This is just upsetting!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This was just on the news where I live and it pi$$e$ me off!!!

Restaurant Tells Mom: Move Breastfeeding To Bathroom - Video - WNEM Saginaw

I am so upset... my mom even said its not right!?!? Ummm... obvious she never breastfed, but I have whipped a fun bag out in public a couple times so far and will do it again!!!

I am from now on boycotting Buffalo Wild Wings here!!!
March 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
frugality=reality
UGH!

I was told once in a Mc D's when my now-10-year-old was just a few weeks old to move it to the toilet (from a customer). I looked him square in the face and told him that when he took his Big Mac and fries to the john to eat, then I'd consider taking my child to the john to eat. He got up and moved. Jerk.

I freaking hate that people think it's okay to tell women their children should EAT where people ****! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And her baby is too freaking CUTE!

I hope they pass that bill, too!!!
March 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM
lilflower
It is upsetting. I'm glad that the company corrected the manager.
March 11th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I would have so told them off! I usually use a nursing cover but that's for my own self preservation. I'm extremely shy when it comes to my body but that really ticks me off that they would tell a woman to go to the bathroom! What jerks people are!!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have sound on this computer, so I can't really watch it, but I think I get the jist. Did it happen at the BWW in Saginaw?

Expecting baby #4!

March 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Super Mommy
That is upsetting. I feel like saying "Okay, then you take your meal to the restroom too!"

I frequent another board that is very pro-NCB and pro-breastfeeding and they have actually organized and advertised nurse-ins at certain locations and chains that have not been so nice to nursing moms. Its great! Any way we could do something like that here or even any interest? (i'll participate after June when I have a baby to nurse!)
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

March 11th, 2010, 06:37 AM
frugality=reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I don't have sound on this computer, so I can't really watch it, but I think I get the jist. Did it happen at the BWW in Saginaw?

It was in Flint.
March 11th, 2010, 07:42 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm glad the company isn't defending the manager's actions, but that is still annoying that it happened. My DH works part time as a restaurant manager and he would never approach a nursing customer and ask them to stop. Not only is it completely rude to suggest that a woman sit on a dirty toilet to feed her child, but it's also bad for business to alienate a customer like that.
March 11th, 2010, 08:18 AM
noworries
I would have flat out refused. That is ridiculous.
March 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I would have refused as well. Im glad that the company is not defending the actions of that manager and that the manager went against company policy and it was not company policy.

March 11th, 2010, 10:35 AM
This stuff really aggravates me! I breastfed both of my daughters until they were almost 2. I always kept myself properly covered if I needed to nurse in public. Teenage girls are walking around every day exposing more flesh than what anyone ever saw of my body while nursing!
March 11th, 2010, 10:38 AM
frugality=reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleGirl View Post
This stuff really aggravates me! I breastfed both of my daughters until they were almost 2. I always kept myself properly covered if I needed to nurse in public. Teenage girls are walking around every day exposing more flesh than what anyone ever saw of my body while nursing!

That's what gets me... guys DROOL over scantily dressed women, but heaven forbid a woman should *gasp* feed her child with those breasts!

It's horrifying that the female body is useless to society unless it's being sexualized.
March 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just don't understand how this whole "breast feeding is gross" thing ever came about? I know there are still people out there that wouldn't dream of BF'ing their baby because it's gross or creeps them out. Really? Is getting or being pregnant gross too? Because BF'ing is a function of a woman's body just like pregnancy is! Obviously your body is made to do it and it is shown to be the healthiest, why do people view it as something weird??

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
March 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post

Nope, Flint....
March 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I didn't watch the clip, but that actually happened to me last summer at a Six Flags park, a lifeguard came up and told me that I needed to go in the bathroom. I asked her why, and told her that if she didn't eat in there, neither would my child. She said I either needed a cover or to go in the bathroom. I told her it was 108 degrees outside and I was NOT covering my child's head. I turned my back to her and she walked away. When I was done nursing I asked another lifeguard to speak to a manager. The manager told me that it was just park policy that mom be covered or go in the bathroom. I told him that park policy did not supercede Texas state law. I went home that day and called Six Flags headquarters the next day and filed a formal complaint.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
erinelizabeth83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have been livid! she wasn't going to the bathroom at the table she was feeding herchild so there's no reason she should have been asked to go to the bathroom. Are bottle feeding mothers asked to take it to the bathroom? Our society needs to stop oversexualizing womens bodies and have a little more appreciation for what breasts are really for. I don't understand why people think its gross or weird for a women to feed her child the way nature intended.

March 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laisydaisymama View Post
I didn't watch the clip, but that actually happened to me last summer at a Six Flags park, a lifeguard came up and told me that I needed to go in the bathroom. I asked her why, and told her that if she didn't eat in there, neither would my child. She said I either needed a cover or to go in the bathroom. I told her it was 108 degrees outside and I was NOT covering my child's head. I turned my back to her and she walked away. When I was done nursing I asked another lifeguard to speak to a manager. The manager told me that it was just park policy that mom be covered or go in the bathroom. I told him that park policy did not supercede Texas state law. I went home that day and called Six Flags headquarters the next day and filed a formal complaint.

Good for you! Did you ever hear anything back?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
these things happen all the time, you just have to know your state's laws. Not all states have laws protecting you....when I moved here to MA a year and a half ago there was no law at all, now there is.
March 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
Good for you! Did you ever hear anything back?
not really, a really generic, "we'll look into it" type of answer. I also pointed out to them that the "park policy" wasn't listed under the policies page on the Six Flags website, so that made it appear to be more of a "park preference" than anything else. I had season passes and ended up going multiple times after that and I still didn't cover or hide, and no one said anything. I had at least 20+ women, and all of THEIR contacts ready for a nurse in if they did lol.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
People are just ignorant.

I like making the ignorant know that they are so. I'd have pointed out to this manager something along the lines of a big nice fake polite, "Oh, I'm sorry, maybe you aren't up with modern laws. As a manager you probably should be aware that not only do I have the right to feed my baby anywhere I please, your asking me to do so is actually illegal. If you'll provide me with the corporate phone number and your store's identification, I'll gladly provide them the legal proof of this and make sure they have your name and store number to verify it for you." *big grin*

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search