Just curious - WWYD?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What would you do if you were 34-35 weeks along and your amniotic fluid was leaking? Would you go to the hospital and allow yourself to be induced, even though it's too early, or would you monitor yourself for infection, etc and refuse to be induced until absolutely necessary?

With Grant, I went to the doc while I was leaking, and I was just barely leaking. After they did the test to see if it was fluid, then there was a gush. They induced me at 34w5d saying it was safer for baby to be out than in. This time, if the same thing were to happen, I think I would refuse to be induced until absolutely necessary, but I would think the chances of a c-section would be much higher in that case. I was thinking about this during mass and I don't know what I would do if the same thing happened this time around.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

February 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Personally, every time my water has been broken I've had a baby within 2 hours. So, with me, I'd absolutely go in.

While I don't think most moms would need to rush in (like I would), I do think it's a good idea to go in pretty soon. I don't think the risk is as high as they act like it is, and I don't think the time frame is as close as they say it is, and the risk is certainly lower with fewer exams. BUT, that doesn't mean there isn't ANY risk. If your water is truly leaking, then you aren't DAYS away from baby you are HOURS - because of those risks. It might be more than 24 like the docs like to say, but like you said, the longer you wait the more they'll want to do a c-sec.

If it was me and I didn't have the past I know I have, I'd guage it by time. If it was right before bed and I needed a good rest, I'd make sure bags were ready, hubby was off work (he works nights), take a towel with me and go to bed. Maybe just position change will cause a gush, and with that I think a few hours is a good time to go if you aren't contracting.

In either case, if you start contracting regularly, you should go!

Hadn't ever really thought through that scenario, since I know how mine have worked thus far, but at least this is what I think I think. 2c

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
you mean leaking right. not broken?

I'm not totally sure what I would do, honestly.
February 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm not sure what I would do either. I know when I was pregnant with Emory the midwives said they would want you to come in if your water was broken and then they would give you some tools to monitor yourself for up to 48 hours to make sure there were no infections. If I were just leaking I think I may wait and stay really hydrated....not totally sure though. That's a really tough one!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's a tough one. If you know your doctor is not on board with keeping the baby in, then it would be a hard decision to make. You need to be sure your fluid levels don't get too low, so you really should be monitored closely. At home, you can take your temp to be sure there isn't an infection, but I'm not sure if you can feel if your fluid is low on your own or not? If you had a midwife, she would mostly likely do the above and try to keep the baby in as long as possible.

February 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Christine ~ View Post
monitor yourself for infection, etc and refuse to be induced until absolutely necessary?
Yes, that. And I wouldn't tell the OB/hospital either.

February 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
just my experience but that happened with my second. Water started leaking monday morning, went and got checked Monday night but they forgot to do the strip test until after the exam. She could still feel the membrane over her head, so it hadn't broken, just leaked. Labor didn't start until Wednesday morning and no complications...

I think I would wait a little while. Small leaks can sometimes reseal from what I've heard. I'd just keep a close watch on your temp for signs of infection

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; February 17th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
February 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM
lilflower
I'd wait it out
February 17th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My friend leaked for 6 weeks Her baby had medical problems so he NEEDED to stay in to survive. The just watched her fluid really closely. A girl in my DDC has been leaking at least since christmas. I don't think it's a big deal - but I think you do need to monitor fluid levels and infection - so I would want someone caring for me that was ok with only messing around if an actual problem developed. (why is this concept so hard for doctors??? - like yes - thing A could cause a problem - so lets watch closely for said problem - instead of ZOMG baby out now induce induce! - IDK)

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
February 18th, 2010, 04:27 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would wait.

Here is an interesting article about premature rupture.

'Miracle baby' born at Wilford Hall | US Air Force Press Releases Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search