I get 6 weeks paid maternity leave for vaginal delivery or 8 for a c/s!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm shocked. It's like my company is trying to encourage me to get a c/s. Ugh.

March 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got only 5weeks of short term disability!!!

I had to collect under DISABILITY!!! Since when did birth become a disability!!!

I took 11 weeks off... I went 6 weeks without pay... BUT it was well worth it!
March 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the main reason behind it is because a c-section has a much longer recovery period than a vaginal birth. I don't think they are trying to encourage anyone to have a c-section, just trying to be fair to those that do, so they have time to recover fully

Expecting baby #4!

March 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Andi - I don't think you'd enjoy the 8 weeks after a c-section, nearly as much as you'll enjoy the 6 weeks after a vaginal birth!

My company doesn't give anything paid either...you have to collect under short term disability. DF gets 6 weeks paid paternity leave!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
March 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Super Mommy
thats not really a company rule...thats what doctors recommend. My teaching job whether I had a vb or section I had to use my sick time then take time unpaid. It was my first year so I only had 20 sick days and I had about 9wks off...2wks before birth then 7after. They wouldn't even let me use disability...birth doesn't fall under that category in the district...it has to be illness or injury....and of course the fact that i had a stillbirth didn't qualify me...no...no mental injury there!! no note my doctors wrote could get me more pay. It sucked. The U.S. in general has pretty crappy maternity leave coverage.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

March 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine is actually qualified as short-term disability as well. Hmmm .... I wonder if I can bribe my OB to say that I had a c/s. It's definitely not worth it to have a c/s, but I guess that will be my consolation prize if I end up having to have one.

March 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree - 6 weeks and a vaginal birth is the better deal.

March 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had to use my short term disability and only got 4 weeks paid after my doc wrote me out for 6 weeks. The insurance company had a two week waiting period or some load of crap that they wouldn't pay. I guess they were thinking I would have paid vacation, but my job was commission only so no such thing as paid vacation. My company also held my commission checks for the 12 weeks I was out so they could guarantee that I would return to work. I hate that working women in the US essentially get punished for having a child.
March 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
In Canada you get a year- and you get family allowance every month. It's not a lot, but it's something!

People in the US love to make fun of Canada, but they take care of their people.
March 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_n_JsMommy View Post
thats not really a company rule...thats what doctors recommend. My teaching job whether I had a vb or section I had to use my sick time then take time unpaid. It was my first year so I only had 20 sick days and I had about 9wks off...2wks before birth then 7after. They wouldn't even let me use disability...birth doesn't fall under that category in the district...it has to be illness or injury....and of course the fact that i had a stillbirth didn't qualify me...no...no mental injury there!! no note my doctors wrote could get me more pay. It sucked. The U.S. in general has pretty crappy maternity leave coverage.
I ended up going back to work 8 days after Noah's birth. I wasn't even allowed to take the entire 6 weeks because my baby didn't come home. Needless to say...I worked for about 3 or 4 days then quit. I was pissed.
March 11th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Super Mommy
yeah and to top it all off I already knew I wasn't being "renewed" as a teacher in that district because of budget cuts....then in May, to add insult to injury, when I came back they went and told me they were letting me go "for cause" and I had to resign or they would put that in my file. I missed an entire Marking Period. None of my observations displayed any serious problems and I had no clue I was doing anythng "wrong".

Thank goodness now I'm working at my alma mater and love it. I'm doing Admissions and teaching part time and its awesome. Plus baby will be born just around Finals, so I won't actually need to worry about Maternity LEave this time. yay!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

March 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree Cheryl, I'm really jealous of the maternity leave they give women in Canada!

Expecting baby #4!

March 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also have to collect under disability. Which I have been on since November. We used to have paid maternity leave and they nixed it for some reason.
March 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
The reason you collect disability is because most doctors will not medically clear you to return to work, therefore making you medically disabled in regards to working. Major surgery requires a longer recovery. It's completely the insurance company, not your company, and 6 weeks vag 8 weeks cs is industry standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilflower View Post
I ended up going back to work 8 days after Noah's birth. I wasn't even allowed to take the entire 6 weeks because my baby didn't come home. Needless to say...I worked for about 3 or 4 days then quit. I was pissed.
Who said you "weren't allowed?" Medically, you should not have been forced to return and your doctor should have confirmed that. The reason we collect disability is because we're recovering from birth, not because of the baby we're taking care of.
March 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Veteran
I got 8 weeks paid for my 1st birth since it was a c-section. I was then able to take 2 weeks vacation and then take my 12 weeks unpaid FMLA.

My first doctor would have gladly scheduled a repeat c-section (most of the women I work with had c-sections and ALL scheduled them the 2nd time).

But I decided to go vaginal the 2nd time. Then I found out I couldn't take that 2 weeks of vacation in between STD and FMLA so that would knock an entire month off my maternity leave.

I still went vaginal. My recovery was so much easier that it totally made it worth it.

March 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
carolinagirl05's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking here- but I had an emergency C-section and my OB wrote me out for 8 weeks of maternity leave because of the extended recovery time. However, my company ONLY paid me for 6, stating that I did not qualify for an extra 2 weeks, regardless of the fact that I had a c-section and my OB declared me "medically disabled" for a total of 8 weeks. My OB did NOT want me going back because I was a retail pharmacy manager and spend ALL DAY on my feet bending over, standing up, lifting heavy objects, etc.... and my company did not let me know that they were not paying me for the last 2 weeks until the middle of the 8th week!

Thanks KimberlyD0 and Claire1979 for my LOVELY siggies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search