Pit after delivery?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I read somewhere on here (can't find it now) that someone mentioned that having pit during labor makes you more likely to bleed after labor, and then requiring pit after for hemorrhaging? Is that right? I really would like to avoid all pit this time around, even after, but I know my doc has given it to me both previous labors to stop the bleeding (and I was induced with pit both times).

Does anyone have any articles or info on necessity/non-necessity of use of pit after delivery?

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

February 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
That may have been me that said that. I had a lot of pitocin when I delivered my son because I had an epidural, and I lost a liter of blood after delivery. I am using midwives at a birth center now, and after I shared with them my fears of it happening again, they told me I probably bled so much because of the pitocin. My hospital records from my son's birth said I bled because of a "tired uterus" which was probably due to the crazy pitocin contractions. After I bled, I had to have more pitocin and IV with fluid for the rest of the day. It was really scary, a big reason why I want a natural childbirth this time. I don't have any articles for you though, sorry.
February 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I had a shot of pitocin after I had Cadie for bleeding. I told my current midwife about the bleeding and she said most OB's and nurse midwives tug on the placenta to make it come faster, causing the bleeding. She said lots of bleeding like that very rarely occurs when they truly let the placenta come on it's own.
February 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will look tonight for articles but I had a 1000ml bag of solution with Pitocin in it... they continued with giving me Pitocin until after I delivered and the bag was empty....
February 17th, 2010, 12:38 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I've had three pit inductions, and I don't remember EVER continuing the pit after delivery. I didn't have a problem with bleeding either, but actually the pit wasn't very effective for inducing me. (Meaning, more than once they induced me for a whole day and nothing happened, trying again the next day. Nothing happens for me until they break my water.)

Maybe it varies by state? To be quite honest, I've never heard of this!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 17th, 2010, 01:25 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have pit during my birthing time, but I was given it afterward. I was hemorrhaging like crazy and my uterus wasn't contracting at all.

February 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have pit during labor with either one, but was given it afterward. I didn't know about the tugging on the placenta until later so I am going to be adamant that no one does that this time around. I bled for 2 hours after my second birth and it was horrible. I was doing great avoiding the IV the whole time, but in the end I agreed to do it because nothing else was working to stop the bleeding. I don't know if it was pulled on or not. Since it was such a fast birth I may have bled on my own too. I also want to breastfeed immediately, but they took my baby away. If I only I knew with my first natural birth what I know even now.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

February 18th, 2010, 06:16 AM
bigplantnerd
After I had Donovan my placenta did not want to come out and my midwives tried everything, including 2 injections of pit to get me to contract. Nothing worked and Iended up in the hospital 5 hours postpartum for a catheter and manual extraction. So I guess I would allow it for heavy bleeding or retained placenta, but not just as a matter of course. For me it's all about using medications when actually needed, and in that case there is a need.
February 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had pit after delivery of baby and the placenta to get my uterus to contract and slow the bleeding and it worked good for me. The first couple of deliveries I didn't have pit afterward (or during) and bled for weeks. So for me, it worked really good and I will chose to have it again after this delivery.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search