's up to the Dr. The 3 midwives that deliver there will all let you deliver in the tub, but the OB's will only let you labor in there.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

February 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Oh cool! I'm not sure if it's just the hospital's policy, I think it might be but I need to double check. Also, last time I called I was planning on going with an OB, but now I have a midwife so I'm hoping I can deliver in there! I've heard so many great things about water births.

February 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Quote:
Originally Posted by irunpink View Post
Oh cool! I'm not sure if it's just the hospital's policy, I think it might be but I need to double check. Also, last time I called I was planning on going with an OB, but now I have a midwife so I'm hoping I can deliver in there! I've heard so many great things about water births.
I just had my first waterbirth 5 days ago and it was absolutely AMAZING I wish I could go do it again. I just posted my birth story and pics in the birth story section.

It was by far my best delivery out of all 7.

(note to self - update siggy and screen name lol)
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

February 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Congrats! I would love to have a big family like yours! I'm just getting started, this is our first .

February 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard of hospitals with that policy. It sounds like it's a liability issue, to me. I think it basically comes down to the fact that they are afraid that something could happen (even though there are no studies that waterbirth has contributed to any birth complications) and you would sue them for it. I think they have you get out before you start pushing or when you start to have the urge to push. It sounds ridiculous to me, personally, I did NOT want to move when I started pushing!

February 15th, 2010, 05:51 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
When I had my son, I wanted to labor in the tub and they had the same rule. You had to get out before delivery, I think because water births are still unconventional and it's hard to monitor baby, monitor post partum bleeding, and there is a small risk of the umbilical cord breaking under water and baby drowning if they fall back in the water after coming out. I didn't end up using the tub because my water broke and they had that stupid rule too... Hoping for a waterbirth this time!
February 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well, as I mentioned before, make sure you find out how often it is actually used, and if they will be ready to use it when you have your baby. I have heard stories of women finding out *at* their birth that it hasn't been used in years. Also, ask if they will start filling it when you get there, not after your intake. With me, it took 2 hours for the nurse to do my intake and in that time I flew through from 3cm to 9cm. They wouldn't even fill it at that point.

also ask if you will be able to get in even if your water has broken.

Do ask your midwife the same questions!
February 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
My hospital had a "soaking tub" in each room, but not a jacuzzi. Oh, what I wouldn't have done for a powerful jacuzzi jet against my lower back during contractions. That would have been soooooooo nice.

The hospital had a policy that you couldn't deliver in the tub. Honestly I don't think you could have even had you wanted to because it was deeper than a normal bathtub, but not any deeper. So the size could be an issue there too. But mostly I'd say it's a liability issue. And if they don't have waterproof efm, the hospital isn't going to like not being able to monitor the hr during pushes.

My midwife wouldn't check me in the tub. I always had to get out for internals. So I'd bet that's how they get you out. If you feel the urge to push, they probably have you get out and check to make sure you're complete and there's no cervical lip. And then they tell you to push without letting you get back in. That's my guess anyway.

Our hospital told us on the tour that you couldn't get in after your water was broken, but my midwives allowed their patients to be in. SO definitely double check anything they tell you with your midwife.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
February 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thank you for all the tips! I had no idea that they sometimes don't let you get in if you water's already broken! :/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search