What are your reasons for NCB?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Why have you decided against doing what everyone else is doing and having a NCB? Have your reasons changed over time?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always grew up with the idea of natural child birth. My mom was big into Bradley so when I got pregnant with DD she really encouraged me to take those classes. She was also my labor coach with my DD.

After I had my DD natural it was so empowering! This time around I am learning even more about NCB and other things that go along with a more natural approach to life.

So I guess me reasons haven't changed really, they have just got more personal.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
March 9th, 2010, 10:18 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't know I was going against so many people until my friends started having babies (before me) and I started looking into it. I never considered anything but a ncb to be an option though.

my reasons haven't really changed, but they were validated with Brylie's birth. I know my induction was necessary, but I Never want to be in that situation again. I never want to be hooked up to the pitocin and I never want to be 40 seconds away from thinking I need stadol again. I never want any of it. I also pretty much am 100% sure if I would've had any pain meds I would've had a c-section, so ya my feelings just definitely got confirmed!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; March 9th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
March 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
At first I felt it would be the healthiest and least stressful option for me and my baby. That's why I wanted one with DS (didn't happen though).
This time it's for the same reasons and more. I'm determined to have this experience to validate to myself that I *can* do it, as well as to have myself and our baby's birth be respected and supported by people who realize how important the whole process it is to me. I think there is something empowering about allowing your body to do what nature intended without outside interference. Plus I'm the kind of person who always seems to go against what "everyone else" is doing. I just like being contrary I guess.

March 9th, 2010, 10:55 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With David I was more go with the flow and what happens at that moment happens. With Katelynn I was relaxed and never really thought I would have a NCB but she had other plans and I would not change a thing! I love my birth with her. I loved how amazing I felt afterwards. I love how strong I felt. I would not want it any other way now. I am very excited about having another child for the whole experience!

March 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
There are a few. When I was pregnant with Walter, I was not super natural minded and I just didn't want the pain, I was 100% ok with the epidural. I wasn't sure I would breastfeed, and I expected that I would be more of a traditional parent. As soon as he was born, everything changed. We still nurse, I cloth diapered, we don't vax, and we try and we make a lot of natural choices every day. So now that I'm pregnant again, it just seemed like the natural thing to do. I view medication during childbirth much like vaccines, I worry about the long term, unknown effects. If I don't vaccinate my children, then why pump their bodies full of epidural medication at birth?

The second reason is that I lost a liter of blood after I had my son. It turns out it was likely due to the fact that I had so much pitocin, which made my uterus so tired. I had the pitocin because I had the epidural and my labor slowed. The blood loss was very scary and I'd like to avoid that this time, so I'm hoping no epi and pit can help.
March 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm the first of my friends to have kids and I just always thought I'd do it with no meds, etc. After having a great NCB with Lily in a hospital I knew I really wanted a home birth for the next baby because I have full faith in myself and my body now.

All my friends from Lily's playgroup had cascades of interventions and after talking to them and seeing how many ended up with c-sections it just cements my belief in an NCB being the healthiest and safest form of birth in *most* cases.

March 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
For me, it's just that I never, and I do mean NEVER, do anything in life without first researching the heck out of it, lol!

The reason I am going to chose NCB is because I am currently in my OB rotation in nursing school, and I was just blown away after seeing all the interventions that I personally thought weren't always necessary. Then I saw the movie "The Business of Being Born" (I recommend it to everyone now), and after seeing that movie, I have just done nonstop research on NBC as well as Cons to all the medical interventions.

It's amazing what kind of world and things you can discover when you have an open mind, and I have an extremely open mind, some say to a fault
March 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
It never really occurred to me to birth any other way. Even as a teenager, when some of my friends were having kids, I was the "coach" and the weird one saying don't get an epidural. The more knowledge and experience I got, the more strongly I felt. When I was pregnant with my first, I knew I wanted to go natural, but I still didn't have alot of knowledge to back it. We took a childbirth class and not only did I feel as strongly as ever about having things as natural as possible, but so did my DH.

The cascade has definitely happened with me even with as strongly as I feel, and that is why we are having a homebirth this time.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My first birth wasn't what I expected or wanted. I grew up in a large family where my mom had many complications- all due to hospital or doctor stupidity- and bad epidurals. I was just told that labor hurts so bad you would never do it without pain meds. But after the first one felt medicalized and not personal I just thought I bet I could handle it. I started to research it and wanted to see if I could actually do it. Face the fear. I have a very real fear of the ocean and sharks. I don't live near the ocean and will not in my lifetime ever swim with the sharks. But the fear of childbirth and having kids is something I knew was real and I wanted to face it. Conquer one of the things that made me feel vulnerable and scared. Its true that I just felt empowered by doing it natural.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

March 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS555 View Post
For me, it's just that I never, and I do mean NEVER, do anything in life without first researching the heck out of it, lol!
Ditto this.

I don't want to be drugged or for my baby to be drugged during our first opportunity to bond with my child. I know this can interfere with breastfeeding.

I don't want to have an unnecessary C-section, a procedure that can scar me, make it difficult to care for my child for the next 6 weeks, and make me more likely to have PPD.

I don't want to take an unnecessary risk with the epidural.

I want the feeling of euphoria that NCB moms talk about when they finally did it.

I want to do what my body was made to do!

March 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose a natural childbirth for many reasons (possibly ALL of them, for that matter). I do not believe that most doctors have mine or my baby's best interest or our health in mind. I want to avoid a C-Section unless absolutely necessary and I do believe that the medications cause a spiral that necessitates a Cesarean. I think that hospitals are places for the sick and injured and childbirth is neither a sickness nor an injury. I figure that after ten months of watching what I eat/ drink/ medications I take and cutting so much out of my diet for my child's health (food coloring, MSG, phosphates, take as little asthma medication as I can survive with, alcohol, etc.) it just doesn't make sense to pump my baby full of drugs right when we're at the end and they are about to be born, especially since I can choose not to get those drugs administered to me and by extension, my baby. I worry about adverse effects of pain and induction medications for me and even more so, baby. I know that nerve blocks affect me for extreme extended amounts of time (three days for the nerve block to wear off when I had a knee surgery). I don't want my baby taken away from me or risk having any procedure done that I wouldn't want done (circumcision, first bath, formula feeding, vitamin K shot, eye ointment, etc.). I don't want to be held to any ridiculous hospital or doctor policies. I don't want a clock to start counting down the moment I hit forty weeks gestation, as it is possible I will carry significantly longer (forty-two weeks plus three with my son). I don't want a clock to start counting down when my water breaks (possibly took two and a half days after water broke for my son to be born). I am an incredibly tough person and knew I could give birth to my baby without the help of drugs. Drugs and interventions have a time and place in childbirth, but I am going to do my part to try and keep away from needing them for every bit of pregnancy/ childbirth that is in my power.

(That was at least six cents. )

Last edited by cheezpoofs; March 10th, 2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added Something

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search