Total Advice Needed... Birthing Center...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sooo...

Since there are no birth centers in like a 100 mile or more radius of where I live... a friend on Facebook had read one of my posts and totally thinks a birth center would be something needed in our area...

This is the kicker... she is a NICU nurse, I plan on specializing in L&D... I am sure we could get a couple more nurses in on this idea... I was also thinking of getting my doula, MW, or LC certificate (since I found a school in the area). She had mentioned how we could get a little house and turn it into a birthing center for the ladies who want a NCB... I never knew this friend was for NCB she is having troubles still almost 3-4yrs later with getting an epi as well and believes interventions are widley over used...

Am I crazy? I wouldn't even know where to start with trying to start up a birthing center but know I hope to have my RN license in the next 1-2 with hopefully getting my LC or doula certificate and/or MW...

Here is the school I found for traditional MW Study Traditional Midwifery I have already received a program booklet from them... I know this is a far fetched idea but if I could get enough nursing companions in on this idea it could work...
February 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there used to be a house in Des Moines, IA that was like that. 2 midwives, 2 nurses, 1 LC and 1 full time in house doula...they unfortunately didn't last very long even though they were literally minutes away from the hospital by foot - seconds by vehicle. I think it's a great idea, but I really think it's a risk too depending on what kind of area you live in. There are hospital based midwives in Des Moines and people went there because they felt "safer" and the hospital MW have a really low c-section rate (4%?) which was basically the same as the BC (3.3%)...I wanted to go to the BC and they were closed - even though it would've been a 2 hour drive vs 1 hour to my hospital midwife.

I definitely think it takes a lottt of marketing and the right tools, but if you can make it work I Think it's a great goal!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally know what your saying...

I know its a far fetched idea but I can research and dream.. lol...

I am such a huge advocate for NCB that I want to help other ladies who want NCB too.. thats why I want to do L&D and if there is a lady that wants NCB I could be her assigned nurse to help her with her goals... ya know?

I just never thought I would become such a HUGE advocate for NCB until after I went through labor and birth... I want to help other women achieve this since I feel like there wasn't alot of support towards me wanting NCB...

Thus why I want to do L&D, get my LC and possibly doula... there is just so much I want to do to help the cause that I may be getting ahead of myself
February 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
That is what our local birthing center was, and it was great! The lady only closed because she moved to a different building and it wasn't set up well for it. SO now she does only hospital births, but if she gets a different building she may reopen the BC. Go for it! I think you'll be fantastic!

February 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I think it's a great idea! Kudos to you for considering it!

Whether or not it will work probably depends on a few things, like state laws, your own liability insurance costs, possibly business district restrictions regarding where you want to be located, but most importantly - are there enough women in the area who would be interested in and come to you for births to keep your business running?

I definitely think it's worth looking into! Best wishes to you!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post
I think it's a great idea! Kudos to you for considering it!

Whether or not it will work probably depends on a few things, like state laws, your own liability insurance costs, possibly business district restrictions regarding where you want to be located, but most importantly - are there enough women in the area who would be interested in and come to you for births to keep your business running?

I definitely think it's worth looking into! Best wishes to you!

These are things I will need to research... I do have a friend that has a business degree and could get her to help me look up the info..... I do know there is a MW in the next county north of me that does homebirths... I could always get some info from her on how she does... IDK... just my mind running away with me... DH would be laughing at me right now because at one point I wanted to be a guppy breeder... LOL... so he knows how I have such big dreams but never know where to run with them...
February 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I think it's fantastic and if there's not much in your area I'm sure there would be folks who would be SUPER grateful for you to be there! It's all about if there's enough of them! The fact that there's a hb mw in the county over sure is encouraging! Sounds like it would be a great idea once it's up and running.

But I totally know what you mean about dreaming big. I've started several things with high hopes and then things just changed - not that I gave up, I just wanted different things in and out of life, and stopped whatever I was doing for whatever the next thing was. I know that was a confusing sentence! I kwym though.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a great idea. The birth center I went to (in Lansing) said they had women from all over the state come in because there are so few options in the state for birth centers. I think Greenhouse is one of the only ones. It is the same idea, they are in the middle of the city, but it looks like a house when you walk in, so you could easily use a house and convert it to a birth center. I think as you get closer to the time that you want to do this, you should talk to someone who has opened up a birth center. I think Clarice was the one who started the birth center and I'm sure she could give you some advice on where to get started: The Greenhouse Birth Center ~ Where families are born, gently.
If you are ever down this way (or up, I guess I have no idea where in the state you live) you should stop in for a tour. I'm sure they would love to talk to you and answer any questions you have.

Expecting baby #4!

February 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Melissa (mom of 3 J's) looked into opening a birth center, not sure how much she researched or what stopped her but she concluded it wasn't for her? I'll send her this way to explain it better herself.
February 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I think it's a great idea. The birth center I went to (in Lansing) said they had women from all over the state come in because there are so few options in the state for birth centers. I think Greenhouse is one of the only ones. It is the same idea, they are in the middle of the city, but it looks like a house when you walk in, so you could easily use a house and convert it to a birth center. I think as you get closer to the time that you want to do this, you should talk to someone who has opened up a birth center. I think Clarice was the one who started the birth center and I'm sure she could give you some advice on where to get started: The Greenhouse Birth Center ~ Where families are born, gently.
If you are ever down this way (or up, I guess I have no idea where in the state you live) you should stop in for a tour. I'm sure they would love to talk to you and answer any questions you have.
Oh wow... thanks so much that's awesome...

I will be doing much research but I am sure this is going to take years to get up and running... lol...
February 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
OH OH OH I'm here! Thank you Cheryl for directing me to this thread

Here is a helpful website I looked into:

birthcenter.org

I posted a thread not too long ago about opening a birth center and I got a lot of feedback from the ladies here that helped me continue with my research. Basically, we are on the fence about opening one. The malpractice insurance would be crazy high and that is one of the reasons we aren't 100% sure about it. I mean, I wouldn't be doing it to make a profit but I'm not thrilled about the idea of putting out more money than we would be bringing in, KWIM?

So just try to find as much info as you can about the area you live in. Which you already are lol. But sometimes there isn't a local BC for a reason, you know? I hope you are able to open one though! It sounds like you have a great game plan and a ton of support!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

February 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it would be a wonderful idea. But don't get your hopes up in case it doesn't pan out.

GL
February 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it would be a great idea! Running your business is definitely hard, but if you have a passion for it and do your research it can work out very well. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search