How does your LO do with grooming/hygiene?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Do they cooperate? Fuss? Totally resist? Any tips on how you make it work if you have success?
March 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For Mia, bath was never a problem she always loved it, it was the hair that was (and sometimes still is) an issue. She was born with tons of hair and always had long thick hair. Ripe for tangles. Basically, I would just sit her down and brush it anyway despite her protests. As she got older, I told her that if she didn't let me brush it, we were just going to get it all cut off. That usually worked. I think it's something they grow out of so you just get through it and look forward to when they are 12 and won't STOP showering and doing their hair!

March 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
bathing is easy for cadie, she also loves it. She hates having her nails cut and even resists in her sleep! it's too funny. I was recently struggling big time with brushing her teeth but I now use a little cloth and wipe her teeth and for some reason she is OK with that. I do it really fast.

and I can usually get her hair in pigtails pretty easily.

How do you all deal with ear cleaning?
March 9th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH gives Lily her baths (unless she showers with me) and he cleans her ears. He just wipes with a cloth in her ear area and that seems to keep it clean. She will let us brush her teeth with a toothbrush as long as we sing the ABCs. Usually, we can only sing 2x and then she's done, but she'll brush a bit more on her own. I figure that is good enough.

As for her hair, she will bring her hairbrush to me every morning and sit while I put it in a ponytail or pigtails. She loves having her hair done, even though she ends up pulling it out halfway through the day still. Oh, and she likes getting her nails cut now. She used to hate it and then one day she was fine with it.

March 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told off by the pediatrician for using qtips to clean her ears. They just get a swipe with the washcloth during the bath, or I use the showerhead when washing her hair in the shower. If they get particularly oogy, I put a couple of drops of baby oil (warmed up) into them. That takes care of that.

For her nails, she hated it when little, so I used to file them instead of cutting them. Then I'd let her file mine, like playing manicure. Worked wonderfully.

March 10th, 2010, 07:16 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I never have a problem with grooming. Lily has an aversion to being dirty. She loves bath nights and is always asking to have her teeth brushed. I think it helps that we let her brush first and then we go back and touch up. As for nails, she comes to me and tells me that her fingernail is broken. Never any fuss!
March 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Bath time is usually easy, but he hates having the shampoo rinsed out. He won't let me lean him back anymore (so I can our water over him w/o going in his face) so now I save shampooing till last and just get it over with really quickly.

Brushing teeth is a real issue for us right now. At first he was excited and would let us do it and even help. But now he bites down on the brush and it's hard to get it around even once, forget letting him do it on his own. I tried using a cloth and a finger brush but with those he bites me (hard too!) and that's why I switched to a brush. Nails - I just wait until he's asleep. So much easier and no opportunity to fuss!

ETA - for ear cleaning I just wipe the opening gently with a warm wet cloth in the tub. He hates the qtips so this is easier. It seems to work pretty well still.

Last edited by oriel13; March 10th, 2010 at 08:06 AM.
March 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucius loves baths until I pour water on his head. Then he cries and tries to get out of the bath. I basically just use calming words and manpower to finish the bath with him. He also LOVES having his hair brushed. We've never brushed his teeth yet, but I can't imagine he'll be easy about that since he really doesn't like or let me feel around in his mouth. He HATES having his nails clipped. I generally fight and use manpower to clip them but it really works best if I do it while he's napping. He is off and on with diaper changes: sometimes he flips out and sometimes he is calm and easy. I almost always hand him something to hold while I do diaper changes so he has something to focus on and also to keep his hands busy so that he doesn't try to grab "that toy down there". He likes holding and looking at a Baby Leg or a diaper while I change him. Of course, I often have to employ wrestling to get him changed without getting poop all over the place...

Edited to add: Lucius likes having his ears cleaned out with a baby Q-Tip. He lets me do it without struggling or fussing.

Last edited by cheezpoofs; March 10th, 2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added Something

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search