Are there risks being pregnant from 40-42 weeks gestation?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
So I want to be open to going up until 42 weeks, if that's what it comes to. Although to be honest, the idea of going past 41 weeks makes me really nervous. I'm not sure why 41 weeks and not 42. Can some of you point me to some good resources that discuss the risks of going to 41 or 42 weeks? Is there really any difference?

I know I should think positively, I just don't have a strong feeling that labor is around the corner.
March 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no advice on any resources, but I wanted to share that I had NO feeling that labor was going to start with my DD. We actually had some family over and upon leaving my cousin told me to call when I went into labor. I totally blew her off thinking that it would be days/weeks until DD was born. Well my water broke a few hours later and then she was born 12 hours after my cousin left! She was born 2 days after my EDD.

Did you ever purchase that "Baby come out" MP3?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
March 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I did buy the track last night. I listened to it once then, and I'll listen again tonight.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
March 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I went 16 days over with my 2 year old. I went 11 days over with Arei. Both are more than perfect.

There are MINIMAL (at worst) risks associated with going to 42 weeks gestation. Most babies come right around the 41 week mark, but some take a little longer to cook. Some come right at 38 or 39 weeks. Every baby is different and so is every mommy's body. All you can do is relax, get ready and wait it out. If you really feel uncomfortable after 41 weeks, I am sure you could get your OB or midwife to do a quick ultrasound to make sure all is well in there. Besides, I TRULY believe if you listen to yourself, you'll know if something isn't right. I hope labor comes soon for you.

March 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hhhm...I'm not sure of any exact links, but there are all sorts of NCB sites linked in the subforum.

I don't think you are going to go to 42 weeks, but other than the placenta possibly starting to crap out, I don't know of any other risks off the top of my head.

I have faith in the track. How about having someone give you a nice long foot massage? You just need to find the best spots on the foot for starting labor. I don't know those either, but I should.
March 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Cheryl. I think it's just the placenta issues after 42 weeks.

I went 41 weeks 1 day with Levi and had absolutely no signs until it happened. I thought I was going to be pregnant forever at the end . I got soooo sick of people asking if I was in labor every time I called. Or random people looking at me like I was going to give birth at any moment. Hang in there! Sam will be here soon. Try to keep busy to pass the time.

March 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh and here's Gloria Lemay's blog on 42 weeks and past (you have to scroll down a bit). I just love her!

Gloria Lemay Holistic midwifery & doula education

March 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks. I feel bad posting about it, I know it's perfectly normal and that a lot of people go to 42 weeks.

With my son, I was miserable in the end... feeling flu-ish and swollen and cranky and achy. I thought he had to be coming any day because of how crappy I felt. Since I feel pretty good this time around, I feel like labor is not in my future anytime soon until I start feeling as sickly as I did with my son before labor.

My husband swears it's because I'm doing Hypnobabies this time. He thinks it's the positive affirmations I listen to, which could be it. Sort of like how Hypnobabies talks about women in other countries working in the fields until they go into labor, having a baby, and then going back to work.

I think my biggest fear is this. The midwives think I may have cracked my pelvis when I had my son. He had a huge head- 95th%. It looks like this one will too (head measured 40 weeks at 37 week ultrasound, but I know scans are off). I'm scared of it being re-cracked or broken. I know it makes absolutely NO sense that a head would grow in a matter of a week or two. Especially since someone on one of these boards got induced at 39 weeks because of a suspected big head and I laughed it off, like... how much could a head grow in a week. But now that I'm in the position, it's hard not to let the fear get to me, and I worry about it.

I've also heard things like fluid levels going down, cord problems, and placenta problems, but I think those all increase at 42 weeks. I think I'm most worried about the head getting bigger, but deep down inside I know better.
March 9th, 2010, 03:01 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any links, but I went 12 days after my due date and dd was fine. I also felt pretty great and had no indications that labor was coming until it did.

March 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
you have no reason for feeling bad about posting this Kristen!
March 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any articles only the experience of a friend. She was older and had had 3 NCB before and none of them were past 40 weeks. When her 4th came along she was hitting 40 weeks. All of our friends- who don't do NCB and don't understand it- were angry and mad that her midwife didn't induce her with her older age. They made fun of the fact that she was doing jumping jacks backwards, etc. I was so impressed with her trying to be calm about it and just feeling that it wasn't time yet. She made it to 42 weeks and when she had her little guy in about 4-5 hours he weighed only 7 lbs even! Had she been induced the 2 weeks before he would have only been 5 lbs. She knows her dates weren't off either. I feel that as long as you are doing kick counts and are making sure everything is okay, going past 41 weeks and even into 42 isn't always risky. Here's hoping that you go into labor really soon!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

March 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
danischmell's Avatar Regular
If it make you feel any better I just read that most babies size levels off around 40 weeks. So chances are the head won't get any bigger.

March 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
big hugs hun, baby will be okay, and won't be in there forever!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I thought of another point- at the birth center and in the tub, you will have so much more freedom to move around as you feel the need, you will have a lot more space and ability to open your pelvis, instead of laying in bed.
March 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I know what you mean about being sort of one minded about the head. My "hangup"(not saying that in a negative way) wasn't about the head size but about tearing. I knew they wouldn't perform an episiotomy at the birth center unless I asked or it was needed. However with two previous pregnancies both with episiotomies I couldn't get it out of my mind. I swear the last couple of days I read and reread the positive birth stories in my books and sort of tried to relax about it. If I tore, I tore! In labor I still focused on it probably a bit too much(and I did end up tearing ) but it is important to come to terms with the idea of whatever it is that is bothering you.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

March 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Babies' growth drastically level off in the last weeks. I knew this academically, but was hard pressed to believe it. Then along came my 7 lb. 11 oz, 50th % head baby at 42 weeks exactly. I also had no signs of labor AT ALL until I was in it.

Just hang in there.

March 10th, 2010, 04:50 AM
bigplantnerd
I went to 41 w 5 d with Donovan. We finally did castor oil to avoid risking out of a birth center birth at 42 weeks. I also had no signs of labor until it started, so hang in there! D was 8lb 4oz so right on average size too.
March 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son Reid was born at 42w3d. We did a sono at 42 weeks to check fluid levels, placenta function and overall growth and he was doing great. His birth was so much easier than my first baby was not in a great position for birth but was 2.5lbs and 6 inches shorter! I really thought I was going to end up needing to go to the hospital for an induction (we had a home birth) but one night my water finally broke and he was born after a quick and pretty painless 12 hour labor.

No fears are silly in childbirth. My midwife said that sometimes your body can stall in labor if you have unresolved issues about the birth. So, I think it's great that you can vocalize what you are afraid of and look for support. I know it seems like it will never happen but it will and you will have a fabulous birth!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search