New to Board..Hi!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies! My name is Jannell. I am 30 weeks with a surprise! I am interested in trying for a natural childbirth. I am just looking for tips or advice. None of my family are really supportive of me trying to go for a natural birth. Well my husband and my mother are but other women who have gone through childbirth do not believe I can do it. So it would be nice to meet some supportive women to talk about it. Thanks, everyone!! I hope to get to know you all!
February 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
danischmell's Avatar Regular
Hi! Welcome! I just found this board a couple weeks ago, but I've loved it so far. It's a great place to find support! Most of my friends think I'm crazy, lol. There's some great books, but what helped me the most is a class I took. It really got my husband on board and I got to meet some other women who were interested in what I wanted too. You're getting pretty close, so you probably wouldn't take the 12 week Bradley class I took, lol.. but I bet there's some great classes in your area that aren't as long.

Do you have an OB? Midwife? Are they supportive? Is where you are delivering supportive of a natural birth? I think those are the two biggest factors on whether you'll get the birth you want.

Natural birth is awesome, and anytime you want a big pep talk on 'you can do it!' or 'why its so good for you and the baby' you can find it here

February 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
noworries
Congrats and welcome. Have you done anything so far to prepare for a natural birth?
February 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi, welcome! I'm Cheryl, co-host here, mommy to Acadia who just turned 2, and I'm 20 weeks along with my second.

It does suck not to feel supported, but honestly, you can have all the moral support from your friends that you can handle, and not be successful. The strength and determination has to come from inside you. Glad to hear your husband and mom are on board though- the people very close to you are the important ones.

I recommend as much prep as you can possibly handle, but I am a pretty thorough prepper myself. The best place to start is with the "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth", "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and the Bradley Method book. Even if you do not officially choose the Bradley method, the information is fantastic and the husband chapter is crucial!

I also recommend staying active from now until you give birth. Anything that feels good to you that gets your heart rate up is good. Work on keeping your legs strong as well, and of course kegals are very important.

Do you have access to a natural birth specific class in your area?

Also yes, your hospital is a big part, even more sometimes than your doctor.What are their policies? If you are stuck on your back unable to walk the entire time, it could be extra challenging. Have you talked to your doc/midwife about this? Do you know if they will start trying to push interventions like induction when you hit 40 weeks or even earlier?

check out our subforum as well, lots of good info in there!
February 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome!!! I loved Hypnobabies and they have a home study course that takes about 5 weeks, of course you could rush it if you needed to. Here is a cool video that is on youtube about Hypnobabies.

YouTube - National Medical Report

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

Expecting baby #4!

February 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Hi and welcome!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and welcome!

You are most certainly not crazy. I think it's awesome that you're going the natural childbirth route.

I'm Veann, natural-birthing Mama to Lucius (2-13-09). We had our birth at a freestanding birth center attended by two midwives. We did not have any drugs or interventions. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I can't wait to do it again! I do intend to have homebirths in the future, though. Our birth story is up in the Birth Stories subforum.

February 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! you will get tons of support here!

I ditto Cheryl that the motivation has to come from within, but I'm so glad your mom and DH are on board. It makes it easier!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

February 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all ladies for making me feel so welcome! Well I am currently reading The thinking woman's guide to a better childbirth and ordered a couple more. I have tried to look for classes but a lot of them are either fairly long or a good amount of money which we don't really have. I have talked little to my doctor about the birth I want. I was supposed to have an appt. with my doctor in two weeks and was told she was booked so now I have an other appt. with my NP. I am sort of annoyed that I won't get to ask her questions until I am 34 weeks but what question do you all believe are important to ask her??
February 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
danischmell's Avatar Regular
i think the #1 question is probably how long she'll wait before she pushes you to induce.. i think that's generally what leads to everything else.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search