Horrible video!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I don't think I can show this video on here with many moms and pregnant women who would just not want to see it, unless anyone is curious and asks for me to post it, but I will never watch it again. But I saw it last night and sobbed my eyes out!! Its a video of a nurse giving a brand new baby a bath in the hospital. I have NEVER seen such abuse and of a little baby in all my life! I just cried and cried for that little baby. The nurse treated her like a piece of meat, scrubbing and holding her with one hand, not gentle at all and while the baby screamed she would stick its whole head and face under the faucet as you heard it gurgle in the water. Then she dried the baby in a towel rough and nothing about the bath was gentle or soothing. Thankfully when my babies have had their baths DH has always been with them and the video always shows a gentle bath. It just broke my heart! Makes me never want them to ever have my baby without me around EVER! And makes me think of how I didn't see my second daughter for 3 hours after the birth! It still makes me upset and as she lay peacefully and pink and healthy on my chest- breathing FINE but not crying- they shove the suction down her throat and took her away. Ugh! I HATE hospitals!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

March 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is so sad I couldn't watch it, I try not to choose to watch things that I know will make me upset.

I really dislike hospitals too, I refuse to have another baby in one unless I have to. They take all of the control out of your birth, and that is not the way it should be. My birth center never took Anna from me, and for a bath, they drew us a big herbal bath after they cleaned out the tub for her and I.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
March 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
oh I've SEEN that one! So awful

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 9th, 2010, 08:28 AM
frugality=reality
Oh my gosh!

I gave my son his first bath since he was born at a birth center. My second and third were bathed with me in the room-nothing like what you describe! And my first was taken out... and now I'm very afraid of what they did to her! (especially considering the stupid hooker was giving her a bottle of formula despite me INSISTING she not take her yet because she was going to need to nurse soon and she did it anyway with me telling her NOT to give a paci or a bottle-she ruined her virgin gut when she was just a day old )
March 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Ugh! That's horrible!! I don't want to watch it, but I believe it definitely happens that way. One of the biggest things on my birth plan is that Caleb will NOT leave my room for ANY reason (unless something were severely wrong and needed medical attention, then of course). I hope that my birthing center lets me bath him myself, too. I would love that!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM
noworries
My daughter was bathed in the room with me with my husband right there and the nurse was very gentle (but she is just an awesome nurse, she was very supportive of my choice of NCB and she was also the nurse the came to take Eli when we were leaving the hospital and she is just so compassionate and gentle). With this next baby, I am not going to let them bathe the baby, either DH or I will do it after spending some time with baby first.
March 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
reason #257214687622164 I didn't let them take Cadie from the room at all when we had her. I didn't want her bathed but she did wipe her down a bit about an hour and a half after she was born, and I let her wash her feet to get the ink off. That was the only time I felt they were annoyed with my pickiness was about the bath. Otherwise they were really great about us declining everything. That was one of the reasons I chose that small hospital.
March 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've seen that video. If I ever had a hospital birth in the future, Daddy would stay with the baby at all times.

Lucius got his first bath at home a few weeks after his birth. The midwives wiped him down at the birth center, but they were very gentle with him of course.

March 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds just horrible! Since Ben was born at home my midwife just gently wiped him down...he didn't get a bath until his cord fell off a week later. I had my oldest in the hospital and I honestly don't remember him getting a bath there, just a gentle wipe down.
March 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that sounds awful We had an amazing nurse and she bathed Brylie right next to my bed and Sam helped her. Brylie hated the bath, but Dana (my nurse) was so gentle. SHe was the best nurse I could've asked for though I didn't want to give Brylie her first bath, but generally the hospital policy is that parents do bathing

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM
My daughter was born at home and since babies don't need a bath for a few weeks she didn't get one.

This is another reason why I'd never have a baby in a hospital unless I absolutely had to and even then I'd insist on either my husband or myself being with baby at all times.
March 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Wow yea I wouldnt want to watch that either how horrible. At the hospital where I had both kids they do not even have a nursery. Everything is done in the moms room. They were so gentle with both and I was right there next to them.

March 9th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I've seen that one as well.

The hospital I had Lily at has a room-in only policy. The only time baby can go to the nursery is if they need bili lights and things like that. So, Lily was with us the whole time. DH gave her the first bath with a great nurse just kind of guiding him along.

March 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
That's awful. The hospital where I had DS kept trying to take him from us for one thing or another and acted really annoyed when we insisted on going with him. The one nurse was a real witch when we said we wanted to give his first bath ourselves, she kept stopping me (because I didn't do it her way I guess) and saying that he was going to "freeze to death" if I didn't hurry up. Then they made us leave him under the warmer for a half hour after, while we stood there waiting. Makes me wonder what they would've done if we hadn't been there. I will never have another hospital birth if I can help it.

March 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How terrible! We were pretty lucky in the fact that our local hospital and OB's are very supportive of NCB. Max only left the room once and Dh went with him. I allowed the nurse to give Max a bath as DH was exhausted and I couldn't stand long enough. But she did it right next to my bed so I could watch. She was very gentle and talked in a nice voice to Max as she bathed him, telling me what she was doing all along.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

March 9th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, the hospital where I delivered my first was horrible! Course I didn't know anything then and had an epi. I hated that she wouldn't sleep unless I was holding her so to get some rest I would hold her and we would fall asleep. The nurse would come in and take her from me and she would then cry and I would wake up and get her again. I had rude nurses, they were not natural friendly, etc. However, they didn't separate us at all if we didn't want it.

The second hospital was much more natural friendly. As far as the birth goes they were very respectful and everything else about the postpartum recovery was wonderful, except that they took her away for 4 hours!!

I can't afford a birth center, the closest home birth midwives are an hour away and with my quick birth I don't feel good about it. So I am choosing a hospital, but a smaller one. I talked with my midwife today about a few concerns and the baby leaving the room was one of them. She said the baby never leaves the room, they put the baby on the chest, they will wait to cut the cord and she says after they weigh and measure she has been impressed that they ask every mom, whether she has asked or not, if they would like skin to skin with their baby the rest of the time. So I think I may be feeling a little better about this hospital.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

March 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
erinelizabeth83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! that sounds horrible! I'm so glad DH when with my son when he had his bath. I can't imagine putting a newborn through such abuse!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search