How long did you labor at home (if you delivered at the hospital)?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM
sophie830's Avatar Sophie
I really would like to wait until the "last minute" before going to the hospital, just because I feel like everything always feels worse at the hospital ... how long did you wait before going to the hospital when you were in labor? I've read that you should head out when contractions are 3-4 minutes apart, but it seems labor lasts for quite awhile after that still? Thanks!

February 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
my labor started at 7pm. My water broke at 1am. Before that my contractions were about 7 minutes apart. After it broke they went to 3ish. I was getting back into the tub to hang out when my husband spoke to our doula and she said it was time to head in. We got there at 2, I was pushing by 4 and had her at 7am. Exactly 12 hours. That's pretty fast for a first time birth.
February 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
With my first I went in the hospital as soon as I got out of the doctor's office confirming my water had broken. I wasn't having contractions and ended up regretting going in that early.

With my second I delivered in a birth center but still labored at home for a while. I noticed the contractions at 4:30 a.m. or so and didn't arrive at the birth center until 8:40 a.m. He was born at 10:02 so it was a pretty quick labor.

February 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM
noworries
With my first, I went into the hospital as soon as I was having consistent contractions (which was pretty much right away when I realized I was having contractions....they woke me up). I labored in the hospital for about 9 hours. I am definitely going to try to labor at home until the last minute this time around because I will be much more comfortable laboring at home rather than the hospital.
February 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't say I "labored" at all at home... my water broke and I wasn't producing any contractions but went to the hospital after 3.5hrs
February 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
My water broke at 10:30pm (I was sporadically contracting on and off beforehand, but nothing consistent). After my water broke, contractions started coming full force. I labored until midnight, when they were really hurting pretty badly and they were between 2-3 minutes apart. At that point, I felt ready to go to the hospital. So I only labored for about an hour and a half at home.

Labor went super fast though. All in all, I was only in labor for 5.5 hours.
February 16th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My water broke around 1030pm. Contractions started around 1am and within an hour were under 3 minutes apart. Then they got to about 1 minute apart, lasting for 1 minute so we thought we should head in. That was at about 330am and we got into the hospital and checked by about 4am. I was 4.5cm then and fully dilated just after 7am. Lily was born at 751am.

So, we headed in after only a couple of hours of labor at home BUT my contractions had been on top of each other for almost all of labor so we thought I was further along then I was. I did progress really quickly though, especially for having my first baby.

February 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My water broke at home at 4am. Contractions started shortly after. I went to the hospital about 3 hours later maybe a little earlier. And Katelynn was born at 740am. I wasnt there very long lol. Luckily I left when I did.

February 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too wanted to labor at home for a while but I had pre-e so it wasnt too reasonable. Still, my ctrx started at like 445am and were 4-5 min apart & consistent from the start. I left for the hospital around 6am & was 5cm dilated when I got there. Lily was born at 12:42pm.

February 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I sort of "cheated" with mine and checked my own dilation...

but with my first, my MW came to my house and monitored my labor there until I felt I was ready to go to the hospital. I had been in labor around 9 hours when I went in and was there for about 5 hours or so before she was born. My second I was in labor 4.5 hours before I went to the birth center and she was born less than 2 hours after I got there.

But I really don't remember what the contraction patterns were when I went in...
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
February 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With the first one I was dumb and labored an hour and then did the "let's go to the hospital anyway" thing. Yeah, stupid. With the second, my water broke at 2 a.m. and I was at home long enough to change clothes twice, get someone to stay with my child and grab the bag so 1/2 hour tops and had her 1 1/2 hours later. So no time at all. My current midwife says "Oh, you'll make it to the hospital don't worry. Just come at the first onset of labor." Umm... yeah.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 17th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I waited until the last possible minute, but that's because when I called my midwife she kept saying that I sounded too calm to be THAT far along, thanks to Hypnobabies, LOL. My contractions were anywhere from right on top of each other to 3 minutes apart for about an hour and a half before I got to the hospital. I was complete when I got to the hospital, so that was really ideal. It worked out perfect, but I also had a REALLY slow moving labor! Otherwise, I would have ended up giving birth at home or in the car.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 17th, 2010, 06:57 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help because I was induced both times, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out when to go this time. This is all great info!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

February 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM
blue daisy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
about 10 hours total. Until I was in sooo much pain and the contractions turned into ONE non stop one for an hour!!! Our doula said get to the hospital, and thank God I did, I was 8 cms dilated!!!!!
February 18th, 2010, 06:19 AM
bigplantnerd
I labored at home from 5pm until 1am when my water broke, I think my contractions were about 3 min apart. I was complete at 6am and delivered at 9am. Yes I pushed forever!!!
February 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first my water broke at 12:45am got to the hospital around 8:15-8:30, DD was born 8:52am!! The nurse went to check me and freaked out because she said DD was at +4 station.

If the hospital was more NCB then it would have been perfect, but they were not so they yelled at me! But I guess who cares really!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
February 18th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I was dumb, too. I only "labored" at home for about 2-3 hours. But, then I went to the doula's house and "labored" there for around 12. I say "labored", because it was all pre-labor. Not active. We went into the hospital, and I was only 1cm. So, after about 3 hours there, we went to a hotel for the night. Then I went back to the hospital 24 hours after we went in the day before. That time, I was a 4, and I had Donovan 6 hours later. Active labor started about 12 hours before I gave birth.

Next time, I plan to homebirth. But if I do go to a hospital, I'll know better.

My Ovulation Chart
February 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
My water broke at 9:30 pm. We hung around the house all night waiting for the show to start but my contractions never got consistent. The next morning we showered, cleaned up, went to breakfast and I was admitted to L&D around noon.

February 19th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started timing my contractions around 6 pm. They reached 1 minute long, less than 5 minutes apart around 9 pm. I finally gave in to my husband and went to the hospital at 11:30 pm. So we labored at home for 5 1/2 hours.

When we arrived, I was 6 1/2 cm dilated. After 45 minutes of pushing, Max was born at 5 am.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search